• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Bahseph

International Debutant
I don't buy into some of the press with Ireland being minnows etc etc. They are capable of beating the blokes we put out in this T20 series. Some soft dismissals yesterday, but having Mulder at 6 is not the same as having Miller is it? Also Breetzke looked so on side dominant yesterday. I don't know if he scored a single boundary on the leg side?

govinda indian fan

U19 Cricketer
We aren't producing top class players anymore..
Unless we address our FC structure, We will continue to slide in international cricket ..
CSA may have posted a big profit but that's largely due to the national team still being held in high regard by other boards due to the likes of Amla, Steyn, De Villiers tearing it up in the recent past ..

However that goodwill will evaporate very quickly when results like the Afghan game become a norm , it happened to the West Indies and it can and will happen to us, suddenly teams will be reluctant to tour here or invite us for lengthy white ball series let alone test series

Then I'd like to see what kind of revenue CSA will brag about. CSA needs to wake up from its delusion, we are in big trouble the results are speaking for themselves.
You still have top class bowlers like rabada nigidi jansen cotzee and burger just need few good batsmen you would be back🙂

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa squad for Test series in Bangladesh

Temba Bavuma (capt), David Bedingham, Matthew Breetzke, Nandre Burger, Tony de Zorzi, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, Wiaan Mulder, Senuran Muthusamy, Dane Paterson, Dane Piedt, Kagiso Rabada, Tristan Stubbs, Ryan Rickelton (wk), Kyle Verreynne (wk)
Weak. No Jansen when all you need is he and Rabada, Maharaj and Harmer. Allows you to stack the batting as well which is needed.
Unless weather is around, fancy Bangladesh heavy to take both tests.

The loss against Ireland yesterday was a new low but there is more to come. There are forty-year-olds in the CPL still night and day better than what they are currently wheeling out. That’s the real worry.

SeamUp

International Coach
Positive is Ryan Rickleton on this tour ..

But wow I have noticed a pattern , we have no middle order or lower order gents
Once the top order goes we collapse like a house of cards .

There's no calmness under pressure when Miller is not there,
Maybe Brevis needs to be tried in that middle order for the Indian T20 series , would offer a spin option aswell.
Rickelton
Breetzke
Kruger

Think can come out thinking they can be in the squad v India for the T20s.

Not a Williams fan. Would try and avoid picking him moving forward. 15T20Is and travelling at 9.6 RPO

What makes it even more perplexing is the think tank went with Mulder at 8 in the first West Indies Test.

I'm probably thinking we see:

1. Markram
2. De Zorzi
3. Stubbs
4. Bavuma
5. Bedingham
6. Verreynne (Wk)
7. ???
8. Maharaj
9. ??
10. ??
11. Rabada

So it's either we see Mulder at 7 with Piedt and Burger, or Muthusamy at 7 with Piedt and Burger, or Mulder at 7 with Muthusamy and Piedt.
Think it's a straight shoot-out between Mulder & Muthusamy for 7 but I would consider the extra batsman just like I did in the Windies.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Rickelton
Breetzke
Kruger

Think can come out thinking they can be in the squad v India for the T20s.

Not a Williams fan. Would try and avoid picking him moving forward. 15T20Is and travelling at 9.6 RPO

Think it's a straight shoot-out between Mulder & Muthusamy for 7 but I would consider the extra batsman just like I did in the Windies.
Depends on how much they rate Mulder as a batsman right? He is definitely better than Sen. I wonder if they are thinking of three spinners though?

Bahseph

International Debutant
They are. The last time they were in SA it was Maharaj and Harmer who ran through them so it's not as if they aren't susceptible to quality spin. It's going to be interesting seeing who handles the spin test in that top 6. Bavuma always looks the goods in just about any condition but rarely goes big. Not sure how Bedingham is against spin? For me there are big questions around that.

WpGuy

U19 Cricketer
That appears to be the case, which in my opinion is ****ing stupid , hes got nearly 1000 FC wickets , has a great test record for an SA spinner and yet he can't make a tour to Asia, it's a joke to be honest.

Also I've done some research on Bangladesh, their entire top order bats left handed so surely carry more than one offspinner , especially if you have an offie like Harmer
Probably helps all 3 spinners are pocs to numbers and piedt and Maharaj in same class not munsamy .

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I really don't think the Harmer decision boils down to skin colour.
No I think it's coaches preference, and perhaps Harmer then decided if Piedt is ahead of me I rather just stay in England ..

Piedt was in the States , having not played domestic cricket for years then the NZ tour happens and suddenly he's in the national picture , what would have caused him to comeback to the domestic scene ? That to a division 2 side at the time in the Knights..
Think Conrad is very bad at hiding his favorites, hence why Paterson is also making squads for no good reason.

Bahseph

International Debutant
No I think it's coaches preference, and perhaps Harmer then decided if Piedt is ahead of me I rather just stay in England ..

Piedt was in the States , having not played domestic cricket for years then the NZ tour happens and suddenly he's in the national picture , what would have caused him to comeback to the domestic scene ? That to a division 2 side at the time in the Knights..
Think Conrad is very bad at hiding his favorites, hence why Paterson is also making squads for no good reason.
Yeah I'm with you on those two. I also think he really likes Stubbs and de Zorzi so expect them to be around that top 6 for a while. Atleast those two make sense.

SeamUp

International Coach
They are. The last time they were in SA it was Maharaj and Harmer who ran through them so it's not as if they aren't susceptible to quality spin. It's going to be interesting seeing who handles the spin test in that top 6. Bavuma always looks the goods in just about any condition but rarely goes big. Not sure how Bedingham is against spin? For me there are big questions around that.
He is a very highveld type batsman (odd for a Capetonian) and we didn't get to see him v spin much in the Windies but my memory was that he played spin competintely if not amazingly.

Breetzke and Stubbs are good players of spin.

I'm not sure de Zorzi and Rickelton are the greatest. Verreynne too. Generally batsman who move their feet well give themselves good options against spin. Unless you have amazing hand-eye.

WpGuy

U19 Cricketer

Only 7 pocs In 15, it helps they would never have gone with only 6 when a season has to be average of 6/11.

Last edited:

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Top 4 extremely key need to bat 35 overs plus .
Not impressed with Walter at all , you don't leave a team vulnerable like this .

Baartman and Ngidi average single digits with the bat , Williams averages 10 and our no.8 Fortuin averages 16 , this is List A cricket I'm talking about , and shielding the tail is Phehlukwayo at No.7 , Stubbs and Mulder who are still trying to find their feet with the bat are at 5 & 6