• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter Roebuck dies

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Instrumental in getting Richards an Garner out of Somerset. Botham put JUDAS above his dressing room clothes peg.

Never liked him personally.

Ali TT

International Regular
You genuinely didn't know?
I had thought he'd gone quiet as hadn't seen his thoughtful writings on the game for some time. Assumed he was just busy with his charitable efforts mentoring disadvantaged young men in South Africa and Zimbabwe...

Ali TT

International Regular
More seriously, I recall the guy being an irritant who just wrote diatribes against English cricket but had actually completely forgotten about him over the past decade since his death.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I had thought he'd gone quiet as hadn't seen his thoughtful writings on the game for some time. Assumed he was just busy with his charitable efforts mentoring disadvantaged young men in South Africa and Zimbabwe...
Mentoring is one word for it I guess.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Instrumental in getting Richards an Garner out of Somerset. Botham put JUDAS above his dressing room clothes peg.

Never liked him personally.
Reading through this resurrected thread it seems there was some support for Roebuck's position in that dispute. Crowe and then Steve Waugh (who replaced Crowe when he got injured in 1988) were hugely successful.

Chubb

International Regular
Reading through this resurrected thread it seems there was some support for Roebuck's position in that dispute. Crowe and then Steve Waugh (who replaced Crowe when he got injured in 1988) were hugely successful.
Roebuck was very paranoid about Botham for the rest of his life. Thought he was behind the Devon court case and probably saw him behind the SA police investigation that led to his death.

A very troubled man. Again it is extraordinary the SMH and ABC were willing to employ someone who had his acknowledged record even before the SA case.

The hate he projected onto the English was really just his self loathing.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Roebuck was very paranoid about Botham for the rest of his life. Thought he was behind the Devon court case and probably saw him behind the SA police investigation that led to his death.

A very troubled man. Again it is extraordinary the SMH and ABC were willing to employ someone who had his acknowledged record even before the SA case.

The hate he projected onto the English was really just his self loathing.
The most obvious explanation seems to be that very few people actually really knew him

Ed Cowan, Jim Maxwell and others spoke highly of him after his death while the SMH donated to his “orphanage” after his passing

Even the UK case could be fobbed off as being antiquated punishment as there weren’t any accusations of ***ual misconduct (afaik)

Chubb

International Regular
The most obvious explanation seems to be that very few people actually really knew him

Ed Cowan, Jim Maxwell and others spoke highly of him after his death while the SMH donated to his “orphanage” after his passing

Even the UK case could be fobbed off as being antiquated punishment as there weren’t any accusations of ***ual misconduct (afaik)
Even a lot of English journos, who Roebuck despised (again, projection and paranoia - to him, they were all in Botham’s pocket) spoke highly of his intellect while acknowledging nobody ever really knew him. Vic Marks was a teammate for years and I think at some point Roebuck stopped speaking to him too.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even a lot of English journos, who Roebuck despised (again, projection and paranoia - to him, they were all in Botham’s pocket) spoke highly of his intellect.
Adam Shand is a criminal investigative journalist with a solid reputation

Guy obviously had many secrets

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I recall reading that Roebuck, after his team lost in Sussex, tossed his car keys to Nigel Poppelwell telling him to take the car back to Taunton as he was walking home (over 130 miles). He was rescued on Salisbury Plain the next day.
Ian Botham also relates how one night he went to Roebuck's house to talk to him about a team matter. Getting no reply after banging on the door he went round the back. He saw a light on and, finding the back door unlocked, entered the house. He found Roebuck sitting cross legged in the middle of the living room floor with a rug over his head. "I'm meditating," said Roebuck when asked if he was OK.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I had no idea that 1) he was dead, just like AliTT I think I just forgot he existed and 2) apparently there was some controversy around the guy. Almost fretting going back through and reading why he was a terrible person.

Ali TT

International Regular
Just to be clear, I did know he was dead, had just completely forgotten about him (alive or dead) :laughing: