• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to IPL 2009.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I will look into the details, but as far as I know, the contract is binding for three years. Meaning, he cannot move to another city unless his current employers trade him to that city for whatever price.

So if the Kings XI says to Delhi, keep your $2 million, we'll just keep paying Marsh what we do now, then Marsh is out of luck. If, on the other hand, Kings do take the money and send him to Delhi, for example, then I think Marsh can renegotiate.

But I can't provide proof that this is true, I'll try to find the contract online. I know Goughy or I found it before, so a link is somewhere on this site.
Yeah, I guess contractually they can force them to stay. It'll be interesting though because in the Premiership, even though they can force them to stay, I think, it never seems to work out like that, the players pretty much always seem to move in the end.

Precambrian

Banned
5.4 This Agreement is personal to the Player and the Player may not assign, transfer or transfer any interest in it to any other person. The Franchisee shall have the right to assign or novate this Agreement to any other club or team which participates in the League and the Player agrees to accept any such assignment and to execute any documents necessary to give effect to any such assignment or novation and to faithfully perform and carry out this Agreement with the same force and effect as if it had been entered into by the Player and any such assignee. In addition the Franchisee may assign any rights granted to it under Clause 5 to any other person including IPL.
Pretty sums it up. Unless they have modified it, players cannot get transferred themselves

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, I guess contractually they can force them to stay. It'll be interesting though because in the Premiership, even though they can force them to stay, I think, it never seems to work out like that, the players pretty much always seem to move in the end.
Well right, if Delhi offers Kings XI $2 million for Marsh, he may move. That doesn't necessarily mean Marsh will make the bank, it means Kings XI will. I'm not sure if Delhi has to pay him any more than Kings XI do for the duration of this three year contract. On the other hand, if the player may not agree to the transfer unless Delhi pays him more, which would obviously be a strong bargaining position - if he indeed has veto rights over the transfer. So if he has the right, he can (and should) certainly say, 'well, I'll agree to your trade only if you renegotiate my contract first'. However, based on that paragraph, it doesn't seem the player has veto rights, and he may just have to go where he is traded.

We'll see soon enough how it works out though.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Here is our answer:

If a player is sold for a more than his original three-year contract fee of last year, the profit is shared between the selling franchise and the player, with the player entitled to a maximum of 50 % of the extra money. However, if a player is "offloaded" for less than the original amount, the selling franchise is bound to pay him the difference so that he retains his original salary. "The idea is to ensure that a players' three-year contract fee, which was decided in the first season, remains sacrosanct," a franchise official, who was briefed about meetings on Monday and Tuesday between franchises and IPL officials, told Cricinfo.
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/382560.html

So if Kings sell Marsh for $2 million, Marsh himself would get $1 million.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Here is our answer:

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/382560.html

So if Kings sell Marsh for $2 million, Marsh himself would get $1 million.
Interesting. I kind of have a feeling that not many players will be traded, possibly only those who had poor seasons will be up for trade. But it will be interesting if someone like Rajasthan tries to offload one of its cheaper players for lots of money and uses it to bolster its squad with a few cheaper ones.

brockley

International Captain
Trading starts monday.
Will be interested.
Heard dave hussey will be traded.
Congrats dave warner,heard steve smith might get signed.
If pakistan moves their one dayers to abu dabui australia and pakistan players will be unavailable for the whole series.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Trading starts monday.
Will be interested.
Heard dave hussey will be traded.
Congrats dave warner,heard steve smith might get signed.
If pakistan moves their one dayers to abu dabui australia and pakistan players will be unavailable for the whole series.
You're joking right? Kolkata would rather have Henriques than David Hussey? World's gone bonkers.

pup11

International Coach
You're joking right? Kolkata would rather have Henriques than David Hussey? World's gone bonkers.
Haha you are right David Hussey was one of there better performers, so can't really understand why KKR would like to trade him, anyways read somewhere that Delhi have signed David Warner, so that is deinitely a good signing for them as one felt that last season they lacked firepower in their batting apart from Sehwag and Gambhir.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Lehmann is apparently signing Ryan Harris for whichever team it is he's associated with... Bangalore I think. Now there is a good signing. Experienced, on good form, and on the fringes of national selection although probably won't be picked.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Haha you are right David Hussey was one of there better performers, so can't really understand why KKR would like to trade him, anyways read somewhere that Delhi have signed David Warner, so that is deinitely a good signing for them as one felt that last season they lacked firepower in their batting apart from Sehwag and Gambhir.
Shikhar Dhawan will come good. He is too good a performer in List A cricket to miss out this time.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Tiwary can bring his game on then he'll be a destructive limited overs player too. Delhi have the nucleus of an excellent team just need to fill out their roster with better players after the likes of Sehwag, Gambhir, McGrath, Asif, Maharoof, Sangwan, Dhawan who are all excellent IMO.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ah forgot about that. Forgot they had Mishy, AB and Vettori in their lineups too. Actually quite strong now that I think of it.