• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter Roebuck dies

Jacknife

International Captain
May be its Karma...Britain colonized more than half the world and introduced their sport to them, now former colonies produce better players of the sport and England has to recruit them in order to keep the sport alive and actually matter in the sport they invented...
:clown:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I remember he wrote an article after the 2009 ashes decrying the fact that England won and pretty much dismissing it as an aberration, that Australia would soon be back on top and England going nowhere. I don't think it was anything in particular about the likes of Panesar he objected to, it was just something he could use as a crutch to assuage the massive chip he had on his shoulder about his country of birth.
That would be my take on him too. What others have described as 'impartial' was often,for me, simply antipathy towaqrds England: possibly born out of his experiences circa the infamous 1999 court case. It certainly wasn't balanced where his home country was concerned. Of course the manner of his passing was dreadfully sad, but perhaps we can begin to take a slightly more realistic view of his writing than some of what's been seen in the last few weeks..

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Psychology was the best witness the prosecution could have come up with then I'd certainly have fancied my chances defending Roebuck

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Interesting footnote at the end where Psychology (made for slightly confusing reading with all the brothers having nouns for first names too) had semi-recanted and didn't want any quotes attributed. The whole thing reflects as badly on him as it does on Roebuck.

Felt like the sort of thing where one needs a shower after reading it.

Chubb

International Regular
Yeah. Interesting to know from a journalists point of view if that'd ever make them pull a story?
No. If they've agreed, gone through with the interview and then later tell you they don't want it published they can shove it, frankly.

Briony

International Debutant
also, are roebuck's former employers trying to wash their hands off?

Doubt it, there was some criticism in the letters section that their coverage of his death had been syrupy so maybe they're providing an investigative piece for balance.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
12 years after a death seems an awfully long time for an inquest to take place, I suppose a slightly complicating factor was his overseas death but even so, however the Cheshire coroner has (finally) concluded Peter Roebuck took his own life.

I think the apposite phrase is "Well, durr...."

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could have just asked the guys in the foyer who watched him go splat and ended the inquiry 13 years ago.

Chubb

International Regular
I think his mother pushed for a British inquest because she believed he didn’t kill himself, which is sad. Couldn’t accept the truth.

There’s no way he’d have been able to have a career after the British court case in this day and age, let alone what was alleged after he passed. It’s truly shocking he was so highly thought of for so long afterwards.

Was a lot of special pleading about what he did in Devon before you even consider the later allegations. In his autobiography he claimed he didn’t understand pleading guilty meant accepting the charges were true. He had a first class law degree from Oxbridge, for gods sake.

Last edited: