• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to IPL 2009.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Standard of cricket? Dear Arjun, don't tell me you've too got your mind warped by the 20-20 craze. I enjoyed IPL, much like I enjoy a masala movie and forgets it immediately afterwards. But that was it.

Good quality cricket, according to me, can never be seen in a 20-20, and if at all it is seen. then it won't be a good 20-20 in the entertainment aspect.
Any cricket tournament that gets together Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne, Brett Lee, Shaun Pollock, Matt Hayden and all the best in the world surely has a high standard of cricket, even if it's only twenty overs. Moreover, we found that any of the successful players in the IPL were Test regulars, so it's no dodgy league at all. In comparison, the Kitply Cup and the Asia Cup that followed were of a much lower standard, as also the Australia/WI one-dayers.

While, as we say again, Test cricket should be kept far from this event, the ODI plans can draw a lot from it, as ODI cricket is not very far. While it's a big risk to pick a leading IPL player in a Test top six, they can do something along those lines for the relatively boring (and possibly stagnant) FC and List-A setup.

Let's just forget about Gony- he wouldn't have made it but for so many injuries that struck the Indian pace attack.

pup11

International Coach
Love Warner's comment:

Warner insisted that representing his country in Test cricket remained his primary objective. "The money doesn't matter. The biggest thing for me is play for my state, and hopefully my country," Warner said. "If players are getting all this money thrown at them and they decide to go, they're basically ****ting on their county in my opinion."

Surprised that they'd print that tbh.
Suprised Warner would say that in the first place, its not as if IPL is asking these players to miss out on their state and international commitments for IPL games.

pup11

International Coach
KKR to sign Henriques, and potentially Smith and Warner too. The deals are pretty big.

link

May be a new trend... sign a couple of big name players and top up with some cheaper youngsters. I hope these Indian teams are putting as much money into developing young Indian players as buying in young Aussies.
I really don't agree with this for a lot of reasons a) IPL should not only be about young Indian rookies getting an exposure to such a huge platform, it should also provide that opportunity to young forgien players too b) Only four forgien players can be part of the playing XI so that still leaves plenty of room for the Indian players c) Most importantly IPL is a business and every franchise tries to figure out the best possible way to win and make money, so for that they would invest their money in players they expect to do well for them irrespective of their nationality, and it goes without saying that development of Indian or global cricket is the last thing on their minds.

pup11

International Coach
Henriques has been bought by KKR for a whoopping US$ 300,000, now that's a lot of money for a bloke who really hasn't done much in his domestic career so far, i guess he has been bought purely on the basis of his potentional more than anything else, apparently he is being paid much much more than the likes of Ponting, Hayden, Mike Hussey, Watson, Pomersbach and Marsh.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Conclusive proof that Henriques > Watson then. ;)

With Mott at KKR taking NSW players, Moody at Punjab taking WA players, and with Berry (Vics) and Lehmann (SA) presumably ready to take a couple of their own, I reckon Queensland and Tasmania players would be hoping one of their coaches signs up out there pretty quickly!

pup11

International Coach
Conclusive proof that Henriques > Watson then. ;)

With Mott at KKR taking NSW players, Moody at Punjab taking WA players, and with Berry (Vics) and Lehmann (SA) presumably ready to take a couple of their own, I reckon Queensland and Tasmania players would be hoping one of their coaches signs up out there pretty quickly!
I think Tassies and Queenslanders don't have too much to offer, Bailey and Hilfenhaus are probably the only two blokes from Tass (and maybe on current form even Dighton) who might lure the franchises, as for QLD all their good players are already playing in the IPL, so i don't think anybody would be complaining much about it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Interesting to compare Warner's comment this month to those he made last month...
Warner, yet to make his first-class debut, goes further. "You see the money in cricket over in India and as a young person your eyes get lit up; if there's that much money, why wouldn't I do that? You still want to play for your country in Test cricket but, in the meantime while you're coming up and you're not getting that opportunity, of course you're going to want to go and play it. The Pontings now who are fading out of the game because of their age, I don't know if they're suited to the game (Twenty20) at the moment but definitely the young guys coming through have got the opportunity of a lifetime."

Warner is not so much ready to ring the bells of change but to smash them out of the ground. "The longer version of cricket is definitely fading out and the older guys aren't going to like it because they're not going to get the opportunities over there (in India) like we are. That's why it's an issue," he said. "I think that's the reason why they're getting a bit frustrated with it all and why they definitely want to keep the traditional Test cricket and 50-over game."
Article - The Age (Nov 14)

G.I.Joe

International Coach
SRK is insane. What is he going to do with so many overseas players? Only 4 can play at a time anyway.

Will CA's 2 Aussies per IPL side rule apply if any of these guys end up with CA contracts in the future?

EDIT: The trading window opens in 5 days. Interesting times, no doubt. Word is that Mallya of the RC has already had a word with KP, and Chennai might try and go for Flintoff to boost their poor bowling stocks.

Jaipur are reportedly going to be the team least involved, Warne has told the franchise owners he wants to keep the current team intact.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I guess it's worth getting the junior Australians to some extent, because supposedly those in the Australian XI won't be available for the next two seasons of IPL if the schedule stays the same.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Can franchises increase players contracts to keep them? I'm thinking of guys like Marsh, Watson, Tanvir who were all on fairly low fees.

Precambrian

Banned
SRK is insane. What is he going to do with so many overseas players? Only 4 can play at a time anyway.

Will CA's 2 Aussies per IPL side rule apply if any of these guys end up with CA contracts in the future?

EDIT: The trading window opens in 5 days. Interesting times, no doubt. Word is that Mallya of the RC has already had a word with KP, and Chennai might try and go for Flintoff to boost their poor bowling stocks.

Jaipur are reportedly going to be the team least involved, Warne has told the franchise owners he wants to keep the current team intact.
Aha, So Chennai would have a surplus overseas batsman. I think Fleming is already redundant. Might as have him traded.

EDIT - Noted that Fleming will assume Head Coach role of the team and will not be a player from this season onwards. Wise move.
http://chennaisuperkings.com/news/NewsContentPage.aspx?NewsID=99

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
They can, but why should they? They are under contract for three years.
To stop them moving in the transfer window? Premiership footballers move all the time when they're under contract to better deals. Also, presumably the franchise gets some of the transfer fee? For example - what happens if someone offers Kings XI $2 million for Shaun Marsh? Do they increase his reported $30000 salary?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
To stop them moving in the transfer window? Premiership footballers move all the time when they're under contract to better deals. Also, presumably the franchise gets some of the transfer fee? For example - what happens if someone offers Kings XI $2 million for Shaun Marsh? Do they increase his reported $30000 salary?
I will look into the details, but as far as I know, the contract is binding for three years. Meaning, he cannot move to another city unless his current employers trade him to that city for whatever price.

So if the Kings XI says to Delhi, keep your $2 million, we'll just keep paying Marsh what we do now, then Marsh is out of luck. If, on the other hand, Kings do take the money and send him to Delhi, for example, then I think Marsh can renegotiate.

But I can't provide proof that this is true, I'll try to find the contract online. I know Goughy or I found it before, so a link is somewhere on this site.