• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Australia

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
age_master said:
Symonds vs Hodge:

Bowling and fielding Symonds wins by alot

Batting: Hodge isn't as consistant as people like to think, and he is nowhere near as devistating as Symonds. personally i would much rather watch Symonds bat. Symonds is also quicker between the wickets.
If there's one thing Hodge isn't, its consistant.

Hes certainly a better batsman than Symonds though, consistant or not.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If there's one thing Hodge isn't, its consistant.

Hes certainly a better batsman than Symonds though, consistant or not.
Agree on both. There's a reason Hussey and Hodge haven't played any international cricket until they were 30 and it usually went like this; strong start to the season with a hundred or two, the press in their respective states start talking them up, they then average high 20's/low 30's for the rest of the season. With Hodge, it was almost like clockwork sometimes.

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
test cricket is not about age at all

u just have to win every test match with whoever there is no long term goal in site liek a worldcup things must eb taken on a match for match basis.

also VVS laxman should be in indias one day team and should play in the next worldcup or it would be a travesty

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I dont think Symonds and Hodge are competing for a place and so there is no real need to compare them at the moment.

Symonds gets a place because he can bowl a bit and Australia need some one to use the fairly new ball if they are going to play 2 seamers.

Any batsman who feels he is not getting a chance to play test matches for Australia - start bowling!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
ClownSymonds said:
It would be better to give players like him a full run rather than to give inferior players like Hodge a chance.
What??. how the hell is Hodge inferior..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
While not strictly true, I don't see the problem in a player at the age of 30-31 coming in and giving 4 or 5 years of consistent service than being set back by picking a player at the age of 22-23 who isn't ready for test cricket and having them dropped after a year and a bit when they could come in as a well performed 25 or 26 year old and provent themselves thoroughly at domestic level.
spot on, in the end that will be very good for Australian cricket, i dunno why people are so worried about the age of the side once its the best players available i have no problem at all.

Mr Mxyzptlk

ClownSymonds said:
Furthermore, you must remember that Symonds is certainly a far better batsman than Hodge in limited overs cricket, which is half of the modern game.
On what basis? Hodge hasn't played ODIs, so you can't be judging on that. He averages a good 4+ runs more than Symonds in OD cricket, with twice as many centuries in roughly half the number of innings!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
For the record, Hodge actually averages 6 and a bit more in Pura Cup (44.20 vs 37.96).

And remembering that after three seasons, Hodge averaged 20 in First Class cricket...

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
On what basis? Hodge hasn't played ODIs, so you can't be judging on that. He averages a good 4+ runs more than Symonds in OD cricket, with twice as many centuries in roughly half the number of innings!
Symonds' average is only slightly worse in List-A, which doesn't really tell the story since Symonds has been a much improved batsman. His strike rate is far better than Hodge's, which is almost as important as average in limited overs cricket. Centuries are nice, but Australia already has enough century makers in the squad.

Top_Cat

Symonds' average is only slightly worse in List-A, which doesn't really tell the story since Symonds has been a much improved batsman. His strike rate is far better than Hodge's, which is almost as important as average in limited overs cricket. Centuries are nice, but Australia already has enough century makers in the squad.
So are you saying that now they can therefore afford to pick guys who don't make tons because they're not needed?

:blink:

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Mister Wright said:
I must admit that I thought Hodge was a tad over-rated, but after watching his cool, calm and collected innings I have turned a corner. He is also more elegant than I thought (must be because I really only see him bash it about in ING cup matches because he always fails at the 'Gabba :p ). Good luck to him.
I have to agree.. I thought he had a touch of dirty slogger in him to be honest, but I can see now that hes got plenty of natural ability about him.

I also agree with waiting a bit longer to put players into the Test team. I love Clarke as much as the next person, but theres no doubt a couple more seasons in our domestic comp would have done him the world of good.
Just seeing the different attitude that Hussey and Hodge have shown makes me think we should take the quality of experiance more seriously. Im not saying we should wait until their 30, but just not throw them in at the deep end in their early twenties, heap praise and AB medals on them, and expect them to perform like a veteran.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warnie's still sore but wants to play

I don't think that's a good move on Warne's part. He's hardly got to worry about losing his spot, and the series is hardly in the air like McGrath with the Ashes. He should, I reckon, sit out this next test, let MacGill and Bracken have a go, and then come back fitter. If he wants to last however many more years, he's not going to do himself any favours by playing when he's stiff (cue joke).

andyc said:
Warnie's still sore but wants to play

I don't think that's a good move on Warne's part. He's hardly got to worry about losing his spot, and the series is hardly in the air like McGrath with the Ashes. He should, I reckon, sit out this next test, let MacGill and Bracken have a go, and then come back fitter. If he wants to last however many more years, he's not going to do himself any favours by playing when he's stiff (cue joke).
It's only a bit of soreness. It should clear up in a couple of days.

After a wasted year out being banned & missing a few games with broken diget injuries over he past few years I doubt he's going to let test caps slip away without a very good reason.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ClownSymonds said:
Symonds' average is only slightly worse in List-A, which doesn't really tell the story since Symonds has been a much improved batsman.
But when you look at FC stats you don't include such caveats...