• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter Roebuck dies

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Hearing that he jumped from the 6th floor.:( Not sure if it is confirmed or not though.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not going to go down the line of saying how wonderful he was now that he's dead because I thought he was a nutcase and I couldn't stand him.
It's still very sad though. I remember watching him coming through the ranks at Somerset. You could see the Viv Richards influence in some of his stroke play, especially through the on side - though of course he lacked the talent to emulate the great man too much.

RIP

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not going to go down the line of saying how wonderful he was now that he's dead because I thought he was a nutcase and I couldn't stand him.
It's still very sad though. I remember watching him coming through the ranks at Somerset. You could see the Viv Richards influence in some of his stroke play, especially through the on side - though of course he lacked the talent to emulate the great man too much.

RIP
Careful mate. Mods be hatin' on the word "talent" these days.

:ph34r:

Spark

Global Moderator
Final warning.

Aspersions about Roebuck's character or whatnot will NOT be tolerated and will see an ignoring mod instructions infraction at a minimum.

Show some effin' class, people.

(if you're confused, it's because there are deleted posts you can't see)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
From the vile Daily Mail:

Western Cape provincial police spokesperson Frederick van Wyk confirmed a 'cricket commentator committed suicide' late on Saturday but would not disclose his identity until next of kin had been informed.

'There was an incident around 9 p.m. on Saturday night when a British citizen who is a cricket commentator committed suicide by jumping from the sixth floor of his Claremont hotel. 'He died on impact,' van Wyk said.

... while the Guadian quotes the same spokesman as saying that he was found dead "in a hotel":

"A 55-year-old British citizen was found dead in a hotel in Newlands, Cape Town. He was working as a cricket commentator for an Australian publication. He committed suicide. An inquest docket has been opened for investigation. I cannot say more at this moment."

I imagine we'll have some clarity soon.

RIP

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Which news? Any previous tendency to make **** up?
Mystery over top cricket writer Roebuck's death- TIMESNOW.tv - Latest Breaking News, Big News Stories, News Videos

Western Cape provincial police spokesperson Frederick van Wyk confirmed a "cricket commentator committed suicide" late on Saturday but would not disclose his identity until next of kin had been informed.

There was an incident around 9 p.m. Saturday night when a British citizen who is a cricket commentator committed suicide by jumping from the sixth floor of his Claremont hotel. He died on impact," van Wyk told Reuters.

Van Wyk declined to comment on reports that the police had questioned Roebuck on Saturday and said they will "investigate all the circumstances" around his death.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, I think it's pretty well confirmed that he committed suicide (saw it on ABC 24 an hour ago) but beyond that, I don't think we really know that much

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sources, please - gossip is bad
I read a quote on a news site from the local police. If I can dig it up I'll post a link.

Edit: see the lads have quoted the sources.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Sources, please - gossip is bad
Right, OK, so here's the deal. To avoid this thread becoming a complete steaming pile of turd, we're gonna go with this:

Gossip = bad, and will be deleted on sight.

Discussion about events that are confirmed by respected, preferable multiple news sources = fine.

If you're confused about the definition of the former, it's anything that isn't the latter.

Flem274*

123/5
You forgot the Sparkeh line.

_______________________(I am a Sparkeh line)________________________________

Below this line you post links to reputable news sources, give us your souls etc etc

BoyBrumby

Englishman
God, what a way to go.

Another cricket suicide to go along with Stoddart, Shrewsbury, Gimblett, Robertson-Glasgow, Bairstow, Trott, Iverson, Barnes, etc :mellow:

Spark

Global Moderator
You forgot the Sparkeh line.

_______________________(I am a Sparkeh line)________________________________

Below this line you post links to reputable news sources, give us your souls etc etc
I only do lines when I'm seriously pissed off :p