• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Adamc said:
Intriguing contest between Lara and Harmison developing here - lots of boundaries answered by just as many bouncers. Lara passes 1,000 runs for 2004, 81 runs from 10,000 career runs.
I would imagine that Vaughan is less than impressed with the slow pitches provided this summer. Good tactic by the groundsmen to produce wickets designed to blunt our most dangerous bowler.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wpdavid said:
I would imagine that Vaughan is less than impressed with the slow pitches provided this summer. Good tactic by the groundsmen to produce wickets designed to blunt our most dangerous bowler.
It was pretty much the same outlook for WI earlier this year, just for the opposite reasons.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
WI 2/184 - 437 runs in the day's play from 88.4 overs, 4.93 runs per over. :blink: Incredible number of boundaries being hit too, 474 runs in boundaries alone in this match.

Swervy

International Captain
When he is in good form I think Sarwan is a really good player, but I am not convinced that he playing too well in this innings,it really does look like England could get his wicket at any time (yeah I know he is on 80 odd)...Lara has looked really good though.

WI, if they get a good start in the morning ,should be getting into a position where they can save this match

biased indian

International Coach
i didn't see the game was flintoff effort chanceless. and how is lara looking any chance of reaching 10,000 in this inngs itself

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I believe he gave a tough caught and bowled in his seventies or eighties, it looked like it was on the bowler a bit quick and hit him rather than was dropped

Revelation

U19 Debutant
Lra is looking well set and yes he can get to 10,000 in this innings. He requires a further 41 runs. He entered the innings needing 115 to make it to 10,000. Incidentally, it's been a tight race to 10,000. IF Lara gets it in this innings, he would have done it in 192 innings, beating the previous record by miles. The question now is: Tendulkar has 9470 runs from 184 innings. Can he get the required 530 runs in his next 8 innings or less? (Assuming a Lara 10,000 in this innings) What do you guys think?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If India hadn't postponed that Bangladesh series, I'd have backed SRT - but 530 in 8 knocks against Australia is a huge ask

shankar

International Debutant
Revelation said:
Lra is looking well set and yes he can get to 10,000 in this innings. He requires a further 41 runs. He entered the innings needing 115 to make it to 10,000. Incidentally, it's been a tight race to 10,000. IF Lara gets it in this innings, he would have done it in 192 innings, beating the previous record by miles. The question now is: Tendulkar has 9470 runs from 184 innings. Can he get the required 530 runs in his next 8 innings or less? (Assuming a Lara 10,000 in this innings) What do you guys think?
Sachin's next 8 innings are against Australia!!!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
It was pretty much the same outlook for WI earlier this year, just for the opposite reasons.

Absolutely. My take on it was they, quite understandably, produced wickets for Edwards & Best to ambush England. And it almost worked - remember the mess England got into at the start of the 1st innings in the first 3 tests? Trouble was, of course, they'd bargained without Harmison ....

But at least that tactic made sense given the bowlers at their disposal, which cannot be said for us this summer. This Edgbaston test is a sort of reverse of the 1995 one, when Ambrose's first delivery of the game pitched on a length and ballooned over the keeper's head for 4 byes. The match was over by lunchtime on day 3, IIRC.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
roseboy64 said:
England would not have made 400 without Flintoff.Can't you see?
Jones got 77, and Giles can bat, and wouldn't have gone to such a stupid shot if Flintoff wasn't there - they wouldn't have been in such a good position. Therefore, I see it probable they would have made 400 without him.

Anyway, no-one cares, as we have him, so that's that.