• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

CartyDurham

International Captain
Xander in with a 65

outstanding play

and Rosey nails a birdie on 18 for a 67. He’s been brilliant all week

future Ryder cup captain Rose for me

Brook's side

International Regular
I reckon Rose needs to find a new caddie again, because he can't play better than that. Just reading the greens.

Well done on your bet CartyDurham. Nice result.

CartyDurham

International Captain
I reckon Rose needs to find a new caddie again, because he can't play better than that. Just reading the greens.

Well done on your bet CartyDurham. Nice result.
Thanks

now I’ve got to start researching next years majors

2 out of 4 is one of my all time bests

Xander today was outstanding and a deserved winner

feel for Rose as he hasn’t got much more time at major level and I thought he to was outstanding this week

Molehill

International Captain
I’d be surprised if it was much different

The variable is the tee you use as the championship ones are generally a lot further back - longer the ball is in the air > more likely to be impacted by the wind

Some courses are tricked up by speeding up the greens for the pros but it might not be possible here due to the wind as the ball would be blown off
Agree with this. I played Lytham on a windy day, the issue is not the greens at all. One par 4 on the back 9 into the wind, I hit driver and 2 hybrids, hit all 3 pretty well and I was still 50 yds short of the green.

Greens on links courses are not normally the problems. Getting out of bunkers certainly is, especially trying to hold greens from the green side ones. They make those shots look insanely easy.

A 15 handicap would be able to 3 putt the greens, especially if you use your first one to put it into a sensible position.

Schauffele a decent winner, but would he have beaten Rose from the other side of the draw?

Brook's side

International Regular
Why did they move the USPGA forward in the calendar?

Weird:
a) all the majors in a 4 month period
b) there not being a consolation to look forward to after The Open

Brook's side

International Regular
Rose having only 1 major's a reminder of how difficult it is to win them.

Just looking at British players since 1950:
Faldo 6
McIlroy 4
Lyle 2
Jacklin 2

nobody else since 1950 won more than 1.

Even Europeans:
Seve 5
Harrington 3
Langer 2
Jose 2
Kaymer 2
Rahm 2

Never won any: Montgomery, Westwood, Casey, Donald, Poulter...