• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka in Australia thread

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
If you rate Jayasuriya as World Class then you have a very low threshold for "World Class"
just out of curiosity, what is world class in your opinion?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
For me World Class is the best of the best, the top few players - Jayasuriya is nowhere near that.

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
That is my question, who is the best of the best and how do you rate those who fall in that category?

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
i dont mean to sound biased here but there are two ways of rating a player (in my mind at least). one is based on a players current form & the other is based on historical achievements( stats. & records).

for jayasuirya to have scored 300+ in an innings, scored the fastest 50 ever recorded and once hold the fastest 100 ever recorded, to hold the record for the most number of sixes and to have scored 189 in a one day innings puts him in the "world class" category mate. Dont forget he played a key part in changing world crickets view of playing the first 15 overs. stats also show as of january this year he has 253 one day international wickets to his name as well.

i dont know many players who can single handedly decide the fate of a game of cricket by his own performance, we all know when jayasuriya perfoms SL does well.

that in my mind warrants a bit of acknowledgement mate? do you still not think that he is world class? i'm not barfing out insanely that he is the worlds best here. but what im saying is most interntationla players recognize his efforts and most are aware of his capabilites, most interntaional teams deem his abilities as world class. why dont you?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
biased indian said:
so both flintoff and giles misses out
Where have I ever said that either are world class in Tests?

Oh that's right, I haven't, all I've said about Giles is that he's not as bad as people like to make out.

In ODI, Flintoff would get in, without a doubt.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
dude said:
for jayasuirya to have scored 300+ in an innings, scored the fastest 50 ever recorded and once hold the fastest 100 ever recorded, to hold the record for the most number of sixes and to have scored 189 in a one day innings puts him in the "world class" category mate.
Why does it?

A few good knocks, but what about the rest of his career?

Heck, even Vikram Solanki's got an ODI century...

dude said:
i dont know many players who can single handedly decide the fate of a game of cricket by his own performance, we all know when jayasuriya perfoms SL does well.

that in my mind warrants a bit of acknowledgement mate? do you still not think that he is world class?
No I don't - World class is the best of the best, it's your SRT's, your Laras, your Pontings and Dravids, you know the one's that average over 50.

It's not your inconsistent hit or miss merchants.

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
have you forgotten an average is total runs devided by number of innings played? sanath has over 300+ ODI's in his career. dravid has 229 .ponting himself has 201.

"World class is the best of the best, "

best of what best? best out of your favourites? you need define it further to prove a point mate?

world class means alot more than mere averages. thilan samaraweera has an excellent test average that does not make him world class now does it?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
dude said:
have you forgotten an average is total runs devided by number of innings played? sanath has over 300+ ODI's in his career. dravid has 229 .ponting himself has 201.

"World class is the best of the best, "

best of what best? best out of your favourites? you need define it further to prove a point mate?

world class means alot more than mere averages. thilan samaraweera has an excellent test average that does not make him world class now does it?
That's why we use our discretion and common sense. My definition of World Class is a bit different from Marc, but I agree that Jayasuriya is leagues away from the best (players) of the best (players), such as Lara, Tendulkar, Dravid, Ponting, Hayden.

My rankings...

Upper chamber - BC Lara, SR Tendulkar, R Dravid (controversial yes)
2nd Level - RT Ponting, ML Hayden
Middle chamber - MP Vaughan, MH Richardson, DS Lehmann, AC Gilchrist, GP Thorpe, VVS Laxman
2nd Level - ST Jayasuriya, RR Sarwan, NJ Astle
Bottom chamber - Almost everyone else.

Somewhere along those lines where the middle chamber and upward is world class.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
dude said:

No, but a "World Class" player doesn't average around 40, he averages in excess of 50.

Jayasuriya would need to consistently play at the peak of his powers to even get close ti the tag of World Class.

Even in ODI's, where he's been more successful, his overall record isn't actually that good, and it's noticeable from the ODI experiment thread how few people even put him as an opener in that team, so how can you claim he's World Class?

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
"Even in ODI's, where he's been more successful, his overall record isn't actually that good, and it's noticeable from the ODI experiment thread how few people even put him as an opener in that team, so how can you claim he's World Class?"

it's not bout how many people add players to their imaginary teams on this board that really matters. even Glen mc grath said he was targeting jayasuriya in this series for they know theat he's the single player who can turn it around.

if you notice i've never once commented who i consider world class nor havi stated sanath is world class. but merely questioned how you judge players to be "world class" and then you replied mentioneing averages and mr. solanki in you reply :D

this is not me claiming jayasuriya is world class but this is me asking you your defenetion of world class. just t bring us back to the point, so your saying averages play alot for a player to be deemed world class? and not his over all contribution to the game? his team?

Last edited:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
For me, there are only a couple of these 'World Class' players.

You do not put good but not brilliant batsman in the category with Tendulkar and Lara.

No doubt Jayasuria is a good batsman, but many are better.

Tendulkar, Hayden, Pointing, Lara and Dravid are all better than Jayasuria.

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
aus 425/3 damn! when are they gonna stop! :blink:

to me if someone can change the way the game is played by their own style and method thats class. if someone makes such an impact in the game of cricket by his own abilities, thats world class. if a batsmen or bowler is feard by their opponents their world class.

Last edited:

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
I've noticed that the middle order turns in mediocre scores alot when the openers put on a huge opening partnership. They must get bored watching them. :D

Aus v NZ (0/224)
http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchScorecard.asp?MatchCode=1581

Aus v NZ (0/223)
http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchScorecard.asp?MatchCode=1587

Aus v SA (0/219)
http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchScorecard.asp?MatchCode=1599

Aus v Eng (0/195)
http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchScorecard.asp?MatchCode=1652

Aus v WI (0/242)
http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchScorecard.asp?MatchCode=1663

And now this current test.

Perhaps the openers should avoid huge opening partnerships. :D :D :D