• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka in Australia thread

tooextracool

International Coach
bennyr said:
Ian Healy worried me by saying that Lee would be pivotal in India. Short of taking five bowlers into the tests I don't see any way there is a place for him with the form of the existing attack. But you never can trust the selectors.
while i dont think he should be part of the starting XI for the first test, i do believe that it would be a good idea that he is part of the squad to tour india especially if he is fit....india havent always been comfortable against real pace.....and he might get the most out of those dead wickets with that.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's wrong with it? It makes for interesting posting, as long as posters aren't saying anything terrible about other forum members they should not be pulled up for critising players (no matter what the basis). Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it shouldn't happen.
I wasn't advocating an official response (chill, PY) and didn't think I even inferred it.

And there's a VAST difference between 'criticising' players in terms of a well thought-out critique (for example) and 'lampooning' them. Highlighting Elliott's last 10 innings like that is the literary equivalent of throwing rotten tomatoes at him and yelling "YOU SUUUUUUUCK!".

Boring. Just my opinion. You won't get banned or sanctioned in any way for stuff like that, true, but as you've given your opinion, so I shall give mine.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Andre said:
No, you're not alone. I'm also sick of this petty state rivalries that go on - they all represent Australia, which is made up of 6 states. 6.
Don't forget the Territories. :(

PY

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
I wasn't advocating an official response (chill, PY) and didn't think I even inferred it.

And there's a VAST difference between 'criticising' players in terms of a well thought-out critique (for example) and 'lampooning' them. Highlighting Elliott's last 10 innings like that is the literary equivalent of throwing rotten tomatoes at him and yelling "YOU SUUUUUUUCK!".

Boring. Just my opinion. You won't get banned or sanctioned in any way for stuff like that, true, but as you've given your opinion, so I shall give mine.
Fair enough. :)

Apologies, I took you mentioning that you are Staff and are sick of it that you might use your moderation powers of persuasion a la Neil.

For future reference, nothing I post on here is in anger (within reason) nor should it be regarded as me proverbially raising my voise because I don't see the point in getting angry.

However, I must take issue on the rotten tomato point. A well placed tomato/egg is always welcome when it's aimed at John Prescott (if you can be bothered to look it up try "egg" and "John Prescott" in Google :D)

EDIT: I just did it and website of the day = Prescott ain't a bad egg....

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Top_Cat said:
Highlighting Elliott's last 10 innings like that is the literary equivalent of throwing rotten tomatoes at him and yelling "YOU SUUUUUUUCK!".

For me it looked a valid point.

The same have been said on numerous occasions by Englishmen about Vikram Solanki...

Top_Cat

yeh, but thats got nothing to do with canberra does it!
Nothing has anything to do with Canberra, man.

Come on, you knew that that was coming. Muahahahaha................

And Mister Wright, I just want to unreservedly apologise for before. Bad timing is the only defence I have. Sorry, dude.

Simon

yeh i did expect it, but the way the ACB just dissed canberra a few seasons ago was unforgivable....

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
This State hate sounds similar to what happens in NZ with rugby..especially Auckland & Canterbury.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The Lankan batting performance has been the worst in recent times. It is about time the selectors serve a notice to all the players- with the Asia Cup around the corner, they cannot afford another Darwin-esque goof up, if they have to stay in the team that plays the series. There is no way the current team will survive, if they play like this.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top_Cat said:
Nothing has anything to do with Canberra, man.

Come on, you knew that that was coming. Muahahahaha................

And Mister Wright, I just want to unreservedly apologise for before. Bad timing is the only defence I have. Sorry, dude.
Apologise for what?

iamdavid

International Debutant
The ACTCA have a long term plan for re-admitance to the ING Cup & eventually playing Pura Cup cricket.

But short of winning the CA Cup I just dont know what they can do to convince CA they are up to it anytime in the near future.

It is kinda frustrating because we beat Tasmania and Western Australia comfortably at both Under 15 & Under 17 levels......and were very unlucky to loose to QLD in 15's.
So the future is bright.

If we had all the players who originated from Canberra back here (Haddin , Bevan , Higgs , Dawson , etc) we'd be a half decent side , but chances dont look good.

I reckon there is enough young talent around for a seventh side , but I see the other side of the argument aswell , it would be a pain in the ass and effect the format of the competition....introducing a bye.
It would also slightly dialute the standard of the competiton and if it aint broken why fix it?

tooextracool

International Coach
Arjun said:
they cannot afford another Darwin-esque goof up, if they have to stay in the team that plays the series. There is no way the current team will survive, if they play like this.
err, the difference between an ODI series in the subcontinent and a test series in australia.......

Simon

iamdavid said:
The ACTCA have a long term plan for re-admitance to the ING Cup & eventually playing Pura Cup cricket.

But short of winning the CA Cup I just dont know what they can do to convince CA they are up to it anytime in the near future.

It is kinda frustrating because we beat Tasmania and Western Australia comfortably at both Under 15 & Under 17 levels......and were very unlucky to loose to QLD in 15's.
So the future is bright.

If we had all the players who originated from Canberra back here (Haddin , Bevan , Higgs , Dawson , etc) we'd be a half decent side , but chances dont look good.

I reckon there is enough young talent around for a seventh side , but I see the other side of the argument aswell , it would be a pain in the ass and effect the format of the competition....introducing a bye.
It would also slightly dialute the standard of the competiton and if it aint broken why fix it?
david, remember when we were in the comp, we didnt win a lot of games, beat victoria a few times, but in most matches we were competitive. i can only recall 2 or 3 times we got flogged, so really we should have never been kicked out in the first place.

the problem with the ACTCA is that its broke, theres no funding, its poorly run and doesnt have enough exposure. how many canberrans do u think knew the comets came 2nd in the CA cup last year, probably not many.

theres some damn good players in canberra to have a decent side at least, Sven Holcome, David Jeffrey, Andrew James, Mark Divin and David McNees are all pretty handy cricketers.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Arjun said:
The Lankan batting performance has been the worst in recent times. It is about time the selectors serve a notice to all the players- with the Asia Cup around the corner, they cannot afford another Darwin-esque goof up, if they have to stay in the team that plays the series. There is no way the current team will survive, if they play like this.
What I want to know is who does Russel Arnold have naked photographs of?