• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dewald B says he will be the best cricketer that has ever lived.
Personally I just rather have concentrate on scoring runs consistently but thats just me...

Can't say that he doesn't have confidence... But obviously some arrogance as well.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Personally I just rather havehim concentrate on scoring runs consistently but thats just me...

Love the confidence, he just needs some guidance about his career.

SeamUp

International Coach
Personally I just rather havehim concentrate on scoring runs consistently but thats just me...

It's the sort of mentality we need. So I hope he follows through on his processes he speaks about and keeps backing himself and believing.

Heboric

International Debutant
I swear SA supporters thinks the players must say "No I am a crap player, our team is going to lose"

I remember Graeme Smith getting a lot of stick when he started saying positive things about players and the team.

SeamUp

International Coach
It's only Ireland but Rickelton needed that to hopefully break the shackles. Let's see.

In other news Dean Elgar scored his 52nd FC 100. Moved equal with Martin Van Jaarsveld for most by Saffers. Reckon he gets a 3rd County Cap after Somerset and Surrey.

Kyle Verreynne left Sharjah to play for Notts. Saw he was on 148* and he will be flying back in a couple days for Abu Dhabi.

Last edited:

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Positive is Ryan Rickleton on this tour ..

But wow I have noticed a pattern , we have no middle order or lower order gents
Once the top order goes we collapse like a house of cards .

There's no calmness under pressure when Miller is not there,
Maybe Brevis needs to be tried in that middle order for the Indian T20 series , would offer a spin option aswell.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
South Africa squad for Test series in Bangladesh

Temba Bavuma (capt), David Bedingham, Matthew Breetzke, Nandre Burger, Tony de Zorzi, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, Wiaan Mulder, Senuran Muthusamy, Dane Paterson, Dane Piedt, Kagiso Rabada, Tristan Stubbs, Ryan Rickelton (wk), Kyle Verreynne (wk)

Stefan9

International Debutant
People made fun of AB when he said he wanted to be the best in the world didn't they?
For me its setting achievable targets. AB best in the world comment after already being established in the Proteas vs brevis best in the history of the game made while not even in the Proteas squad.

South Africa squad for Test series in Bangladesh

Temba Bavuma (capt), David Bedingham, Matthew Breetzke, Nandre Burger, Tony de Zorzi, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, Wiaan Mulder, Senuran Muthusamy, Dane Paterson, Dane Piedt, Kagiso Rabada, Tristan Stubbs, Ryan Rickelton (wk), Kyle Verreynne (wk)
I assume we have then moved on from Harmer?

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
For me its setting achievable targets. AB best in the world comment after already being established in the Proteas vs brevis best in the history of the game made while not even in the Proteas squad.

I assume we have then moved on from Harmer?
That appears to be the case, which in my opinion is ****ing stupid , hes got nearly 1000 FC wickets , has a great test record for an SA spinner and yet he can't make a tour to Asia, it's a joke to be honest.

Also I've done some research on Bangladesh, their entire top order bats left handed so surely carry more than one offspinner , especially if you have an offie like Harmer

Heboric

International Debutant
Proteas Test squad against Bangladesh
Temba Bavuma (captain, Lions), David Bedingham (Western Province), Matthew Breetzke (Warriors), Nandre Burger (WesternProvince), Tony de Zorzi (Western Province), Keshav Maharaj (Dolphins), Aiden Markram (Titans), Wiaan Mulder (Lions), Senuran Muthusamy (Warriors), Dane Paterson (Western Province), Dane Piedt (Knights), Kagiso Rabada (Lions), Tristan Stubbs (Warriors), Ryan Rickelton (Lions), and Kyle Verreynne (Western Province).

Is Gerald Coetzee still injured ?

SeamUp

International Coach
That appears to be the case, which in my opinion is ****ing stupid , hes got nearly 1000 FC wickets , has a great test record for an SA spinner and yet he can't make a tour to Asia, it's a joke to be honest.

Also I've done some research on Bangladesh, their entire top order bats left handed so surely carry more than one offspinner , especially if you have an offie like Harmer
Seems a clean-cut not being attached to the Titans anymore which is sad.

Piedt is decent but Harmer is better.

Do we expect Paterson to make a difference?

Bahseph

International Debutant
Seems a clean-cut not being attached to the Titans anymore which is sad.

Piedt is decent but Harmer is better.

Do we expect Paterson to make a difference?
Yeah I think if Harmer was still playing some cricket in SA he would be in the squad. Paterson I don't get. I'd honestly have Sipamla and Williams above him even if Jansen,Nortje,Ngidi and Coetzee were not considered.

Shukri also likes him some Muthusamy. Hope he goes well though! (Personal bias haha).His type of spin might come off in Bangladesh.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Paterson is a decent FC bowler, and did okay in NZ. But he is no way the future of SA cricket. He shouldn't play ahead of any of the other bowlers.
What makes it even more perplexing is the think tank went with Mulder at 8 in the first West Indies Test.

I'm probably thinking we see:

1. Markram
2. De Zorzi
3. Stubbs
4. Bavuma
5. Bedingham
6. Verreynne (Wk)
7. ???
8. Maharaj
9. ??
10. ??
11. Rabada

So it's either we see Mulder at 7 with Piedt and Burger, or Muthusamy at 7 with Piedt and Burger, or Mulder at 7 with Muthusamy and Piedt.