• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to IPL 2009.

Precambrian

Banned
This Modi fellow & this IPL brand is getting very irritating now, they are just bullying the ICC. They don't care about the future of this game, just want to make money out of cricket via 20/20.

Will the real ICC please stand up...
real ICC = BCCI and its allies.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yea it seems so off late, look i just hope for the future of game, the growth of 20/20 is controlled properly.

IPL although the concept is solid & the fact India is best place to keep a 20/20 competition in the world , are basically just promoting Indian cricket.

The fact that only 4 international players could start per match was a total farce, why couldn't the best Indian players on merit play???

Precambrian

Banned
Yea it seems so off late, look i just hope for the future of game, the growth of 20/20 is controlled properly.

IPL although the concept is solid & the fact India is best place to keep a 20/20 competition in the world , are basically just promoting Indian cricket.

The fact that only 4 international players could start per match was a total farce, why couldn't the best Indian players on merit play???
Because as you said, it is a local competition ostensibly aimed at developing Indian players. And hence one cannot question why there can be only xx number of Foreign players. Just like the English County system, where it is even worse, just 1 Foreign person is permitted.

And since the competition is completely bankrolled by Indian money, it is their game completely. Not too bad I would say, since deserving Foreign stars also get to earn a small fortune in a matter of days.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Because as you said, it is a local competition ostensibly aimed at developing Indian players. And hence one cannot question why there can be only xx number of Foreign players. Just like the English County system, where it is even worse, just 1 Foreign person is permitted.

And since the competition is completely bankrolled by Indian money, it is their game completely. Not too bad I would say, since deserving Foreign stars also get to earn a small fortune in a matter of days.
Yea i guess so, but this is where some more incompetence by the ICC is exposed, if they sanctioned it, then the Indian having that rule doesn't make good viewing from a cricketing POV.

Who really wants to see some unknown Indian player play, while an established international player is benched (although he is getting big bucks)??.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Errm, isn't that the whole point?

EDIT: Or what Precambrian said.

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
The Deccan Chargers will now be known as the Rambal Warriors :laugh: after the buyout by Vikas Rambal of the WACA Warriors.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
How about a little talk on operation of franchises? If you were in charge?

Chennai: I'd change the name to, say, Sparkplugs- an ideal name for the TN Ranji side. The team is a little light on bowling, so I'd get in Stuart Clark for Chamara or Oram or even Fleming. Clark, in fresh, should come for not too many. I'd even transfer off both the Kiwi and Chamara and then spend a lot on young opener Vijay.

Hyderabad: I'd stick to the name Deccan Chargers. They need some firepower in bowling, so I'd trade off Afridi and Gibbs for Morne Morkel, Mitchell Johnson and Stuart Clark. I'd look for relatively fresher, cheaper options, so that there is enough to hold on to Rohit Sharma and RP Singh.

Bangalore: They need some dynamic players. Kallis, Steyn and Jaffer to go for Hopes, Bracken and Uthappa. I'd even sell off Cameron White for, probably, Dave Hussey. I'd save enough to keep Ross Taylor, Misbah and Virat Kohli.

Kolkata: First, I'd get back those five domestic players sent back by Shah Rukh Khan. Cheteshwar Pujara, for instance, is a key player among them, and I'd work out a way for enough cash to keep him in place. Without thinking too much, I'd sell off Salman Butt, Umar Gul (or Akhtar, if he can't stay fit) and Chris Gayle. This team has too many weaknesses on the field, so hot on the list are Symonds, Clarke, Kallis and Morne Morkel. They can also add some stability to their batting.

Kings XI Punjab: One of my personal favourites. I'd sell off Hopes and get enough money to protect Lee, Mills, Irfan and Chawla from poachers. Not a team to change too much. That said, I'd get back those five players sent back by Ness and Preity.

Rajasthan Royals: I'd sell off Kamran Akmal, but here too I'd hold, rather than transfer.

