• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyone else get David Duval vibes from Scheffler’s game?

I’m no expert (obviously) but it just doesn’t seem sustainable with all the movement and the substandard putting

Son Of Coco

Schauffukulele having quite a year!

I don't watch a lot of golf these days, so I can't recall ever seeing him hit a shot...although I must have at some stage. He can clearly play the game very well.

grecian

Agree with this. I played Lytham on a windy day, the issue is not the greens at all. One par 4 on the back 9 into the wind, I hit driver and 2 hybrids, hit all 3 pretty well and I was still 50 yds short of the green.

Greens on links courses are not normally the problems. Getting out of bunkers certainly is, especially trying to hold greens from the green side ones. They make those shots look insanely easy.

A 15 handicap would be able to 3 putt the greens, especially if you use your first one to put it into a sensible position.

Schauffele a decent winner, but would he have beaten Rose from the other side of the draw?
Just to say Lawrence was on Rose's side of the draw too, dems the breaks, but churlish in a way, Xander was imperious on the final round, looked so in control.

Molehill

International Captain
Has been for the last 3 editions

Think they just compressed the schedule by a couple of weeks
They moved The Players from May to March to accommodate. I think it was also done to create a bigger gap between Tour Championship and Ryder/Presidents Cup, and also to reduce the total amount of PGA Golf played by the top players (to help fend off one LIV threat).

Talking of LIV, another desperate showing. But for Bryson they’ve been dreadful this year. At least Rahm finally showing some signs of being competitive again, but he was never in the mix for this.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Rose and xander played very simular back 9s, Rose had 3 or 4 ten or 15 footers slide just past the hole to within a foot whereas xander had the same which went in. Fine margins but perfect execution was the difference.
Thought Lawrence was strange not to go for the eagle on 16 which would have given him an opportunity to get to -9 on 17 and 18.

CartyDurham

International Captain
I’ve chosen Harrington, Cejka and Broadhurst in the Senior Open

also Bhatia, Van Rooyen, Hoge and Hodges in 3M tournament in USA

CartyDurham

International Captain
I’ve chosen Harrington, Cejka and Broadhurst in the Senior Open

also Bhatia, Van Rooyen, Hoge and Hodges in 3M tournament in USA
Senior open first round finishes

Broadhurst T2, Harrington T7 and Cejka T28 for me

leader is on -4 S Ames

my American picks are way down the field so need a good day on Friday

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
A friend of mine went to LIV yesterday, said it was absolute carnage. Turns out that giving away free beer to the English is maybe not such a good idea. "Golf but Louder"......but maybe not that loud if you ask Jon Rahm. He sent a lovely video of McDowell, Casey and Koepka walking between tees through the crowds.....could they have looked any more grumpy?

Molehill

International Captain
Think I'll keep the Olympic Golf to the Golf Thread. Whether you agree with it being there or not, one thing is for sure, the big boys have all shown up this time, and so have the crowds - massive numbers by the looks of it.

It'll be interesting to see how the course plays, the US obviously struggled massively with it in the Ryder Cup. You can't bomb and gouge Le National.

social

Think I'll keep the Olympic Golf to the Golf Thread. Whether you agree with it being there or not, one thing is for sure, the big boys have all shown up this time, and so have the crowds - massive numbers by the looks of it.

It'll be interesting to see how the course plays, the US obviously struggled massively with it in the Ryder Cup. You can't bomb and gouge Le National.
Shame that there’s been so much rain as the course is soft & there for the taking

Molehill

International Captain
Shame that there’s been so much rain as the course is soft & there for the taking
The other difference with the Ryder Cup is that the rough is not remotely as penal. I saw Schauffele hit a rescue out of it yesterday on a par 5, they were getting little more than wedges out in 2018. Hideki had one of his rarely seen hot putting days yesterday, I doubt he maintains his lead.

Scheff, Schauff, Rahm looking the 3 most likely.

social

Hovland is another golfer who has been pretty ordinary this season apart from his PGA performance

No expert but I don’t really like his swing

Molehill

International Captain
Hovland is another golfer who has been pretty ordinary this season apart from his PGA performance

No expert but I don’t really like his swing
He was pretty much the best golfer in the world this time last year. Didn't he then make swing or equipment changes? Never understood why they do that....

Fleetwood providing some decent GB interest, no surprise given he's won here before and his Ryder Cup record was outstanding.

social

He was pretty much the best golfer in the world this time last year. Didn't he then make swing or equipment changes? Never understood why they do that....

Fleetwood providing some decent GB interest, no surprise given he's won here before and his Ryder Cup record was outstanding.
Changed his coach & has since gone back to his original one

social

Lots of Australians weren’t happy with Day’s selection as he doesn’t support the local tour but still good to see him doing well as he’s had a tough time with his back

If not him, happy to see Tommy (seems like a good guy) or Rahm (PGAT heads explode) win