• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Australia

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
For the next Test, with Langer obviously coming back into the team, they may as well leave Andrew Symonds out if he's going to be that innocuous and bowl so few overs. I'd like to see Clarke get one final chance, before the (hopefully competitive) South Africans arrive.
Agreed.

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Hodge
Clarke
Hussey
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
McGrath
MacGill

I'd expect, with Adelaide so unhelpful for seamers, that Bracken would miss out.

Jason_M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The Aussies are the most despicable team in world cricket and will go down as the team that brought all the undesirable attributes into cricket.

They continually pressure the umpires into decisions with loud and constant appealing to balls that they know themselves are not out. They are playing on the umpires mind and giving him the impression they are always close and today once again the umpires have been sucked in. There's no doubt this is a deliberate tactic and needs to be met with discplinary action.

Last edited:

Blaze

Banned
Jason_M said:
The Aussies are the most despicable team in world cricket and will go down as the team that brought all the ugly .

They continually pressure the umpires into decisions with loud and constant appealing to balls that they know themselves are not out. They are playing on the umpires mind and giving him the impression they are always close and today once again the umpires have been sucked in. There's no doubt this is a deliberate tactic and needs to be met with discplinary action.

Exactly right.. Lee and Ponting have to get fined.

howardj

International Coach
Jason_M said:
They continually pressure the umpires into decisions with loud and constant appealing to balls that they know themselves are not out. .
That's why I think it's an absolute joke that Gilchrist makes such a big deal (as he did in his book titled 'Walking to Victory') and the media makes such a big deal, out of him 'walking'. I mean, if you are going to 'walk' and then make a big deal of it, then great. But don't then turn around and appeal against guys who you know are not out.

Jason_M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
"Lee and Ponting have to get fined"

They certainly do, i could not beleive Lee appealed for a ball that was going miles down leg side and of course the rest of the gang jumped straight into it as well. Ponting's just a little brat, the way he went on in England really shows what he and this Aussie side is all about. Shane Warne is another one if not the worst offender, the umpires should tell him to tone it down instead of trying to be good mates with him.

I have nothing but disdain for what Australia has done in the past 10 years to acheive the success they have.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
howardj said:
That's why I think it's an absolute joke that Gilchrist makes such a big deal (as he did in his book titled 'Walking to Victory') and the media makes such a big deal, out of him 'walking'. I mean, if you are going to 'walk' and then make a big deal of it, then great. But don't then turn around and appeal against guys who you know are not out.
Excellent point. I remember Gilchrist giving Kaif crap back when Aus toured India saying something like "The whole world is watching" when he didn't walk after edging a ball, and the umpires gave it not out. Well Gilly, the whole world is watching during so many stupid appeals too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jono said:
Excellent point. I remember Gilchrist giving Kaif crap back when Aus toured India saying something like "The whole world is watching" when he didn't walk after edging a ball, and the umpires gave it not out. Well Gilly, the whole world is watching during so many stupid appeals too.
The funny thing about this all is that I have seen Lara walk everytime he nicks them. And I have basically watched all of his innings. And he has done it under high pressure situations as well, like in the WC game against Sri Lanka when his wicket was the key (the Murali factor, of course). Only Sangakkara genuinely appealed, the slips just sorta joined in and Vaas didn't even appeal. The ump was walking away and so was Lara, to the pavilion. And yet, he is not even asked (worse yet, even mentioned) about it. And I honestly think Lara has done it more consistently than Gilly.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well to be fair all the commentators mentioned the fact that Lara always walks today when discussing his appeal. That's what brought about most of the doubt. Then when the replay was shown it was clear he was far from out, and hence why he didn't walk.

I do remember Billy Bowden mentioning once on Sports Tonight (an Australian sports news show for those that don't know) that once he gave Lara not out for the sheer fact that he didn't walk, and later replays showed he was out, and Billy was disappointed. I never saw the game however so meh to that. Billy needs all the help he can get lately though.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Thats a very good point.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
howardj said:
How do you know he knows? We're not having this ridiculous argument again are we? Why don't you trot off and start a thread called 'Reasons I Dislike Some of the Aussies - Disguised as Facts' and get it over and done with.

Son Of Coco

Jason_M said:
The Aussies are the most despicable team in world cricket and will go down as the team that brought all the undesirable attributes into cricket.

See above.

Son Of Coco

Craig said:
Did he really have to play at that if he was just going to play a defensive shot?

There wouldn't have been any way he could have been out LBW (wouldn't have hit a 2nd set of stumps).
I don't think he picked it as the one that skids on, which is why he played at it.

Son Of Coco

Blaze said:
Exactly right.. Lee and Ponting have to get fined.
I have an idea that could curb this appealing 'debacle' we are facing at the moment.

Why don't we give all the players Pocket PC's and when they want to ask the question of the umpire as to the possibility of a player being in such a position as to be deemed 'out' they can simply email a message under the heading 'Howzat' to the man in charge. When the umpire hears a 'ping' announcing the arrival of an appeal, a screen drops from the front of his hat with said appeal on it and he then emails the batsman to let him know of his decision - which is also broadcast on the screen for the crowd so they understand what is happening. If this is coupled with a 'three foot rule' like that used in netball defending as the allowable distance to move when appealing and I think we'll have a game that suits all tastes.

Instead of fining players for infringing, they could simply have their broadband access cut off so they have no idea what's going on...it would put them in touch with some of the spectators.

howardj

International Coach
Son Of Coco said:
How do you know he knows? We're not having this ridiculous argument again are we? Why don't you trot off and start a thread called 'Reasons I Dislike Some of the Aussies - Disguised as Facts' and get it over and done with.
So you honestly think he thinks that they may be out all the time? Get over yourself.

Furthermore, criticising someone about one aspect of their play, hardly means I dislike them. 8-)

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

howardj said:
So you honestly think he thinks that they may be out all the time? Get over yourself.

Furthermore, criticising someone about one aspect of their play, hardly means I dislike them. 8-)
So you claim to know that he doesn't? I'm over myself, and this argument. It's ridiculous, unless you're psychic and haven't told us.

It doesn't, but when the criticism seems to be based on...what? Then it hardly seems constructive.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Bravo Bravo :clapping:

Does Warne pull out that face very often? Or just when he cant take a wicket...? :mellow:

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
I've often wondered how the likes of Ponting and Lee have escaped fines. Lee's standard LBW appeal is to run down the whole length of the pitch with his arms in the air and then only turn around once he's past the stumps, and Ponting is always moaning to the umpires about one thing or another.

As for guys like Gilchrist and Warne, well, they are allowed to appeal and for the most part I don't have a problem with that, but what i completely object to is the antics after they have even a regulation appeal turned down. They (especially Warne) stand in the middle of the pitch looking as if they've just had a guy given not out after being bowled, and then moan at the umpire on the way back to their positions.