• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

stumpski

International Captain
The priority for Prior and the bowlers is to see Bell to his hundred - yes, I know it's a team game, but individual milestones help team morale - and the total past 400. Around 430-440 should ensure against defeat.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Again, do you know how to read?

The throwing away part you tried to counter in my post referred to an entirey different thing.
Between 40 and 110, he did indeed do well not to throw it away. But before then, he didn't... well, unless you're referring to the fact that he didn't give a chance every ball of his innings, but that's hardly an achievement.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The priority for Prior and the bowlers is to see Bell to his hundred - yes, I know it's a team game, but individual milestones help team morale - and the total past 400. Around 430-440 should ensure against defeat.
You've usually gotta be getting 600 to ensure against defeat these days.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard will be switching to Mascarenhas worship shortly (he has 2-15 off 8 in a 50 over match).
No I won't, because that's not relevant to the Test match.

Not surprising to see you resorting to insults because I've dared to put down one of your precious Durham players.

stumpski

International Captain
You've usually gotta be getting 600 to ensure against defeat these days.
Even against this lot, in England, in May? This is a very good score I think, notwithstanding all the big runs made in county cricket already.Draw is still favourite though, the weather forecast for Saturday and Sunday isn't good.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Even against this lot, in England, in May? This is a very good score I think, notwithstanding all the big runs made in county cricket already.Draw is still favourite though, the weather forecast for Saturday and Sunday isn't good.
If we're still batting an hour after tea and the light holds up, there's a decent case for declaring at about 450.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bearing in mind the forecast, 450 would be likely to be a safe score. "This lot", however, I might remind you, still have Chris Gayle and Shivnarine Chanderpaul, two capable of massive scores and long innings, plus exceptionally fast scoring. And the rest of the line-up isn't shabby - no-one has any doubt Ganga and Smith can play, for instance, they just haven't ever demonstrated it in more than fits and starts.

As the big scores in the Championship demonstrate, though, "England in May" has ceased to be anything but a stereotype.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If we're still batting an hour after tea and the light holds up, there's a decent case for declaring at about 450.
I really don't see why unless the weather is forecast is dire, which it isn't.

Seriously what's the obsession with declaring at such totals in a Test match? It's completely barmy to declare until lunch tomorrow, there's too much time left.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Between 40 and 110, he did indeed do well not to throw it away. But before then, he didn't... well, unless you're referring to the fact that he didn't give a chance every ball of his innings, but that's hardly an achievement.
You did not understand my post at all or just jumped the gun. Re-read what I said in the 3 posts is all I can say as I can't spell it out further.

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
Only two of the Windies line-up spent any time in the middle in their one 'warm-up' match - they obviously gambled on having three full days at Taunton and they only had about two-thirds of a day. I'm sure that, given the choice they'd have preferred to start the Test series a week or so later. But that's the problem of having to squeeze in seven Tests after a World Cup that finished on 28 April. Something has to give.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I really don't see why unless the weather is forecast is dire, which it isn't.

Seriously what's the obsession with declaring at such totals in a Test match? It's completely barmy to declare until lunch tomorrow, there's too much time left.
I was only going on the previous poster who reckoned the forecast for Sat & Sunday is poor. If you're right and he/she's wrong, then fair enough.

Scaly piscine

I was only going on the previous poster who reckoned the forecast for Sat & Sunday is poor. If you're right and he/she's wrong, then fair enough.
I looked earlier on the BBC and it had nothing more than the odd light shower. I'd be very surprised if there was much play lost to rain in London, if it was at Old Trafford or somewhere then yea it happens a fair bit. Of course with how soft the umpires are with bad light then that could be a different story...

Scaly piscine

Actually I go back a bit on what I said about declaring until lunch, I forgot there were so many overs left, so if England reached 600 tomorrow morning then that'd be a good time to declare. But like I say I don't really see the point in declaring at 450, 500 type scores. You may as well score the runs quickly now when you've got license and it's easier against a tired attack, exceptions being when you've only got a small amount of time left.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Actually I go back a bit on what I said about declaring until lunch, I forgot there were so many overs left, so if England reached 600 tomorrow morning then that'd be a good time to declare. But like I say I don't really see the point in declaring at 450, 500 type scores. You may as well score the runs quickly now when you've got license and it's easier against a tired attack, exceptions being when you've only got a small amount of time left.
Sure - the word "Adelaide" springs immediately to mind.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
He's done more games so far, and I'd say I hear about equal numbers of people slag them off and talk them up. Both make a few more errors than you'd like, but sufficiently few IMO to make them reasonable Umpires.
Fair enough but I personally prefer Dar's umpiring. Seen more of him than Rauf though.