• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter Roebuck dies

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is proving to be pretty tough for some people. A lot of people respect/respected Peter Roebuck as a player and commentator. However with the various accusations now coming out against him, it's becoming clear there may be a lot to this man that we didn't know.

To be fair, this can be said about anyone famous or not.....but in general what do you do if someone you admire and respect is accucused or proved to have been involved in something very unsavoury....can you just stop admiring them??
Yeah, I think we all eventually learn that genuine hero-worship, particularly of people we don't know particularly well on a personal level, is not a good idea. However, that doesn't mean you can't admire certain qualities within specific people. If you admired Roebuck's writing, commentary, passion for cricket or anything else along those lines then none of this really changes any of that.

ganeshran

International Debutant
IMO we should respect the person's talent in a particular field but also realize that his exceptional abilities dont necessarily mean that he is morally infallible.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sounds bad on the face of it, but the fella was speaking to The Sun, so he's almost certainly received a fee for his story.

Not that that means he's necessarily a liar and, if the alleged communications were posted on face book, I'd guess they could be retrieved to corroborate.

EDIT: Link worked for me, obvz.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sounds bad on the face of it, but the fella was speaking to The Sun, so he's almost certainly received a fee for his story.

Not that that means he's necessarily a liar and, if the alleged communications were posted on face book, I'd guess they could be retrieved to corroborate.

EDIT: Link worked for me, obvz.
Apparently wasn't paid a fee.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting development. Am now very interested to see exactly what he was to be charged with and what happened when they told him.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Whether he was guilty or innocent in this case we'll probably never know. But given his conviction in the past, it's pretty surprising to see how closely he was involved in running (if thats the right word) this charity, even living with these guys. You would have thought a slightly more hands-off approach would be more sensible on his behalf.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I don't buy any of that crape about him ***ually assaulting a young male. Easy way to malign someone after his death...give 10$ to any Zimbabwean Youth today and he will testify in a heart beat for anything you want him to. (No offence to any Zimbabwean, its true for a lot Pakistanis as well, this is what poverty does to you).

First someone reports he was found dead in his hotel room, than someone says jumped out the window and found dead 6 stories below the hotel room. He called for his friend, he wanted a lawyer, he called his 3 "sons" for character witness...than his friend says it takes like 5 seconds to open the window and he just jumped out, Yeah Right like his friend had opened that window and timed that **** .....

None of this baloney sounds credible to me. Even if its coming from a reputable news source. The real source of this B.S. is still the people involved....Newspapers are only publishing the reports they are getting.

Whatever the truth is, this is not it....and I don't expect it to come out easily either. Peter was certainly up to something...

Something rotten about sports match fixing: Peter Roebuck - Sport - DNA

Even though this is a month old article from him, but bits and pieces of this article reflected his opinion about how much he really "trusted" the games outcomes. According to him even the World Cup couldn't be entirely trusted.

I am not speculating anything but at the same time I am not going to trust any of these jack and jill stories....

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't buy any of that crape about him ***ually assaulting a young male. Easy way to malign someone after his death...give 10$ to any Zimbabwean Youth today and he will testify in a heart beat for anything you want him to. (No offence to any Zimbabwean, its true for a lot Pakistanis as well, this is what poverty does to you).

First someone reports he was found dead in his hotel room, than someone says jumped out the window and found dead 6 stories below the hotel room. He called for his friend, he wanted a lawyer, he called his 3 "sons" for character witness...than his friend says it takes like 5 seconds to open the window and he just jumped out, Yeah Right like his friend had opened that window and timed that **** .....

None of this baloney sounds credible to me. Even if its coming from a reputable news source. The real source of this B.S. is still the people involved....Newspapers are only publishing the reports they are getting.

Whatever the truth is, this is not it....and I don't expect it to come out easily either. Peter was certainly up to something...

Even though this is a month old article from him, but bits and pieces of this article reflected his opinion about how much he really "trusted" the games outcomes. According to him even the World Cup couldn't be entirely trusted.

I am not speculating anything but at the same time I am not going to trust any of these jack and jill stories....

So what exactly were you doing in the previous paragraphs of that post?

Flem274*

123/5

This kind of generalising speculation about Zimbabweans is not welcome thank you, and I wouldn't be surprised if Zimbabwean members were very offended by this post. Don't do it again.

Last edited: