• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka in Australia thread

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
this is pathetic 9/485, we should have made 700!
and gilly is gonna be left standed with sh!t all runs

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That's why we use our discretion and common sense. My definition of World Class is a bit different from Marc, but I agree that Jayasuriya is leagues away from the best (players) of the best (players), such as Lara, Tendulkar, Dravid, Ponting, Hayden.

My rankings...

Upper chamber - BC Lara, SR Tendulkar, R Dravid (controversial yes)
2nd Level - RT Ponting, ML Hayden
Middle chamber - MP Vaughan, MH Richardson, DS Lehmann, AC Gilchrist, GP Thorpe, VVS Laxman
2nd Level - ST Jayasuriya, RR Sarwan, NJ Astle
Bottom chamber - Almost everyone else.

Somewhere along those lines where the middle chamber and upward is world class.

you missed out Jacques Kallis, Herschelle Gibbs and Inzamam Ul Haq..

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
broncoman said:
i am thinking that is the worst ball ever bowled thats taken a test wicket!
the ball really should be somewhere in downtown cairns right now....
You obviously didn't see Katich's 6 wickets against Zimbabwe then?

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
For me World Class is the best of the best, the top few players - Jayasuriya is nowhere near that.
a world class player is one who can make it into most sides in the world......jayasuriya is pretty lucky he plays for SL because he wouldnt make it into too many other test sides.

tooextracool

International Coach
dude said:
have you forgotten an average is total runs devided by number of innings played? sanath has over 300+ ODI's in his career. dravid has 229 .ponting himself has 201.

"World class is the best of the best, "

best of what best? best out of your favourites? you need define it further to prove a point mate?

world class means alot more than mere averages. thilan samaraweera has an excellent test average that does not make him world class now does it?
sanath jayasuriya is definetly a world class ODI batsman....i think we've seen that time and time again. but as a test match player he has serious limitations.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SirBloody Idiot said:
For me, there are only a couple of these 'World Class' players.

You do not put good but not brilliant batsman in the category with Tendulkar and Lara.

No doubt Jayasuria is a good batsman, but many are better.

Tendulkar, Hayden, Pointing, Lara and Dravid are all better than Jayasuria.
I couldn't have put it better myself (except to add few more players to the better than list)

And the Solanki point referred to above is meant to illustrate how using 2 or 3 innings from a player to give him some sort of mantle is extremely misleading.

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Why does it?

A few good knocks, but what about the rest of his career?

Heck, even Vikram Solanki's got an ODI century...
thats what i have been saying about flintoff and harmisson. let them perform consistently for a long period and then we will have them in world 11.other wise u will have to take all based on current form.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mister Wright said:
You obviously didn't see Katich's 6 wickets against Zimbabwe then?
yes, but zimbabwes poor batyting contributed to those wickets, hayden should still be spewin about missing out on a double ton getting out to that ball!

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
broncoman said:
yes, but zimbabwes poor batyting contributed to those wickets, hayden should still be spewin about missing out on a double ton getting out to that ball!
And Hayden didn't play a poor shot? :D

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The Lankans have fallen for a PR trap- they don't have the fast bowling resources to exploit any bowler-friendly conditions, though their spinners are also capable of doing as well or even better. Their main strength is batting, so they should have batted first- a mistake Marvan will remember for a long time. The Aussies have taken the match away in the first two days when they have batted first repeatedly, against weak pace attacks like this one.

That said, Chandana's success is surprising, since he is not a bowler of Test standard. Why were none out of Lokuarachchi, Herath and especially Nimesh Perera playing? They too could benefit, couldn't they? If they succeeded, it would serve some purpose.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Chandana is a handy bowler, IMO - he would be much improved if he had variation though.

A big mistake for Atapattu to bat first.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I'm expecting Atapattu to get out early tomorrow though - he does that a hell of a lot.

If he goes, I think the whole team might.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Or he can turn that start into a big hundred, then we'll have a competitive game. :)