• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England Thread

Craig

World Traveller
garage flower said:
Speaking of Richard, isn't this another blow to his theories on the game given that he seems to regard short leg as an ineffective position for the quicks.

Anyway, well done Tino. Much needed early breakthrough.
Even if guys don't get caught there alot, I still think it is a good position to have.

It shows the batsman your attacking, and it puts the batsman under pressure and in two minds when defending a short or full ball, that if he makes an error he will be caught by the short leg fielder.

And besides it prevents him from taking a quick single.

shaka

International Regular
Brian Lara won the toss and decided to field first, what is up with that? Normally people want to bat first especially in the first test of the series. The Lord's track is not as quick as it normally is and with an inexperienced attack, this could be a large score could be set in Englands first innings. However Chris Gayle is an intelligent bowler.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Castro starts with 3 no balls, a wide and a 4-ball in his first over. Let's hope he pulls himself together or Windies could effectively be playing with 10-men.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Lara doesn't seem to be able to read the pitches at Lords very well....still, there's plenty of time to go in this match.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stunned to see Fidel in the mix, but he didn't look as bad as he could have. He bowled around 87+ and got some decent swing with a couple of balls. IMO he's nowhere near match-fit, but he's on his way. A Test match isn't a place to be getting that kind of work in though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Tim said:
Lara doesn't seem to be able to read the pitches at Lords very well....still, there's plenty of time to go in this match.
If you're referring to the Natwest final, Lara read it as it was, but he was always going to bowl on it anyway.

Mr Mxyzptlk

shaka said:
Brian Lara won the toss and decided to field first, what is up with that? Normally people want to bat first especially in the first test of the series. The Lord's track is not as quick as it normally is and with an inexperienced attack, this could be a large score could be set in Englands first innings. However Chris Gayle is an intelligent bowler.
I agree with the first part of comment. Rather stupid IMO, but how does Chris Gayle come into the equation?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Which can only mean he had a lack of faith in his players to defend a total in that final.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Tim said:
Which can only mean he had a lack of faith in his players to defend a total in that final.
Which given the fortunes of the West Indies for a couple of years now, is reasonable. That said, probably not the best inspirational point, but Lara has shown faith in the bowlers before and every time he does it seems to backfire.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
i think the decision to bowl first was a good one. It's overcast and the last thing Lara wants is to see WI at 35/5. I think with some good bowling WI can manage some respectability. But then again, i'm not looking for a WI win or series victory. I just want the team to show some consistency (ie, no more 60 and 70 all outs) and for the younger bowlers to take some wickets.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Gayle drops a catch off Edwards. Poor ball and poor shot, but it would have helped Edwards' floundering confidence gloriously.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
WI need to get Strauss soon, he is in good form at Lord's. :( Want to see Omari Banks have a bowl. :)

Swervy

International Captain
well i have to say I was very very disappointed with the West indian bowling in that first session...Best didnt look too dangerous,Collins got a bit of swing but nothing England couldnt handle and Edwards was just down right poor.

If this continues, England could well get a big total here...and i think someone like Flintoff could tear WI apart

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
Well then Mr Vaughan should start consider how many overs he intends to bowl. Would you have preffered say somebody like Paul Collingwood as a batting replacement and can bowl?
no because collingwood has played absolute rubbish in the recent ODI series'

tooextracool

International Coach
wpdavid said:
Best had a lot to say about it, didn't he. Soft shot by Tresco though. I hope that isn't a taste of things to come now he's facing some quicks afgain.
this is typical of tresco, struggles against fast bowling on any wicket that offers a bit of movement

tooextracool

International Coach
garage flower said:
Speaking of Richard, isn't this another blow to his theories on the game given that he seems to regard short leg as an ineffective position for the quicks.
nope only the good players....
regardless i would have a short leg for the first 15 overs of every test match