• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting fact about Banks...

He paid his own way to the U.S. a while back to visit Lance Gibbs. He went and asked for advice from the great spinner and Gibbs said that Banks was the first West Indian spinner ever to come to him for advice. That says something about Banks as well as the rest of the West Indian spin crop.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
roseboy64 said:
Close of play.England 313/5.Trescothick - 105.Bravo - 2/42.
A funny score in that i think both teams will be happy at the end of the day. If england can go on past 400 without losing a wicket tomorrow then we'll have the upper hand but if WI get another wicket early they could easily bowl us out for 400. I have a feeling the pitch will be a nightmare to bat on in the final innings so i think the WI will be wanting to chase 200 maximum.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
So end of the first day, 313-5, finely balanced.

Score of 400 is par, anything over 450 i think England will be happy, can see this pitch deteriorating from day 3 on.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Impressed by Bravo (again) - he really has a little something about him.

Also impressed by Banks - although he's clearly only playing because Best is injured ;)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Actually Lawson's playing because Best is injured.Banks would have played likewise in my opinion.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
roseboy64 said:
Actually Lawson's playing because Best is injured.Banks would have played likewise in my opinion.
'Twas a touch of cheekiness in Marc's comment... aimed at Craig.

Timewell

U19 Debutant
It was like a lucky dip today for England - one pull and you get a decent prize, the other you get the boobie prize. The first hour tomorrow could very well be the decider of the match in my opinion. The new ball may be interesting, and England will have to keep it tight when they bowl.

tooextracool

International Coach
well i didnt get to watch the game live because of the bangladesh-pakistan game but i watched the replay nonetheless:
the pitch was characteristically flat, a bit like what most wickets in australia are like with the consistent bounce. if the 2 teams bat to their potential this should be an easy draw. meanwhile strauss continued to be langeresque when he flashed at a wide ball outside the off stump of lawson, of course some amount of that dismissal could be contributed to trescothick hogging up 18 balls of the strike at the other end.
rob key on the other hand looked to be struggling against collins,particularly with the ball going away and it wasnt surprising when he finally edged one to slip. nasser hussain mentioned on commentary that his pull shot was neither here nor there and certainly the short ball will be used as a weapon against him in the near future, although another performance like thisin the 2nd innings and i find it inconceivable that he wont be dropped.
vaughan,on the other hand was deceived by the little bit of reverse that bravo was getting and ended up playing a loose shot,spooning it back to the bowler. thorpe, tresco,flintoff and jones all looked good for the while that they batted.
the bowling though was ordinary....
collins looked good when he hit the right length, but too often his overs were mixed with 3 good balls and then 3 juicy half volleys, coupled with the several no balls that he bowled
lawson didnt make the batsman play enough,and kept bowling the same ball,too wide outside the off stump for anyone bar strauss to play at them.
collymore although didnt have the best of luck, didnt look threatening for the most part
bravo was by far the best bowler,accurate and got the ball to reverse a little.however bravo isnt going to be a match winner with the ball this series so WI desperately need one of their strike bowlers to fire, if they want to have any chance of even winning a test in this series

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Interesting fact about Banks...

He paid his own way to the U.S. a while back to visit Lance Gibbs. He went and asked for advice from the great spinner and Gibbs said that Banks was the first West Indian spinner ever to come to him for advice. That says something about Banks as well as the rest of the West Indian spin crop.
Thats the thing, these guys 99 times out of 100 will help, if asked.

Depending on fitness, unless Pedro Collins should consider himself lucky to play in the 3rd Test. Sorry but he has been too wayward.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Impressed by Bravo (again) - he really has a little something about him.

Also impressed by Banks - although he's clearly only playing because Best is injured ;)
Come on admit it - anybody who plays international cricket is immunine to critism.

Note I was being sarcastic.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
as has every other WI bowler bar bravo! i say give him the new ball!
True, but I have not been impressed by Collins so far.

I hope Bravo keeps fit, he could be something special.

Timewell

U19 Debutant
Jones has been cutting well this morning...

Lawson obviously is having trouble with his length - 2 cuts in 2 balls. England out like a rocket 347 - 5. Freddy has a 50!

Craig

World Traveller
And at this rate Gerient Jones could out score Flintoff!

Both are playing well, lets see if they can go make 100s.

Craig

World Traveller
Craig said:
1/And at this rate Gerient Jones could out score Flintoff!

2/Both are playing well, lets see if they can go make 100s.
1/ That didn't work out.

2/ Flintoff has a 100, well done to him.