• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka in Australia thread

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But what fault is there visible in his technique? Both he and Daren Ganga appear to have the book covered.
It's mainly early on. He's susceptible to the ball swinging or cutting in at him. He has this habit of playing outside of the ball, before his fottwork gets going. You only have to look at how many scores of 0-35 he's got. From that point on, though, you're right; his technique is near flawless. Glorious, even.

Same with Ganga, though I notice he's broadened his shot range these days. Great to see.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
Ganga still hasn't managed to put together the kind of innings that the top order needs. That said, WI really doesn't have much of a top order....btw anyone knows what happend to Wavell Hinds?? He and Gayle were quite good together.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Revelation said:
Ganga still hasn't managed to put together the kind of innings that the top order needs. That said, WI really doesn't have much of a top order....btw anyone knows what happend to Wavell Hinds?? He and Gayle were quite good together.
Hinds is not yet match-fit.

Re: Ganga, he doesn't play enough attacking strokes. It's almost a given that he'll bat for a couple of hours, but the fact that he doesn't look to get some runs in that time is reflected in his average as he eventually gets out for starts. Look at when his success came against Australia - he was positive.

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
Top_Cat said:
It's mainly early on. He's susceptible to the ball swinging or cutting in at him. He has this habit of playing outside of the ball, before his fottwork gets going.
right on! if you also notice marvans grip has alot to do with it, in some instances at the point of impact the bats more tilted towards the on side, after impact he has the tendency to straighten it. or after impact he tends to shuffle his body around the point of impact thus creating an impression that it was played dead straight with a straight bat.

i'm not even gonna comment on the outcome of this match. In the recent tests it's been so close that the games could have gone either way and trying to guess the outcome of this looks real hard, anything can happen!

Last edited:

Cloete

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Hinds is not yet match-fit.

Re: Ganga, he doesn't play enough attacking strokes. It's almost a given that he'll bat for a couple of hours, but the fact that he doesn't look to get some runs in that time is reflected in his average as he eventually gets out for starts. Look at when his success came against Australia - he was positive.
How's Samuels coming along??

He's been out with a back injury? for ages if i recall correctly!!

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Match State: Stumps - Day 4

Australia 517 & 194/2 (49.0 ov)
Sri Lanka 455

Australia lead by 256 runs with 8 wickets remaining

Australia RR: 3.96

Martyn 52* (55)
Hayden 68* (124)

Current Partnership: 89 runs, 17.1 overs, RR: 5.18

Craig

World Traveller
Revelation said:
Down the pecking behind Devon Smith.

tooextracool

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
It's mainly early on. He's susceptible to the ball swinging or cutting in at him. He has this habit of playing outside of the ball, before his fottwork gets going. You only have to look at how many scores of 0-35 he's got. From that point on, though, you're right; his technique is near flawless. Glorious, even.
yep spot on.....perhaps they should try batting him at no 4?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Cloete said:
How's Samuels coming along??

He's been out with a back injury? for ages if i recall correctly!!
Samuels is fit now, but just not available for West Indies selection nor proven match-fit yet.

Slow Love™

International Captain
SquidAU said:
I think this game will end in a draw....
It looks kinda like a draw to me - it's hard to see us running through their lineup within two sessions on this pitch. I dunno, maybe if the Aussies can score at lightning speed over the first hour and declare at that point - it's risky though, in what's only a two-test series. I wouldn't be giving the Sri Lankans a genuine look in if I was Ponting, there's too much at stake.

Atapattu must be kicking himself about his decision at the toss. Still, early in the Aussie second innings, the Sri Lankans looked to have probably the best chance of winning if only because I thought the Aussies would have to declare at a pretty dodgy total to give themselves enough time to bowl the Sri Lankans out. There's a fair bit of criticism at an Aussie forum I visit because they think the Australians batted too long (they didn't), but the fact is that wickets like this aren't particularly conducive to results.

Simon

it will be a draw for sure, as good as out bowling is, the pitch is too good for us to have a chance to rip through them in 2 sessions, hopefully warney gets to have a crack at getting some wickets though, rather than us just batting till 4.30pm and the game being called off

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:
Definite Draw now. No chance for Shane to get 6 more wickets!
With Warne, I wouldn't discount anything!

Remember that this SL side is by no means the greatest batting line up around.

Top_Cat

It does look like a draw but if a full day's play is going to eventuate, I'd declare at 300 lead (just bat for an hour) and send the SL's back in. I get the feeling that's what Ricky has got planned, or maybe 350+ lead. We'll see.