• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

kyear2

International Coach
Can understand why Barnes isn’t there, but surely O’Reilly should be?
Yes, knew this would come up.

There are quite a few players with sterling peer reps and stats that didn't make all 3 lists.

Batsmen
Headley
Pollock
Richards

Bowlers
O'Reilly

All Rounders
Procter

Slip
Barlow
Mitchell

Headley and O'Reilly apart most of the then would have played for pre exclusion SA, but Headley and Pollock were also among the very best batsmen ever, but seems to have been phased out of the conversation because of relatively short their careers were. Why is O'Reilly the exception?

He played 27 tests vs two counties, and while he makes my 3rd team (almost by default) that isn't nearly enough of a resume, especially considering how we now apparently look at Headley and Pollock. Quality yes, without doubt, but when I see PA&G saying he's the greatest spinner ever, it just doesn't feel right.

And yes, I'm aware that this would be an unpopular choice and not looking to convince anyone to agree with it.

Archer6K

U19 12th Man
Yes, knew this would come up.

There are quite a few players with sterling peer reps and stats that didn't make all 3 lists.

Batsmen
Headley
Pollock
Richards

Bowlers
O'Reilly

All Rounders
Procter

Slip
Barlow
Mitchell

Headley and O'Reilly apart most of the then would have played for pre exclusion SA, but Headley and Pollock were also among the very best batsmen ever, but seems to have been phased out of the conversation because of relatively short their careers were. Why is O'Reilly the exception?

He played 27 tests vs two counties, and while he makes my 3rd team (almost by default) that isn't nearly enough of a resume, especially considering how we now apparently look at Headley and Pollock. Quality yes, without doubt, but when I see PA&G saying he's the greatest spinner ever, it just doesn't feel right.

And yes, I'm aware that this would be an unpopular choice and not looking to convince anyone to agree with it.
How would you rank Graeme Smith as a slip fielder?

kyear2

International Coach
How would you rank Graeme Smith as a slip fielder?
Very safe, but didn't even make the runner up list.

First slip is normally "protected" by the keeper and 2nd slip and they tend to get the more regulation chances.

Most of the guys listed mainly stood at 2nd, and along with being safe, also took the blinders, the half chances, and the technically more difficult ones.

Outside of a few on the periphery, and I haven't seen everyone, but considering the cutoff (around 80 catches), think the list is pretty decent.

Under consideration were also Botham, Younis, Chappelli, Greig, Lloyd etc.

kyear2

International Coach
Not going to pretend this is consensus, but a lot closer to it, I would imagine

Top 14 Bats
Bradman
Tendulkar
Sobers
Hobbs

Richards
Smith
Lara
Hutton

Hammond
Gavaskar
Ponting
Chappell

Kallis
Sangakkara

While I'm at it.

Top 14 bowlers
Marshall
McGrath
Hadlee

Warne
Steyn
Muralitharan
Ambrose

Imran
Donald
Lillee
Trueman
Wasim

Garner
Lindwall

And why not

Top 14 Slip fielders
Hammond
Simpson
Chappell
Waugh
Ponting
Sobers
Richardson
Hooper
Flemming
Kallis

Taylor
Jayawardene
Dravid
Hayden

Should also be listed...

Top 8 all rounders
Sobers
Imran
Kallis
Miller
Botham
Hadlee
Pollock
Kapil

Obviously the catching list is subjective, but tried to get the best of what I've seen and from what I've read.

Edit: replaced Gavaskar with Flemming and added all rounders

Thinking about adding captaincy, but that's never been my thing. Some suggestions welcome, but thinking

Border
Flemming
Ranatunga
Lloyd
Imran
Smith

Breadley, Worrell are renowned, but like Headley, Pollock, O'Reilly really didn't captain that many matches.

Even among those named, Lloyd nor Imran were known as great strategists, but Lloyd "created" the four pronged pace attack and a dynasty, and Imran is credited with turning around Pakistan cricket and mentoring the 2 W's..

