• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter Roebuck dies

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
So he has a run in with the local cops at his hotel, then commits suicide hours later? Odd......

SeamUp

International Coach
It does sound a bit strange, but I guess he wasn't the most normal of blokes.

Ian Chappell says that he was a bit of a loner but he actually started speaking to him more and more when they worked on the game as he always found his views worth listening to.

And that sums it up, he may have written his views in a way that bugged a few people but he always attacked areas of the game that many others would not have dared to at times.

A brilliant cricket writer and I shall miss his views.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seems a bit odd that after all the controversial moments he's had in the past that the police having a word (ie nothing that required his immediate arrest) he should feel it necessary to throw a seven

No doubt we will learn more, though whether it will be true or not is another question, but sad to lose such a thought provoking writer, even if he did write some tosh from time to time - also I have to admire a bloke who was prepared to stand up and be counted and see off Botham, Garner and Richards

RIP Rupert

Flem274*

123/5
When a moderator says "that will do," we mean it.

If you cannot post sensibly and follow moderator instructions, you will be infracted, assuming we don't infract you for this post quoted.

If you want to post stuff like this, post it on another forum. We don't want it.

Last edited by a moderator:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
sad. even though was never a fan - quite the opposite, actually - of his rather overblown and unnecessarily syncopated style of writing. his love of the game was never in doubt, however, and world weary cynicism was not a failing that he was generally familiar with, a feature of his 'analysis' that i always appreciated.

has it been confirmed as suicide?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought Haigh's words that Roebuck changed the way people wrote about cricket is a great tribute to his work.

/attempttogetthreadbackontrack

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Agree, that the circumstances raise suspicion like with Woolmer, but best not to speculate right now. Maybe let more info come out.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
sad. even though was never a fan - quite the opposite, actually - of his rather overblown and unnecessarily syncopated style of writing. his love of the game was never in doubt, however, and world weary cynicism was not a failing that he was generally familiar with, a feature of his 'analysis' that i always appreciated.

has it been confirmed as suicide?
Yes mate it has.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Makes it that much sadder. Suicide is always an extremely sobering way to lose someone.

Flem274*

123/5
Centurymaker, if you continue that line of posting I'll give you another infraction on top of the one I just gave you.

indiaholic

International Captain
Was never a fan of his writing but he was a fellow cricket lover and the pleasure in disagreeing with him will be missed.
RIP.
PS: Some seriously horrendous posting in this thread. Despicable stuff.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
CW outdone itself in this thread.

Anyway. Didn't really like his style of writing but he was absolutely fantastic on the radio. I'll miss him this summer.