• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to IPL 2009.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Delhi's problem for me is that Sehwag's a piss-poor T20 captain. It's no coincidence that the final was contested by the two best captains in the competition.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Delhi's problem for me is that Sehwag's a piss-poor T20 captain. It's no coincidence that the final was contested by the two best captains in the competition.
If I remember correctly they had a ridiculous amount of games affected by rain. Reckon they had plenty to feel gipped by tbh. On their day it was awesome to watch them reckon they'll be contenders again all things being equal.

Uppercut

If I remember correctly they had a ridiculous amount of games affected by rain. Reckon they had plenty to feel gipped by tbh. On their day it was awesome to watch them reckon they'll be contenders again all things being equal.
They got to the semis in spite of that though. Once they got there rain played no part.

Sehwag's captaincy is definitely a big weakness. Plus they kept playing Yo Mahesh.

duffer

They got to the semis in spite of that though. Once they got there rain played no part.

Sehwag's captaincy is definitely a big weakness. Plus they kept playing Yo Mahesh.
Actually don't mind Viru's approach to the game, but still think their squad is a bit light depth wise especially as far as Indian bowlers goes. Still believe they can challenge for a home semi this time around.

EDIT: What I meant to ask was, where's Sehwag's weakness captaincy wise? Seems reasonably astute for mine.

Uppercut

Actually don't mind Viru's approach to the game, but still think their squad is a bit light depth wise especially as far as Indian bowlers goes. Still believe they can challenge for a home semi this time around.
Home semi? I thought the semis were bid for and Mumbai and Bangalore won?

Yeah i think you're right. They had the best opening partnership going and McGrath, Maharoof and Mishra all bowled exceptionally well, but it was the middle order and 4th-5th choice bowlers that let them down.

On Sehwag's captaincy, in his bowling changes. He had Shoaib Malik bowling the final over at one point IIRC and going for 15~ runs off the first four balls to lose them the game. That's just one example, i can't think of that many but i remember thinking it quite often.

duffer

Home semi? I thought the semis were bid for and Mumbai and Bangalore won?
Heard Modi talking about home semi's for the top 2 this season. This might've changed since I havent been back to India since July tbh.

On Sehwag's captaincy, in his bowling changes. He had Shoaib Malik bowling the final over at one point IIRC and going for 15~ runs off the first four balls to lose them the game. That's just one example, i can't think of that many but i remember thinking it quite often.
Hmm maybe isolated incidents, all captains have brain fade's here and there tbh. I think I was just endeared his no holds barred approach to cricket and feel it is reflected in the way his teams play. We probably need a larger sample space to judge him properly as one T20 tournament doesn't really encapsulate all aspects of captaincy ( or of cricket in general).

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Delhi lost key matches, and one of the major reasons was Sehwag choosing to bring himself on to bowl within the first 10 overs on those occasions. He was like a steam release valve. Wasn't as effective bowling in the T20s as he is in Tests and ODIs. Also didn't help that they were essentially a three man bowling attack of McGrath, Vettori and Mishra. Asif and Sangwan were too patchy, and Yo was a let down while Malik did diddly squat (similar to his what he achieves as a bowler for Pakistan really).

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Akhtar, Afridi and Gibbs on sale in IPL trading window
I am not sure too many franchises would be lining upto buy these guys..
I can't see why anyone would pick Shoaib. There's a case to be made for Afridi, but if the Franchises place any emphasis on team spirit, he's toast. he has this tendency to go finger pointing after any crisis. He did it with Pakistan, and he did indulged in it after the first IPL season too.

Gibbs is an interesting case. If Hyderabad do sell Rohit and Afridi he might have a huge part to play for them next season. BTW, there were reports that the poor fellow lost almost his entire season one earnings to his ex-wife.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I can't see why anyone would pick Shoaib. There's a case to be made for Afridi, but if the Franchises place any emphasis on team spirit, he's toast. he has this tendency to go finger pointing after any crisis. He did it with Pakistan, and he did indulged in it after the first IPL season too.

Gibbs is an interesting case. If Hyderabad do sell Rohit and Afridi he might have a huge part to play for them next season. BTW, there were reports that the poor fellow lost almost his entire season one earnings to his ex-wife.
Afridi no surprises, he had a major fall out with VVS. He would be snapped up pretty quickly. Shoaib profile will also make him an attractive option. Gibbs may struggle, especially if he fails to get back into the South African one day side.

pup11

International Coach
"However, Rahul Dravid, being an icon player, will not be put on sale."

:laugh:
Yeah that's funny, but i doubt Dravid would be playing again in the IPL, but anyways the Bangalore owner is mad, he has got some very good players in Zaheer, Bracken, Boucher, Cam White, Steyn, Chanders, Kallis, though Kallis and Chanders might not be too well suited for T20 but still if they are utilised properly in a team set up then they can do well too, but its bit of a moronic move to flush out his whole team like this in one go.

Apparently KP could be leading the Bangalore side this season, as KP and the team owner of the Bangalore side are good friends, and there have been rumours that he wants KP in his side at any price.

duffer

Afridi no surprises, he had a major fall out with VVS. He would be snapped up pretty quickly. Shoaib profile will also make him an attractive option. Gibbs may struggle, especially if he fails to get back into the South African one day side.
Not sure there'd be many takers for Afridi. Apart from being a monumental flop in the tournament he's proven to be a dressing room cancer on more than one occasion. Having seen last year the teams with the best chemistry (Rajasthan, Punjab and Chennai) do so well this has to be an important consideration.

Gibbs would be worth a punt for me his value would be low after what's gone on so he wouldn't cost much but could be a massive success if he finds some form.

Meh on Shoaib tbh, he's a perfect fit for SRK's circus club wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure there'd be many takers for Afridi. Apart from being a monumental flop in the tournament he's proven to be a dressing room cancer on more than one occasion. Having seen last year the teams with the best chemistry (Rajasthan, Punjab and Chennai) do so well this has to be an important consideration.

Gibbs would be worth a punt for me his value would be low after what's gone on so he wouldn't cost much but could be a massive success if he finds some form.

Meh on Shoaib tbh, he's a perfect fit for SRK's circus club wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.
Still worth a punt as a bowling all-rounder and if he can last twenty balls your got a good total. Afridi under Warney would be cool to see.

G.I.Joe

International Coach

Vijay Mallya puts all players of Bangalore IPL team on sale

This is truly hilarious but at the same time very embarrassing for the players involved, wtf is he thinking, i don't think any player would be too keen to play for his side given the way he treats them like ****.
Mallya has rubbished those reports in todays paper. The overseas players are up for negotiation, but the Indian players are not. I'm surprised you gave that ridiculous article any credibility at all.

BTW, all the franchises are looking to get rid of their Pakistani players, even the 'Rajasthan' Royals. Obvious reasons for that, plus they weren't performing well anyway, with the notable exception of Sohail Tanvir.