• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Australia

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Jason_M said:
"Since when does no talent get you 21000 FC runs, including over 6000 test runs?"

Back when Hayden first came into test cricket he struggled against good but ageing attacks, since his return the standard of bowling has fallen sharply. You could get just about any decent state player and have thrown him into this Australian side over the past 5 or 6 years and they would have scored heavily.
But Hayden scored heavily in Sheffield Shield back then, when Aussie bowlers were of a very high standard. There were cries from Queensland to let Hayden get a test spot during the 1992/93 season, when he was smashing everyone around the park, IIRC.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jason_M said:
Can you beleive Hayden/Hussey marching toward the total of 78 by playing cautiously and taking singles :wacko: If that was Lara or Gayle they'd finish it off in style but instead Hayden and Hussey were too concerned about their averages despite having already notched up tons in the 1st innings, talk about vain.
Is that you Neil Harvey?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
cameeel said:
The reason Australia has done so well is because it has batsmen like Hayden, Langer etc in the side,
I would have thought the bowlers had something to contribute...no ?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Jason_M said:
"why should he change his style just cause you think thats how they should play?"

he's someone who is clearly playing cricket for the $ alone and not for the enjoyment of the game.
How would you know?

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
This is australia's strongest test 12 in my opinion. Those batsmen are all in some good form and the bowlers have all been bowling well this season. I still can't believe hussey didn't play in the ashes; that was one of the worst decisions the australian selectors have made since giving scott muller a run in tests. Thankfully the selectors have turned it around and I wonder if david boon's addition to the panel is just a coincidence...

Symonds did a better job as all-rounder than Watson I feel. Where watson was going for runs and getting almost nothing in return, symonds at least bowled tight, tidy overs to keep the pressure on.

When you think the test side has lost gillespie, kasper, katich, martyn and clarke from its ranks, the only questionable decision there is martyn but even that wasn't such a bad decision to me.

Slow Love™

International Captain
SquidAU said:
I think we can put Jason_M's comments down to the absolute hatred he has for the Australian cricket team (as he has stated in previous posts). Can't make rational statements about something you already dislike.
Actually, you can.

He doesn't, though.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Crazy Sam said:
This is australia's strongest test 12 in my opinion. Those batsmen are all in some good form and the bowlers have all been bowling well this season. I still can't believe hussey didn't play in the ashes; that was one of the worst decisions the australian selectors have made since giving scott muller a run in tests. Thankfully the selectors have turned it around and I wonder if david boon's addition to the panel is just a coincidence...

Boon has been a selector for a while, Merv is the new boy

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Boon has been a selector for a while, Merv is the new boy
same thing. i thought merv's only use was losing weight for television ;) :P

As for hodge, it was brought up on another forum that symonds was a 'joke' and 'not fit for test cricket'. Which is a load of crap given the enormous hype surrounding hodge in the past few weeks yet he averages 46 compared to symonds's 44 in first class cricket, which compares with just 38 for clarke. what's the big deal?!

howardj

International Coach
This Australian team for Adelaide (assuming Bracken carries the drinks) has an average age of 32.5 years. This makes it the oldest team since the Bodyline series 72 years ago. In fact, it would be older than the Bodyline team, but for the fact that team had two players over 40 who raised the average age to 33 years.

Anyway, after five sackings since the Ashes, as Mark Waugh said just before, hopefully the selectors let things be for the rest of the summer and give this XII an opportunity to relax and play some good cricket.

Last edited:

Josh

International Regular
age_master said:
Hodge is the most overrated batsman in the country for mine. hes not even in the same league as Martyn or Lehmann
Only because he's victorian tho, can you admit that??

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
I agree that Hodge is nowhere near as good as Martyn and Lehmann. Lehmann, in particular, got screwed over by the selectors after one bad series against Pakistan. He's done better than ever in state cricket recently, even scoring an unbeaten triple-century. Sad that he got prematurely kicked out of the Australian team. It would be better to give players like him a full run rather than to give inferior players like Hodge a chance.