• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter Roebuck dies

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I just stated my opinion on the credibility of the reports...nothing speculative about it.

So I don't have the right to state my opinion now?

I specifically mentioned that I meant no offence to any Zimbabwean members. Just stated the fact of life which is very much true in my own country as well.

Last edited:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
So what exactly were you doing in the previous paragraphs of that post?
I don't find those reports credible regardless of which newspaper is stating them as I said in my paragraphs that reports don't add up they is quite a bit of mixed stories. Nothing speculative about it as far as i see it.

Flem274*

123/5
I just stated my opinion on the credibility of the reports...nothing speculative about it.

So I don't have the right to state my opinion now?

I specifically mentioned that I meant no offence to any Zimbabwean members. Just stated the fact of life which is very much true in my own country as well.
You are welcome to state an opinion as long as you can back it up with more than "I know of people doing it in my country."

And what members find offensive isn't for you to decide. I find the "no offense" label is used as cover for saying something that is in fact offensive.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Erm....suggesting that there was no assault involved, and that the 26y/o man was instead simply paid off to say such things is pretty much the perfect example of speculation.

spec·u·late/ˈspekyəˌlāt/
Verb:
Form a theory or conjecture about a subject without firm evidence.
Invest in stocks, property, or other ventures in the hope of gain but with the risk of loss.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't find those reports credible regardless of which newspaper is stating them as I said in my paragraphs that reports don't add up they is quite a bit of mixed stories. Nothing speculative about it as far as i see it.
You don't have any evidence of any of these reports being false. You are just saying you don't believe them with zero backing of facts. If that is not speculation, then....................

fredfertang

I think Faisal has a perfectly valid point there - that the allegation against Roebuck was an untrue one motivated by malice or greed must be a very real possibility

That sort of thing goes on the world over and to suggest Faisal can't express that opinion strikes me as a little disturbing tbh

Spark

Global Moderator
Right, OK, so here's the deal. To avoid this thread becoming a complete steaming pile of turd, we're gonna go with this:

Gossip = bad, and will be deleted on sight.

Discussion about events that are confirmed by respected, preferable multiple news sources = fine.

If you're confused about the definition of the former, it's anything that isn't the latter.
So we've been a bit looser than what was outlined in this post, but given that this is still very raw and the man hasn't been dead a week yet, I think we still better stick with stuff that's been reported and sourced rather than going off on gossip/speculation, yes?

At a minimum, try to keep it classy without generalisations.

Last edited:

fredfertang

What on earth is wrong with making the point (ie speculating) that Roebuck might have done nothing wrong?

Flem274*

123/5
I think, upon reflection, a large part of the problem was the way Faisal put his message across was inadequate. There is a difference between the way you phrased it and the way he phrased it.

Anyway, this is the last post on the matter as we are derailing the thread. If anyone wishes to discuss this further, email us at moderators@cricketweb.net and we will be in touch.:)

fredfertang

Right so we can post any link we want to a lurid gutter press headline about Roebuck being some sort of evil ***ual predator (do bear in mind that certainly in England and Wales you can libel the dead with impunity) but we can't express a trenchant view to support the reputation of a bloke who can't defend himself?

Come on mods raise your game!

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
AWTA tbh.

In any case saw a tribute show here on NDTV about Roebuck yesterday and all the people who had met him and read his work really said some very nice things about his writings including Gavaskar, Bhogle, Manjrekar and Shastri.

Hopefully this all gets sorted soon, and truth comes to light wrt to the allegations of ***ual assault too, but i am not sure whether that case will be pursued now or not. What do the authorities normally do in such circumstances?

Last edited:

fredfertang

AWTA tbh. Don't think he said anything offensive about anyone either.

In any case saw a tribute show here on NDTV about Roebuck yesterday and all the people who had met him and read his work really said some very nice things about his writings including Gavaskar, Bhogle, Manjrekar and Shastri.

Hopefully this all gets sorted soon, and truth comes to light wrt to the allegations of ***ual assault too, but i am not sure whether that case will be pursued now or not. What do the authorities normally do in such circumstances?
In the UK there'd be an inquest in which some of the background would come out but the point would be to establish the cause of death rather than guilt or innocence of any allegation against the deceased - I'd be surprised if it were any different in South Africa although the process might be less painstakingly carried out, but I hope not

But we'll never really know as the truth died with Roebuck. One point that I think is worth making though is that if I have understood some stuff I have read correctly the Australian Law Enforcment agencies are, quite properly, tenacious in the extreme about pursuing ***ual predators and Roebuck would obviously have known all about Tony Lock's experience when similar allegations were made against him

If all these dark rumours about Roebuck were true then I'd have thought the last place on earth he'd have emigrated to would be Australia

He was a great British eccentric with, as he demonstrated when he stood up and was counted in the Richards/Botham/Garner furore in the 80s, great integrity - he deserves to be remembered for what the evidence confirms he was and not for what unsubstantiated rumours are now emerging

ie a batsman not far short of international standard, a decent skipper, and an intelligent and honourable man who wasn't afraid to express his views and stand up and be counted

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Right so we can post any link we want to a lurid gutter press headline about Roebuck being some sort of evil ***ual predator (do bear in mind that certainly in England and Wales you can libel the dead with impunity) but we can't express a trenchant view to support the reputation of a bloke who can't defend himself?

Come on mods raise your game!
Agree entirely...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Faisal has a perfectly valid point there - that the allegation against Roebuck was an untrue one motivated by malice or greed must be a very real possibility

That sort of thing goes on the world over and to suggest Faisal can't express that opinion strikes me as a little disturbing tbh
But he said he is not speculating when he was. No one said he cannot speculate but then again, is it a crime to point out the fact that he was being hypocritical in that post?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Give $10 to any Zimbabwean man in his mid 20s and he'll testify to anything you want him to.

ITSTL

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What I find interesting is that he seems to be thought of much better down under than he was in the country of his birth. Maybe it's his commentary stints on ABC radio, which we're not privy to.

Up here he was largely regarded as a slightly fruity eccentric whose romantic attachments maybe ran to the recondite with a chip on his shoulder and a style of writing that occasionally veered towards the florid. I personally always felt disappointed in him because he could write and did know the sport but who seemed content to be a soapbox polemicist for his various hobby horses. His tiresome views on some of England's test side being (shock, horror) not native born proved that an argument don't necessarily get any stronger by virtue of being repeated.