• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Umpires should reinstate batsmen who've been given a send-off by the fielding side.
Why? It didn't influence the actual play in any way. I don't think childish petulance is a strong enough reason to change the course of a match.

fredfertang

Agree the sent off batsman shouldn't be recalled, but the umps should have the power to add up to 25 runs to his score to reflect the seriousness of the bowling side's behaviour (subject to review by the third umpire of course, normal rules as to umpires' call)

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
Cook's 244* at the MCG was a severely underrated knock.

England would have certainly lost 5-0 otherwise.

The difference between losing 4-0 instead of 5-0 is numerous careers being spared.

Starfighter

It just made him look like he had a better series than he did. His median score (10) was a much better indicator of his series impact. Did **** all while the chips were down then steps up on a pitch perfectly suited to him.

Whose career would have ended? England are so weak at the moment there's almost no one to replace anyone. Or almost no-one who can force their way into the selectors' minds anyway, who instead prefer failures like Jennings.

Last edited:

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
Surely there would have been a clean out of the backroom staff, or do the ECB seriously not care these days? I'm not saying he had a good series, just saying that three 5-0 whitewashes is a serious mark on anyone's c.v.

People remember whitewashes and series like '81 and '05.

That series will be forgotten faster than the '13 series in Eng.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Here's one I've explained on here before: in anything but exceptional circumstances that would be rarely, if ever achieved, there's no such thing as 'late' conventional swing. It's parabolic.

Actually, not really an opinion, more of an unpopular fact.

Bolo

State Captain
Here's one I've explained on here before: in anything but exceptional circumstances that would be rarely, if ever achieved, there's no such thing as 'late' conventional swing. It's parabolic.

Actually, not really an opinion, more of an unpopular fact.
I gave this some thought after our last conversation. Functional reverse swing exists within the bounds of modelling. Bowling speed is one factor. Height of release and length impacts the distance the ball travels, which impacts on where on the curve the ball is. The guys we think of as late swingers of the ball (eg Waqar, Steyn) have low points of release, full lengths, and are quick. It doesn't matter how you label this swing, it has the effect of being late swing- bats have less time to adjust.

Revolutions on the ball that come from wrist action will definitely play a role. It might be pretty minor via effective increased traveling distance, but it likely brings a slightly different effect of fluid dynamics into play.

Outside of this, exceptional circumstances might be occurring a lot. Every cricket ball is different, particularly once it has seen a bit of play. Reverse has a different curve to conventional, so the state of the ball clearly has an impact on lateness of swing.

I think you are relying too much on one or two studies here. Fluid dynamics is fiddly. I've seen industry studies (big money and redone frequently) that they have been studying for decades that produce differing results.

Starfighter

Yes, I remember you didn't present much to back up your position aside from 'maybe, conjecture, perhaps' words like above though.

Bolo

State Captain
Yes, I remember you didn't present much to back up your position aside from 'maybe, conjecture, perhaps' words like above though.
I gave a lot of maybes when I was thinking about it for the first time.

I've now given you a categorical answer that it does exist in a functional sense even if the bounds of your argument are correct, as well as some limitations in the bounds of your argument. If you fail to accept the problem in putting too much stead in one or two studies in spite of the flaws, just look at my first paragraph. It leaves no room for maybes even if the information you are working off is correct.

You are marrying an opinion when you fail to regard new information.

Bijed

International Regular
I'm generally not fussed as to whether a test match is a series decider or a dead rubber, or whether an LO game is a WC final or a bilateral JAMODI: I just enjoy each match in and of itself for the contest it provides.

Edit: There are notable exceptions to this rule, The Oval 2005 for example
Yeah ok, this has gone right out the window

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thanks for bumping the thread Bijed.

A century-less tournament for Kohli and a terrific tournament for Root means the gap between the top 2 ODI batsmen has significantly narrowed IMO.