• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka in Australia thread

bennyr

U19 12th Man
It looks to me like Australia has a decent, in form, bowling attack again.

Ian Healy worried me by saying that Lee would be pivotal in India. Short of taking five bowlers into the tests I don't see any way there is a place for him with the form of the existing attack. But you never can trust the selectors.

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Nice result, Good to see Elliot failed miserably, its nice to get one back at the victorians, 1 run and 1 catch for the match?

Great to see Lehmann scored 2 very hard fought 50's to steady Australia in both innings.

Was impressed by Kasper's bowling in the 2nd innings, I dont really rate him all that much compared to Gillespie and co, but he proved me wrong and i respect him for that, is a very capable bowler to the lefties. I hope he continue's the form next week in his home state.

Here's to a good test match in Cairns, hopefully we will see a good pitch for batters and bowlers anda hard fought match. I'm flying out later this week to Cairns so i'm hoping the trip will be rewarded by some good cricket.

Eclipse

International Debutant
bennyr said:
It looks to me like Australia has a decent, in form, bowling attack again.

Ian Healy worried me by saying that Lee would be pivotal in India. Short of taking five bowlers into the tests I don't see any way there is a place for him with the form of the existing attack. But you never can trust the selectors.
If the selectors dumped Kaspa for Lee that would be the last straw.

personaly I dont want to see Lee in the test side again untill he is a way better bowler and proves it at FC level.

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
AUST_HiTMaN said:
Nice result, Good to see Elliot failed miserably, its nice to get one back at the victorians, 1 run and 1 catch for the match?
My god, your an absolute *****. Forget what state there from, they are representing OUR COUNTRY. I love to see Katich, Hayden etc. fail in the sheild but when there playing test matches I wanna see them suceed. Get over yourself.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Warne is god said:
My god, your an absolute *****. Forget what state there from, they are representing OUR COUNTRY. I love to see Katich, Hayden etc. fail in the sheild but when there playing test matches I wanna see them suceed. Get over yourself.
I agree 100%

I felt for him a bit I mean he has not been bought back into test cricket in easy cercimstances this pitch was a dog.

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Then why have him there? If he is representing OUR country he did a poor job of it. I dont care what state he is from but in this post all you victorians been giving hell to Mr Wright about him wanting Martin Love to play instead of Elliot, thought may as well get one back. I couldnt care if it was Mike Hussey playing or Martin Love or Elliot, if you score 1 and 0 in a test match then you have obviously failed. No questions about it. Why he was selected as a number 3, god only knows.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Grow up, eh? I mean how old are you really? What a terrible thing to say. You should be ashamed of yourself for not having the basic capability of being able to put stupid, moronic state rivalries below the success of someone else.

Wishing failure upon someone is really, truly pathetic. We don't need this sort of sentiment around here. There's been far too much of it and I, having been a staff member for a couple of years now, am SICK OF IT. And I don't think I'm an orphan in this regard. :@

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
Who bagged the Queenslanders? Kasper did well. And if you wanted a number 3 then they should have gone for Hodgie, he's been in better form than Michael Hussey and Martin Love by a mile.

Top_Cat

So it was allright for everyone to bag the queenslanders but not vice versa?
Okay since you didn't get it from my post I'll say this to everyone; enough with the stupid state rivalry stuff, okay? It's gone far enough and just ends up degenerating into a shouting contest where each side shouts the names of players they think should be in the side.

And by the way, it really does weaken your position on the extreme barracking issue when you engage in it yourself. To argue with a fool says the same for both?

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
I made my comment because it is what i believe, I believed Elliot should not have been picked in the first place, but i didnt comment on it because i can't think of a suitable replacement for Ponting due to everyone mentioned having their pro's and con's. However Elliot was dropped from the Australian side for a reason, he wasnt performing, simple, he has continued that record. It might have been a wiser move in hindsight to go for someone like Hodge, who is in good form. Alot of IF's and BUT's. Also i wonder how Elliot would of gone if they put him in as opener and dropped Langer to 3, from memory that was where Langer started off his International Career (please correct me if im wrong).