Mumbai Indians: They need stability in batting, but I'd stick to Indian players, because we wouldn't want to disturb the core group of Pollock, Malinga (if fit), Dilhara and Nel in the bowling. I'd send off Luke Ronchi and Uthappa, and get the money to buy out Rohit Sharma or Vijay. Managing all those bits-and-pieces (or half of it) players will be tough. Changing the name, though, shouldn't be.

Delhi Daredevils: Middle-order as well as active lower-order are two issues to take care of. I'd send off Shoaib Malik to get in Thilan Thushara or Mitchell Johnson. This isn't a team to make too many changes to.

New Franchise #1: I'd base this in Baroda and buy out all the players from the Baroda Ranji team from elsewhere- namely, Irfan, Zaheer, Yusuf, Munaf, Pinal Shah, Rajesh Pawar and Pujara. To fill up the rest, I'd look for a steady top-six. Chopra isn't doing much for Kolkata, and he will be useful. He is useful even in a limited-overs game. There are others not used at all that we can buy out, like Manhas, Yashpal and Vijay. Among foreign recruits, I'd look for Langer, Pietersen, Joyce, Mohammed Yousuf and Peter Fulton.

New Franchise #2: I'd base this one in Lucknow and buy out the UP/MP/Railways players from elsewhere, so the core group will have Kaif, Raina, RP Singh, Chawla, Praveen Kumar and Tyagi. Outside of that, I'd pick more batsmen- again, Chopra and Vijay are targets. A spinner is essential, so I'd go for Delhi's Nanda. Among foreigners, I'd pick Haddin, Thushara, Neil McKenzie and Chamara Silva for a starting lineup.

brockley

International Captain
Hes' an indian industrialist in western australia in the mining boom.
Heard he interested in buying the deccan chargers.
Good sponser for the warriors,talk about an immigrant made good and putting the money back in his new country.
He helped bring back tom moody with a cash incentive.

brockley

International Captain
BTW michael clarke said he would put his decision off to april to see how he feels pyshically.
To be honest i don't see it he will be doing a lot of battig and bowling this summer.
On symmos' form we may not see him much this summer.

Fezza_8600

Cricket Spectator
IPL is really dominating 20/20... Shouldn't be happening every year i reckon... too much hype surrounding it. test cricket/50-50 games are the best, they are truer representations of cricket.

still, i love 20/20 games...

pup11

International Coach
BTW michael clarke said he would put his decision off to april to see how he feels pyshically.
To be honest i don't see it he will be doing a lot of battig and bowling this summer.
Why is Clarke acting so pricey, its not only him who is going to play all that cricket in the upcoming months, all his team-mates too are also going to play equal number of games and many of them are no spring chickens either, but they aren't making much fuss about it at all, i know Clarke has a bad back but still he should just make-up his mind whether he wants to play in it or not.

brockley

International Captain
Pup we have 18/21 months of cricket straight.
May is the only month playes get off,and most of them will be playing IPL.8-)

pup11

International Coach
Pup we have 18/21 months of cricket straight.
May is the only month playes get off,and most of them will be playing IPL.8-)
Yeah i know that, but isn't he going to play the exact same number of games as his other team-mates who are slightly older than him, but they don't seem to be finding it too tough fitting IPL into their scheme of things.

Precambrian

Banned

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
McGrath won't go.

He won't leave his kids parentless for 2 months for money he doesn't need. He'd be so gutted that he played last season as well, the last few months he could've spent with his wife he spent playing bull**** mickey mouse cricket in India.

pup11

International Coach
McGrath won't go.

He won't leave his kids parentless for 2 months for money he doesn't need. He'd be so gutted that he played last season as well, the last few months he could've spent with his wife he spent playing bull**** mickey mouse cricket in India.
AWTA

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Can completely understand McGrath's case. Well, Pollock too. Sometimes you just lose that motivation after a long time of doing it.