• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Australia

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
howardj said:
Im pretty glad that you, Linda and Aussie are not Australian selectors :p. With a talented youngster, getting dropped doesn't necessarily 'set them back'. For instance, does anyone think it's wrong that guys like Justin Langer, Matt Hayden, Ricky Ponting, Michael Slater, Damien Martyn, Steve Waugh, Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath etc were all picked in their early 20's? Those guys were not really ready for Test cricket, in that they all got dropped fairly early in their careers.

History shows though, upon their return to the Test side, they were pretty damn good - they knew what top level cricket was all about. I would much rather a player take that path, than picking a 30/31 year old debutant. It's hard to name any newcomers of that age who have gone on to give '4 or 5 years of consistent service'. Guys who go on to be outstanding Test players have generally debuted fairly young. That they are exposed to International cricket at a young age is a help, not a hindrance, to their development.
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure those players averaged more than a misely 38-39 at first class level and at the time deserved their chance at test level and showed that they could be capable, bit different when you look at Clarke's record.

Mister Wright

aussie said:
Yes i agree that the fact that Pup has been exposed to test level so early will help him, i'm not denying that. But now he can go back to FC & iron out his little technical flaws & i have no doubt he will come back a better batsman...
He will get very little chance to get FC exposure as he is in the one day side and will miss the last 2-3 months of first class cricket with the VB series and South African tour. Hopefully the selectors realise that form in one day cricket does not transfer automatically to test form and that the give him enough time to get his game in order in the first class arena or otherwise we could see him have a merry-go-round like career.

howardj

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure those players averaged more than a misely 38-39 at first class level and at the time deserved their chance at test level and showed that they could be capable, bit different when you look at Clarke's record.
I agree with you about Clarke not quite having the same FC record as some of the aforementioned blokes, before Test selection. I was just speaking more generally, about at what age is best for really talented blokes to enter the International arena. Early exposure is good.

Mister Wright

howardj said:
I agree with you about Clarke not quite having the same FC record as some of the aforementioned blokes, before Test selection. I was just speaking more generally, about at what age is best for really talented blokes to enter the International arena. Early exposure is good.
I agree. However if there is no batsman worthy enough why put them in ahead of someone who is 28-30 in good form and the necessary experience?

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
May have to stay up late and watch some of this, really wanna see Lara fire, he deserves a bit of luck after a few dodgy dismissals in this series.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Top_Cat said:
Colin Miller?
Colin Miller is an enigma to me. I've always wondered what he must have been thinking during his test career.

He we have an old bloke, hardly anybody noticed, plying his trade for years in the domestic comp.

Suddenly at the age of about 50 he gets plucked out of nowhere and stuck in one of the greatest test sides to ever play the game, spends a few years there and wins test player of the year.....then disappears.

When i think of Colin Miller I can't help but think he got caught in a time warp or something. Bet he was surprised as anyone when he had his life turned upside down out of the blue.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
aussie said:
well mine is showing pretty clear mate...
Bloody tv must be messing me about then. I'm interested to see how Dwayne Smith goes in this game, apparently Sarwan described him as being 'as good as Bravo', at a dinner the other night.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
What purpose does what the umpires were doing before the game solve?

For the aid of people not watching they had put a ball on the ground and aiming with other balls to hit that ball bowls style.

Last edited:

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
sqwerty said:
Colin Miller is an enigma to me. I've always wondered what he must have been thinking during his test career.

He we have an old bloke, hardly anybody noticed, plying his trade for years in the domestic comp.

Suddenly at the age of about 50 he gets plucked out of nowhere and stuck in one of the greatest test sides to ever play the game, spends a few years there and wins test player of the year.....then disappears.

When i think of Colin Miller I can't help but think he got caught in a time warp or something. Bet he was surprised as anyone when he had his life turned upside down out of the blue.
Ahhh good old Colin Miller, never forget the moment the Dazzler cleaned him up well and truely at Sydney in 98/99 Ashes series during his hat trick.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Gilchrist never got there and then it came to the hand of Warne but he couldnt hold it on. Benaud reckons there might be a touch of glove to it.

My question is why the batsman flashed at such a ball.