• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Women's Cricket discussion thread

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
4 demerit points which will lead to a 2 game ban for Harmanpreet. No sympathy for her after a certain incident last year....

Meanwhile, Aus heading to a comfortable victory over Ireland. Noticeable that their best bowler has been Garth, not seen at all in the limited overs against England. Although, I guess she might be extra motivated playing back in her homeland.

Himannv

Hall of Fame Member
Surprised NSB didn't bowl for the Rockets. Convincing win for the Braves.

Hate the format of the 100 tbh. Ridiculous idea. Just play T20s ffs.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Mahika Gaur looks a really talented left arm seamer who has yet to turn 18 (seen her last 2 games for the Originals). Has played for UAE, but born in Reading so qualifies for England. Looks like she could be an England regular in the years to come.

kevinw

International 12th Man
Some interesting selections in the England women's side as a few of the bigger names are rested. Heath's selection is good because Jones needs some competition. Gibson is a talented all rounder, Bouchier could do with kicking on at this level, Filer gets another chance, as does Kemp. And we get to see Gaur at this level. But no Tammy??

loterry1994

International Debutant
Lol wtf was that calling that eliminator womens hundred game off and allowing the other team through to the final . Got to fix their damn scheduling and contingencies for when crap like that happens. Rain affected the last t20 tournament as well a few weeks back. Absolute joke

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
Super Smash works the same: if the Elimination Final is rained out, 2nd place goes through. It could've happened last season: rain was hanging around on both matches that day. In the case of the women's match, Otago (who, as 2nd place earned hosting rights & played second) would've gone through instead of (eventual winner) Canterbury.

David456

Cricket Spectator
I think some women would have the speed and strength. Alot of that is not strength but timing.

I think some of New Zealands better players could perform in the state mens cricket.

I also know that before the world cup in 2000 Karen Rolton played club cricket in the mens top grade for higher competition.
Certainly! It appears that you believe certain women possess the necessary speed and strength to compete effectively. You emphasize that timing is crucial, even more so than sheer strength, in various situations. You also hold the opinion that some of New Zealand's talented female players have the potential to excel in men's state cricket matches.

Additionally, you mention an interesting historical example: Karen Rolton participated in men's top-grade club cricket before the 2000 World Cup, possibly to challenge herself in a higher level of competition. This suggests that exceptional female players can indeed hold their own in traditionally male-dominated cricket environments.

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
That NZ squad for the SA tour isn't exactly inspiring, but a bit standard.

Yes, Anderson has been called up (& in my view she needs to find her feet ASAP, certainly before Bates retires, whenever that is, to ensure a relatively smooth transition), but Armstrong is a bit of a surprise. She's decent, but this is perhaps 2 years earlier than I expected a callup for her. Gabby Sullivan may have deserved a callup, but perhaps she's in line behind Rowe, & why Ebrahim gets ignored is beyond me. It's a bit frustrating to see Dodd ignored again (even if she & Bezuidenhout are going for the exact same spot), & I struggle to see why Gaze keeps getting picked. The whole thing around rushing her into the international setup feels a bit rushed.

But then again, that's my main complaint about the NZ setup of late: rushing in domestically unproven players while ignoring proven performers. It's why I found it hard to take the losses at the T20WC. Going in with a squad, an XI you can't honestly call the best you can put up means you're constantly asking "what might have been?"

Last edited:

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Comfortable win for England last night, I suspect it would have been rather more so had rain not offered SL a sniff. Good to see the youngsters getting opportunities. Kemp's batting has improved massively whilst she's been unable to bowl. Hopefully her back issues are resolved as she could become a fantastic all rounder, the natural replacement for NSB. Capsey just continues to look a wonderful batting talent. I only saw Gaur for the first time earlier this year in the 100, straight away you could see something special. Future looks pretty bright for the English team.

SL looked rusty and a bit nervous, but certainly showed enough to suggest they should improve for the run and remain competitive in the next few games.

Ali TT

International Regular
Comfortable win for England last night, I suspect it would have been rather more so had rain not offered SL a sniff. Good to see the youngsters getting opportunities. Kemp's batting has improved massively whilst she's been unable to bowl. Hopefully her back issues are resolved as she could become a fantastic all rounder, the natural replacement for NSB. Capsey just continues to look a wonderful batting talent. I only saw Gaur for the first time earlier this year in the 100, straight away you could see something special. Future looks pretty bright for the English team.

SL looked rusty and a bit nervous, but certainly showed enough to suggest they should improve for the run and remain competitive in the next few games.
Got England on the ropes in the second match although Dean and Wong are trying to make the total defendable.

kevinw

International 12th Man
Disastrous day so far. Not enough runs on the board of course but Cross being belted with disdain and Wong bowling plenty of no balls (I noticed she seldom bowled her full allocations in the Hundred, was that something specific?)

Ali TT

International Regular
Pretty bad effort all round by England but can happen in T20. How they bounce back will be the test. Will surely be one of SL's more impressive wins this one