As for my state comment, i'm sorry i caught you on a bad day as it was going on alot before i made my comment, im just sick of people saying Victorians hardly get a fair go in the Australian team, if they arnt up to national standard, then there's your answer.

But if it means so much to you, forget i even said it mate.I realise it was silly the comment about Victorians, but i still believe in where i stand on Elliot

Last edited:

Cloete

International Captain
Come on guys... how is this different to people arguing over their countries??

The fact is obviously he feels Elliott shouldn't be there... he never stated he WANTED him to fail, but the fact is Elliot quite clearly did fail. Now he may think it's good because someone he feels is more deserving might get it(Which might include Hodge, if that satisfies you Victorians who are just as bad!). It's funny how alot of people impose authority on such minor issues when they let things so blatantly biased slide, this is entirely his opinion and I can't believe people get so heated when he's showing virtually no bias here except agaisnt a player (Last time I checked people can do that), ano no it's NOT because he's Victorian is it?

Top_Cat

See, now you're talking about Elliott and not the state he's from. A much safer place to be. :)

Bear in mind I'm a Croweater so if anyone was likely to have been indoctrinated into the anti-Vic thing, it would be me!

Indeed, Langer did start at 3:

http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1992-93/WI_IN_AUS/WI_AUS_T4_23-26JAN1993.html

.......but he's done a bit better at 1 or 2 (other than the Test subsequent to that one).

As for who should have batted at 3, I would have thought a player who was likely have been picked again and not just for a one-off would have been a more prudent choice but you can't ignore Elliott's numbers from last season. Personally, Love would have been my choice but hey, too late now. With Love, it would have been a "we still have you in our minds" thing from the selectors but with someone like Elliott or Hodge, it would have been a "Here's a charity Test for you."

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warne is god said:
Who bagged the Queenslanders? Kasper did well. And if you wanted a number 3 then they should have gone for Hodgie, he's been in better form than Michael Hussey and Martin Love by a mile.
Hodge wasn't considered because he wasn't in the country.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top_Cat said:
Grow up, eh? I mean how old are you really? What a terrible thing to say. You should be ashamed of yourself for not having the basic capability of being able to put stupid, moronic state rivalries below the success of someone else.

Wishing failure upon someone is really, truly pathetic. We don't need this sort of sentiment around here. There's been far too much of it and I, having been a staff member for a couple of years now, am SICK OF IT. And I don't think I'm an orphan in this regard. :@
What's wrong with it? It makes for interesting posting, as long as posters aren't saying anything terrible about other forum members they should not be pulled up for critising players (no matter what the basis). Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it shouldn't happen.

Andre

International Regular
Top_Cat said:
And I don't think I'm an orphan in this regard. :@
No, you're not alone. I'm also sick of this petty state rivalries that go on - they all represent Australia, which is made up of 6 states. 6.

PY

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
What's wrong with it? It makes for interesting posting, as long as posters aren't saying anything terrible about other forum members they should not be pulled up for critising players (no matter what the basis). Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it shouldn't happen.
Agreed.

T_C - I don't see why it should be stamped out on an official basis, it is just a way that people decide they want people to be picked. As an Australian, you have a right to be angry as it is pretty stupid but otherwise I'm not so sure. But who am I to say owt?

Slanging matches do occur and negativity happens all the time but the world is like that!! :(. I hate the negativity and slanging myself (just ask anyone who knows me) but I don't think the post you highlighted was that bad.

Last edited:

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Mister Wright said:
I agree. State rivalry is what makes having states fun... And we play against each other at FC level, theres bound to be love/hate feelings to come out of that!

As for the Test Match, it is nice to have a bowlers pitch, but so much that it ended up only lasting 3 days is a bit much :wacko: I like my Test Matches to go the full slog.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
broncoman said:
LOL yeh, how pathetic, although arent they giving away 10k a night or something!!!! it might be worth watching :)
Ahh the joys of time difference. We in WA (who make up 27% of the national team, coincidently) got the whole thing :)

:D :ph34r: