• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shakib Al Hasan vs The Great All Rounders

Athlai

Not Terrible
Or they disagree with you about the definition of 'great'.

Who made you the king of adjectives
He was made the king of adjectives when his father, the previous king of adjectives died in the great "BIGLY" wars of 2017. It's so insensitive of you to bring it up.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Shakib should be the first name on the sheet in any Bangladesh ATXI if we make one now.
He has crossed that stage long back. As of now, he is at the level of being the only ATG from Bangladesh. ATG or not is disputable.

Coronis

International Coach
Another great performance. Shakib's played in 8/9 of Banga's test wins. 8 matches, 732 runs @ 48.80 with 2 centuries, 46 wickets @ 20.32 with four 5 wicket hauls.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Another great performance. Shakib's played in 8/9 of Banga's test wins. 8 matches, 732 runs @ 48.80 with 2 centuries, 46 wickets @ 20.32 with four 5 wicket hauls.
From the top of my head, he almost single handedly won us against WI (2nd string side) and then contributed against Zimbabwe and England wins. Now this against SL. Not trying to nitpick but its not going to place him among the top ranks of ARs. Harsh but I think he has more abilities and more to give to Bangladesh. Maybe I expect more from him.

thierry henry

International Coach
I'm struggling to understand why averaging 40 with the bat isn't enough for Shakib to be recognised as a great all-rounder when it is a significantly higher batting average than almost any other great all-rounder who was also a front-line bowler. I guess Dev, Botham and Hadlee were all rock-solid batsmen who consistently delivered on their potential.

Probably all a bit academic now as Shakib does seem to be transitioning into a batting all-rounder, but for most of his career his batting has been more than good enough to justify calling him an elite all-rounder, when you consider his bowling (and vice-versa.....which is exactly the point, he plays such a unique role in his side).

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm struggling to understand why averaging 40 with the bat isn't enough for Shakib to be recognised as a great all-rounder when it is a significantly higher batting average than almost any other great all-rounder who was also a front-line bowler. I guess Dev, Botham and Hadlee were all rock-solid batsmen who consistently delivered on their potential.

Probably all a bit academic now as Shakib does seem to be transitioning into a batting all-rounder, but for most of his career his batting has been more than good enough to justify calling him an elite all-rounder, when you consider his bowling (and vice-versa.....which is exactly the point, he plays such a unique role in his side).
Averages 26 against India and England and has never played against Australia. Goes along way on CW not rating someone IMO. Unless people are catching his performances against NZ/Pakistan/SL/WI hes not done a thing.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
also his bowling average being however many standard deviations worse than Hadlee and Imran means we expect a lot more with the bat. But yeah only slighty worse than Botham and Dev

and to think Imran is closest to him in the batting stakes really makes you realise how OP Imran was

viriya

International Captain

Shakib has been the most genuine of all-rounders throughout his career. All the other greats were mainly good at one thing.

cnerd123

likes this
When you consider the limitations of orthodox finger spin Shakib is pretty good. Not fair to compare him to elite pace bowlers. Even the most elite orthodox finger spinners don't compare to Hadlee/Imran/Botham