• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Personal Cricket Statutes

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Argonaut said:
I would urge people to not even bother responding to Richard's wayward beliefs when it comes to this first chance average. I don't believe that he has got anyone to agree with him on this. Therefore getting fired up about it is a waste of time and energy.

Just don't respond and we'll hear less about it.
Quite right.
I'm not going to change anyone's mind and no-one's going to change mine. The old, oft-needed, "agree to disagree" notion.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
Because they cost more and some care only about themselves and not about the English game.
Some really do go out into the communities and help raise awareness of the game. Shane Warne, when he went to Hampshire, went out and visited loads of kids, even some terminally ill ones. Both on and off the field he was a 1st class overseas pro (let's not mention the mobile phone thing).

The problem is I don't see the need for so many overseas players, especially when we are forced to allow greedy counties to sign players from all over the world if they have an EU passport. However over-rated I feel Rikki Clarke is, does it really help the English game when Azhar Mahmood takes his place in the 1st XI and leaves a young England International playing in the 2nd XI? How is this supposed to help him learn? Play him in an inferior competition against weaker players?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
How is this supposed to help him learn? Play him in an inferior competition against weaker players?
On the other hand, does it strengthen his resolve and make him realise he has to work hard to get his place back and then keep on working to retain it?

Comfort zone?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Some really do go out into the communities and help raise awareness of the game. Shane Warne, when he went to Hampshire, went out and visited loads of kids, even some terminally ill ones. Both on and off the field he was a 1st class overseas pro (let's not mention the mobile phone thing).

The problem is I don't see the need for so many overseas players, especially when we are forced to allow greedy counties to sign players from all over the world if they have an EU passport. However over-rated I feel Rikki Clarke is, does it really help the English game when Azhar Mahmood takes his place in the 1st XI and leaves a young England International playing in the 2nd XI? How is this supposed to help him learn? Play him in an inferior competition against weaker players?
Yes - personally I rate Mahmood as a far inferior batsman to Clarke, and Surrey have easily enough bowling class in Bicknell, Tudor, Salisbury and Saqlain to avoid needing a fifth bowler. And Clarke and Hollioake can bowl a bit.
Without a question in my mind there are too many overseas players. Some (Warne being one example) are what you'd want from a highly-paid overseas star. More than not, though, if you ask me, aren't.
EU-passport players aren't invariably a bad thing IMO, but the like of, for instance, Neil Carter, Mark Davis, Mohammad Ali and some others don't do anything for the standard and almost inevitably raise costs. I don't think they're likely to keep any England-potential players out because none are that good, but it's the money I'm worried about.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Langeveldt said:
7. Regardless of other peoples opinions, I dont rate Flintoff yet..
He has grown in stature certainly :)

8. I think Harmison has improved enormously though...
You pointed it out before his super run started. Kudos.

10. Jacques Kallis will finish his career as an allrounder second only to Sobers..
His bowling hasnt been as good as always/

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
iamdavid said:
13)England will never regain the Ashes (at least not in the next 20 years)
Got it back in less than 2 :D

4)Jason Gillespie will one day be ranked alongside MM & DL as the greatest paceman ever to play.
Tough chance of that happening but he was super earlier in his career.

9)Stuart MacGill should be playing Sydney 7th grade.
13)Stephen Harmison - see MacGill
Stephen Harmison has done well since then.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
2) SH will take 200 test wickets
3) AG is our best spinner
6) FF for President
7) RC for shooting
8) SRT & BCL >>>>>> RP
Well done Marc on Giles and Harmison specially.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
age_master said:
10) Harmison is the worst bowler i have ever seen in international cricket
13) Ricky Ponting will be a better captain the Steve Waugh
Do you still believe those statements? ;)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Slats4ever said:
9) Justin Langer should be dropped for Slater.
10) Australia should play a world XI every year whilst they're dominating like this.
9) Langer has out done your expectations then.
10)Your wish is partially fulfilled as Aussies not dominating like in last 5-7 years.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. Streak is over-rated. His batting is rubbish and the bowling isn't a great deal better.
2. Blignaut is over-rated. His batting is like Roberto Carlos' freekicks, when it comes off it looks awesome but it only comes off once a year if that. His bowling is part-time rubbish.
3. Ervine's bowling is part-time stuff at best.
4. Ganguly is a tosser.
5. Inzamam's running between the wickets and his fielding make him a pretty average contributor in ODIs.
6. Whenever there's a "50-50 chance" (as quoted by a coach or someone) that Simon Jones will make a tour/game etc. he won't make it.
7. Whenever there's a "50-50 chance" (as quoted by a coach or someone) that McGrath will make a tour/game etc. he will make it.

That'll do for now.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The Argonaut said:
I would urge people to not even bother responding to Richard's wayward beliefs when it comes to this first chance average. I don't believe that he has got anyone to agree with him on this. Therefore getting fired up about it is a waste of time and energy.

Just don't respond and we'll hear less about it.
Almost two years later we havent heard the last of the first chance average :D

Chubb

International Regular
1. On no account must anyone ever question the ability of Ray Price, with bat or ball.
2. Ray Price is in the top five of cricketers ever produced by Zimbabwe
3. Andy Flower is one of the ten greatest batsmen in the history of the game
4. Hamilton Masakadza will one day be the best black player ever to play for Zimbabwe
5. Shane Bond and Dan Vettori are two of the top five bowlers ever produced by NZ
6. Bangladesh will be a major force in twenty years time
7. Cricket in Zimbabwe is not finished yet
8. Alastair Cook will end up with a test average over 45.
9. Essex will come again
10. Danish Kaneria will be one of the best legspinners in history in a few years.
11. Derbyshire will be promoted in the Totesport next year, and will win over five CC matches.
12. Fred Truman is a racist who should never have been allowed to have commentated on national radio.
13. Peter Roebuck is an insane borderline psychopath with both a victim complex and a God complex.
14. If Prince EWS and I were put in charge of Zimbabwean cricket, with full powers to appoint, contract, alter the FC game, select and drop, results would immediately improve, basically I could run Zimbabwean cricket better than the present lot.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
11/ I'd take Gayle over any other ODI opener in world circket bar Hayden.
12/ Gayle is an under-rated ODI allrounder.
Gayle has proven himself very well since then though I would pick Sehwag over him. So good statute there.

13/ Ramnarine is at least as good as MacGill.
Not really by the way his career has gone till now.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Chubb said:
10. Danish Kaneria will be one of the best legspinners in history in a few years.
That will by the no 1 statue I will put. Danish Kaneria is awesome.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
And statements way off the mark!!

Rik said:
1) Steven Harmison is only in the team because he bowls fast and he takes wickets against weak sides
26) Flintoff should never be asked to bowl in Tests, 50 runs a wicket is the reason why we usually draw or loose a Test
31) I don't think England should play Australia more than any other nation and especially not play them in 5 Tests every time. If you want a world Test championship to work, then this has to go
:D

open365

International Vice-Captain
1) Hayden is the best batsman in world cricket
2) Left arm seamers are the best bowlers
3) Ryan Sidebottom, Vass and mike smith are great bowlers
4) Murali is a chucker
5) Graham Thorpe should never have been left out of Englands team
6) Martin Bicknell is under rated