• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Exactly, because you think it's happening until you get vice gripped and you realize in reality you were just being used and your happiness was a fleeting moment.

Getting set is just confidence, it's like fake news how being set has become mainstream.

Groundking

International Debutant
Exactly, because you think it's happening until you get vice gripped and you realize in reality you were just being used and your happiness was a fleeting moment.

Getting set is just confidence, it's like fake news how being set has become mainstream.
And that's why you can get some batsmen come in and look like they could just never get set not matter how long they're in for, even if they have been in for a long while.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Getting set is 100% a fact, there's no debate there. Here for instance are the additional runs / dismissals after having scored x amount of runs chart for the fab four. There's a very clear increase for all in the 0-20 runs period. What's interesting to me though is that this doesn't actually become constant after that, it still tends to have good variability and in both directions too.

Capture.JPG

Kirkut

International Regular
Finger spin is the best form of bowling
Attritional cricket on slow dead pitches is entertaining
The Nagpur wicket wasn't that bad
Performances against minnows, on flat decks, and playing at home should all be considered just as important
Gavaskar isn't a racist
Kohli should bat at 4 in ODIs
Some women could complete in top level mens cricket
The best policy to deal with bowlers who chuck is to just ban any bowler that looks dodgy, regardless of what testing shows
On that note - the ICC testing for chucking lacks transparency and that's a problem
Asian desserts are good

Flame away
You forgot Asian spirits.

Kirkut

International Regular
Speed guns have ruined the art of fast bowling, and in some cases careers too. Fast bowling has become a math now and not an art, a jaffa at 126 kph may not attract as much attention as a 159 kph delivery well left by the batsman.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Finger spin is the best form of bowling - no, it's the worst by far
Attritional cricket on slow dead pitches is entertaining - sometimes
The Nagpur wicket wasn't that bad - unlike your posts, but just like your face
Performances against minnows, on flat decks, and playing at home should all be considered just as important - bull****. Context is everything.
Gavaskar isn't a racist - he isn't when it suits him not to be, like when he chooses to play the race card against match referees
Kohli should bat at 4 in ODIs - no one cares unless it's a WC
Some women could complete in top level mens cricket - very, very few. And if they did it as bowlers they would have to be finger spinners and therefore dross
The best policy to deal with bowlers who chuck is to just ban any bowler that looks dodgy, regardless of what testing shows - wish the mods would ban you tbh
On that note - the ICC testing for chucking lacks transparency and that's a problem - yes it is a problem.
Asian desserts are good - patently false. Of all the **** things you've posted (and they are legion), this is the worst.

Flame away
- Transcribed by TBT on instructions from Burgey.

cnerd123

likes this
work ethic and passion aren't talents ffs the former is a value and the latter is an emotion
You don't think some people are born with more/less work ethic and passion than others?

If so, that's where we're disagreeing then. I think these things are probably as innate as physical ability and intelligence.

Burgey

There's probably a bit of both involved, but I think work ethic is more cultural than innate.

cnerd123

likes this
I think it's a mix of nature and nurture when you talk about physical ability as well, isn't it? It's no surprise the best athletes in most sports grew up playing several different sports - they learn so much more body cooordination that way.

It's just a weird thing in sport how we always lament those who are physically gifted but lack the mental skills/work ethic/desire for success, but we never feel sad when there is a smart, adaptable, driven, hard working cricketer who just doesn't possess the physical ability to match it. The 'what ifs' never get applied to them.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You don't think some people are born with more/less work ethic and passion than others?

If so, that's where we're disagreeing then. I think these things are probably as innate as physical ability and intelligence.
Work ethic is somewhere up near 100% nurtured, not natured.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Form has been proven to be a myth (statistically anyways), but getting set feels like a real thing to me. There have been plenty of cases where a player is just in the zone from ball 1 though, so maybe that's what Gnske is referring to - that you don't always need to spend time in the middle to 'get set'. Or maybe he's just being Gnske

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/42481-class-permanent-form-illusion.html

Seems the charts posted in this thread aren't working anymore.
This is when boffins think everything can be explained in black and white by crunching numbers. Of course form isn't a bloody myth. Was Aaron Finch 'in form' in the English T20 this year, or was it just a statistical anomaly that he scored a ****load of runs? Or is he regularly that good, regularly that better than the standard? Call it confidence, call it form, call it whatever...it's a thing. Just like that hilarious English poster who used to support Yorkshire and sook about everything, and said experience was irrelevant in sport.

And Gnske must be referring to Stick Cricket when he says getting set isn't a thing. Jeepers.

Flem274*

123/5

i think some are nutured to work hard, or learn it themselves, and others are not or choose not to.

Work ethic is a choice.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea I disagree, and that's why I say that here in the thread dedicated to unpopular opinions.

I should get an award for most on-topic post tbh

trundler

The debate seems to be about what is and isn't a choice, which CC isn't the right place for.

Also the first post says you have to cop anything that comes your way you ****

harsh.ag

Yea I disagree, and that's why I say that here in the thread dedicated to unpopular opinions.

I should get an award for most on-topic post tbh
All your opinions are unpopular so it's not like you've to put in any effort

Starfighter

The '150 km/h' bowler is a myth. There has never been a bowler, at least one who's been measured, who could average over 150 for more than a brief period (talking maybe three overs here), and certainly not over the course of a test series.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Any fielder who catches a ball off the bat must have control of it for at least 3 seconds for the catch to count.

I am wary of fielders who instantly celebrate after barely making contact with the ball by tossing it away

Perhaps an unpopular opinion - but hopefully sway opinion towards a popular one