• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

tooextracool

International Coach
shaka said:
Brian Lara won the toss and decided to field first, what is up with that? Normally people want to bat first especially in the first test of the series. The Lord's track is not as quick as it normally is and with an inexperienced attack, this could be a large score could be set in Englands first innings. However Chris Gayle is an intelligent bowler.
nope i think he did the right thing, we have seen how frail this WI batting lineup has been in seaming conditions in the past.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
nope i think he did the right thing, we have seen how frail this WI batting lineup has been in seaming conditions in the past.
The only thing is that it didn't really seam very much.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Swervy said:
well i have to say I was very very disappointed with the West indian bowling in that first session...Best didnt look too dangerous,Collins got a bit of swing but nothing England couldnt handle and Edwards was just down right poor.

If this continues, England could well get a big total here...and i think someone like Flintoff could tear WI apart
I actually think Edwards looked to be bowling a lot better in his last couple of overs. If he keeps it full and straight he'll be in business.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Well then Mr Vaughan should start consider how many overs he intends to bowl.
Very few I expect. His bowling tends to get more and more highly rated the more he refuses to bowl because he doesn't rate it at all!

Craig said:
Would you have preffered say somebody like Paul Collingwood as a batting replacement and can bowl?
We needed cover at 3, but also need an extra seamer.

It's a tricky one, but Ian Bell might have done the job, I wouldn't be comfortable if Collingwood batted that high.

The only other suggestion that might have worked to get Collingwood in would be Jones at 3 for one game only, then Collingwood 6, Flintoff 7?

Of course, the likes of Rikki Clarke and Anthony McGrath can count themselves unlucky ;)

Swervy

International Captain
tooextracool said:
this is typical of tresco, struggles against fast bowling on any wicket that offers a bit of movement
a bit unfair on Trescothick...he looked pretty comfortable out there,and he wasnt struggling vs the fast bowling,and he wasnt troubled by any movement either.

He looked to be in fairly good nick to be honest (yes I know Best dropped him, but he still looked ok out there)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
garage flower said:
Speaking of Richard, isn't this another blow to his theories on the game given that he seems to regard short leg as an ineffective position for the quicks.

2 things.

1 - he'd still claim to be right as it wasn't the best of shots (although to be fair the ball did lift a bit more than expected)
2 - Sarwan was nowhere near short leg, standing about 5 yards for the umpire when he caught it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Even if guys don't get caught there alot, I still think it is a good position to have.

It shows the batsman your attacking, and it puts the batsman under pressure and in two minds when defending a short or full ball, that if he makes an error he will be caught by the short leg fielder.

And besides it prevents him from taking a quick single.

I couldn't agree more.

It is a key position early on IMO - add a few short balls, and the batsman loses one of his best ways of coping with them!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
garage flower said:
Let's hope this rank inhospitality is rammed back down English throats over the next few days.

If it is, then it will be more gently pushed than rammed at this current over rate!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Lara doesn't seem to be able to read the pitches at Lords very well....still, there's plenty of time to go in this match.
In which case neither does Vaughan, who said he'd have fielded first, and neither do the commentators who agreed that if they were Vaughan, they'd have fielded.

Swervy

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I actually think Edwards looked to be bowling a lot better in his last couple of overs. If he keeps it full and straight he'll be in business.

his last over was all over the place...like Boycott said, he has to just keep plugging away a foot outside off stump...not one ball 3 foot outside off, then the next down leg, which that last over was like....coz if he doesnt, England will murder him, especially Flintoff

Mr Mxyzptlk

Swervy said:
his last over was all over the place...like Boycott said, he has to just keep plugging away a foot outside off stump...not one ball 3 foot outside off, then the next down leg, which that last over was like....coz if he doesnt, England will murder him, especially Flintoff
I'm not really referring to the line. I was more heartened by the length. He bowled full and had Strauss is a little bit of trouble - not much, but enough for promise.

Swervy

International Captain
Best has started to bowl with a bit of venom...but England are rattling along at over 6 an over since lunch...400 in the day anyone????

tooextracool

International Coach
Swervy said:
a bit unfair on Trescothick...he looked pretty comfortable out there,and he wasnt struggling vs the fast bowling,and he wasnt troubled by any movement either.
thats just customary of trescothick....looks good before the usual glued feet shot. in only 21 balls he had 2 chances and hit 3 boundaries.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
79 off 13 overs without losing a wicket since lunch. Worcs only scored 75 off 15 in last nights one day game and they were rattling along.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
2 things.

2 - Sarwan was nowhere near short leg, standing about 5 yards for the umpire when he caught it.
Fair enough. Not watching (mercifully, judging by the score), just going on Craig's description.

_Ed_

Well deserved century for Strauss.

His test average at Lord's must be quite impressive.