• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I just think 600 is rather excessive considering the wicket is not a road by any means and the West Indies batsman would not know whether to stick or twist with 15 overs or more to face, especially Gayle.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Hahahha. Chris Gayle. What a character.

And well done Matt Prior. Century on test debut at Lord's. Special.

stumpski

International Captain
First England keeper to make a hundred on debut. SC 'Billy' Griffith got one in the West Indies in 1948, but he was a reserve keeper playing as a batsman.

Can't think of another keeper doing it, off the top of my head ... Kuruppu maybe?

PY

International Coach
Well done Mr Prior, reminds me of Geraint Jones' efforts to be honest.

I'd just have a slog now, get to 560 with 10 overs left. Leaves 10 overs for Harmison and Hoggard to get a few in before the close.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just think 600 is rather excessive considering the wicket is not a road by any means and the West Indies batsman would not know whether to stick or twist with 15 overs or more to face, especially Gayle.
That 15 overs isn't much less than England usually bowl in a session, modern day over rates - ugh.

Basically England will have to bat again unless they get WI out for under 320 or whatever the follow-on would be, so you may as well get the runs now when it's easier. Even if WI get like 270 or something they might hang around and score 450 if they're made to follow-on, giving you an awkward target. In this modern area run-rates are so good that you need to reassess when you declare. A low 500 doesn't ensure you get at least a draw these days.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I'd just have a slog now, get to 560 with 10 overs left. Leaves 10 overs for Harmison and Hoggard to get a few in before the close.
Not with the precedents the umpires have set for offering the light.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well done lads.

The light is getting worse there, so no point declaring, the west indies will just walk off.

stumpski

International Captain
Well done Mr Prior, reminds me of Geraint Jones' efforts to be honest.

That's rather unkind of you. :D

Bell's 100 makes it the first instance of four in an innings for England since 1938. The second-day crowd are certainly getting their money's worth.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
What are the highest scores by test debutant keepers, test debutant keepers in their first test innings?

stumpski

International Captain
Athers said it was the third century by a keeper on debut, but no idea who the other two are unfortunately.

I know Brendon Kuruppu got 200 on debut for Sri Lanka, and he was a keeper, but I don;t know if he was keeping in that Test. Just looking it up now.

stumpski

International Captain
Kuruppu was keeping wicket in that match (against New Zealand in 1986-87); he also opened the batting and was on the field throughout the match. As to the other, Wayne Phillips maybe?