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Thinking about adding captaincy, but that's never been my thing. Some suggestions welcome, but thinking

Border
Flemming
Ranatunga
Lloyd
Imran
Smith

Breadley, Worrell are renowned, but like Headley, Pollock, O'Reilly really didn't captain that many matches.

Even among those named, Lloyd nor Imran were known as great strategists, but Lloyd "created" the four pronged pace attack and a dynasty, and Imran is credited with turning around Pakistan cricket and mentoring the 2 W's..
Worrell and Brearley are definitely Top 5; their impact can't just be defined with no of matches. I think Bradman belongs there based on his sheer success. Can't think of really anyone else on the go; except Ian Chappell and Douglas Jardine.

kyear2

International Coach
Worrell captained 15 matches, Breadley 30 I think, and in my mind, wasn't Worrell's impact way more regional than international? It meant a lot in the region, even decades later, I have no idea how it was perceived elsewhere.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Worrell captained 15 matches, Breadley 30 I think, and in my mind, wasn't Worrell's impact way more regional than international? It meant a lot in the region, even decades later, I have no idea how it was perceived elsewhere.
You definitely have more knowledge on Windies cricket, but as I see it; without Worrell I doubt whether Windies would even had that winning mentality. Virtually everyone who came across him had nothing but the utmost of respect for him; and yeah, I think based on impact, I will keep him ahead of Lloyd. Oh, and another captain I forgot to name: Richie Benaud.

Archer6K

U19 12th Man

Border
Flemming
Ranatunga
Lloyd
Imran
Smith

Richie Benaud was ranked the best captain by CricketWeb

kyear2

International Coach
You definitely have more knowledge on Windies cricket, but as I see it; without Worrell I doubt whether Windies would even had that winning mentality. Virtually everyone who came across him had nothing but the utmost of respect for him; and yeah, I think based on impact, I will keep him ahead of Lloyd. Oh, and another captain I forgot to name: Richie Benaud.
I thought of Benaud, but wanted to keep it to one from each country and I know how Border is looked upon.

But agree.

Coronis

International Coach
Beanud always said that Worrell was the best man manager he’d ever seen.

Was reading up on a certain player today and found this quote regarding a player switching from the middle order to opening.

He asked me how I liked it. I said it suited me. 'You batted very well in this game,' he said, 'but not quite as an opener. You were looking for runs all the time. I think what you want to watch as an opener is not getting out ... What is needed from my openers, and is most important, is patience and plenty of it.'

Archer6K

U19 12th Man

kyear2

International Coach
Top 14 Bats
Bradman

Tendulkar
Sobers
Hobbs

Richards
Smith
Lara
Hutton

Hammond
Gavaskar
Ponting
Chappell

Kallis
Sangakkara

Top 14 bowlers
Marshall
McGrath
Hadlee

Steyn
Warne
Muralitharan
Ambrose

Imran
Donald
Lillee
Trueman
Wasim

O'Reilly
Garner

Top 12 Slip fielders
Hammond
Simpson
Sobers
Chappell
Taylor
Waugh
Ponting
Richardson
Hooper
Kallis

Jayawardene
Dravid

Top 8 all rounders
Sobers
Imran
Gilchrist
Kallis
Miller
Botham
Hadlee
Pollock

Top 6 Captains
Benaud
Ranatunga
Taylor
Flemming

Worrell
Jardine

All Time XI

Sir Leonard Hutton *
Sunil Gavaskar^
Sir Donald Bradman
Sir. I. V. A. Richards^
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Garfield Sobers^(5)
Adam Gilchrist +
Malcolm Marshall (1)
Shane Warne (4)
Dale Steyn (3)
Glenn McGrath (2)

Last edited:

kyear2

International Coach
Should be my adjustment / addition for now.

Top 16 Bats
Bradman

Tendulkar
Sobers
Hobbs

Richards
Smith
Lara
Hutton

Hammond
Gavaskar
Ponting