• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

Days of Grace

International Captain
For me Warne is better but not by such a distance as some suggest because based on the stats there isn't too much between them really and they must have other motives behind their opinions.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Based on stats, mate, Murali is streets ahead.

It's not just the racial issue for some Aussies. It's nationalism, and the fact that they have seen Warney play a lot more times than Murali.

IMO, in Australia, once a cricketer attains legendary status, it seems that it is almost sacrilegous (excuse the spelling) for anyone to challenge them or question their status. i.e. Bradman, Trumper, Warne, and to a certain extent, Lillee. For some reason, some Aussies believe that are the divine nation of cricket and how dare someone say that one of their players is better than an Aussie legend.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater

It's not just the racial issue for some Aussies. It's nationalism, and the fact that they have seen Warney play a lot more times than Murali.

IMO, in Australia, once a cricketer attains legendary status, it seems that it is almost sacrilegous (excuse the spelling) for anyone to challenge them or question their status. i.e. Bradman, Trumper, Warne, and to a certain extent, Lillee. For some reason, some Aussies believe that are the divine nation of cricket and how dare someone say that one of their players is better than an Aussie legend.
Not streets but lanes.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was referring more to instances of the 1960/61 West Indies Tour where the white Gerry Alexander was accepted into someone's home when his two darker skinned companions weren't. Also, with the issue of the iimmigration restrictions of the past as well as some recent acts of violence against those whose origins are from the subcontinent I think. Didn't say that anyone here on CW was racist but why is it that Lee's action isn't at all discussed as based on the naked eye it is a bit suspect. Lawson gets called time and again but gets cleared by the ICC every time. Also I haven't heard reports of any Australian or Englishman's action being brought into question. Saying that there are quite a few who'll disregard Murali based on race. Not the majority though who are Warne fans and won't accept his greatness being challenged. Also, others have pro- aussie biases.For me Warne is better but not by such a distance as some suggest because based on the stats there isn't too much between them really and they must have other motives behind their opinions.
I accept that. I also accept that if Alexander and his team-mates had toured the US, they wouldn't have been able to get on the same bus in some states at that time. The white Australia policy was disbanded in the late 60s-early 70s.
If that's the basis of saying Australia has a racist past, then so do all the other countries, including SA, India, UK and US. Not to excuse it, but it's a fact. So why would it be a basis for seeking to invalidate critics of Murali from this country instead of any other?
Re. the riots here at Cronulla - was an anti-Middle Eastern thing iirc. Still diabolical though and a moment of great shame, frankly for most right-thinking (as opposed to Right-thinking) Australians.
I think the point that Warne is such a hero to so many here is probably a more vaild one - there tends to be a zealous/ over-zealous defending of his record over anyone else's.
Re the Lee issue - I suppose it's not discussed in this particular thread given the subject of it. I have heard it discussed a few times on CW, but certainly not to the extent of the Murali issue. Why that's so I don't know, given that CW has members from all over. I suspect it may have to do with Murali's record rather than a race thing, because we don't really discuss many others re. their actions, be they from anywhere.
There was a recent thing on here not long ago, including a discussion involving SS re Shoaib's delivery, but for the most part it's not discussed as much. Personally, I haven't really looked into the evidence of whether Shoaib chucks or not, and based on the times I've seen him bowl, I don't think so. As for Lee, I think he's had some problems in the past when he's gone wider on the crease, and I think he was reported about it and did some remedial work. I haven't heard it mentioned too much lately though.
I do know that there have been some other Aussie bowlers who have had their actions queried - Aaron Bird is one - and they've had to go and be analysed before having remedial work done on their actions. Perhaps, and it's only a maybe, those guys might get picked up within the under age elite squads or at 1st class level befor they get international exposure. If you look at the individuals who've done most of the bowling for Australia in recent times, there probably hasn't been an issue (Lee aside) - Gillespie, McGrath, S Clark, Kaspa, Warne, McGill - they weren't individuals whose actions have been under suspicion. But that doesn't mean that the next young quick form here who comes through won't be scrutinised if his action is suspect.
I suppose, with Lee as with anyone, it needs to be monitored because you might have someone who normally has an action that passes muster, but on a certain day, fatigue or injury may cause that person to infringe. Which is why, imo, it was madness to take the decision on throwing out of the umpire's hands on the field.

archie mac

International Coach
Way to extrapolate something that quite clearly doesn't exist. Australia does have a racist history, just like India has a racist and ***ist history too. That doesn't make you, the individual Aussie, a racist.
He basicly said all Australians are racist, what post were you reading, I have had ago at no other country, and have no intention of doing so.

May it all so be said that I thought Blee threw when he went wide of the crease, and opened up his action.

May I also say that I condemed Warne for abusing a SA player and giving him a send off

May I also say that I condemed Ponting for his dissent towards umpires

But yes I only think Murali throws because of my ancestors actions:@

And how dare I think Sobers the greatest AR in cricket history, ah yes he married an Aussie girl, that must be the reason why:laugh:

adharcric

International Coach
I'd tend to agree with that especially considering Australia's racial history.
Racial history? How is that relevant? America had black slaves not so long ago, India had a thriving caste system not so long ago and England was an imperialistic power led by several racist leaders not so long ago. "Racist elements" is a bit more accurate but even then, it is clearly a very small minority in Australia.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

There's definitely a nationalistic pride amongst a lot of Aussies, including me. I like to think I'm less one-eyed than some and am prepared to give great cricketers their due, from whatever country they hail.

But can you blame us for having a high opinion of Australian cricket and Australian cricketers? As I see it, there must be a reason that Australia has won more Test matches and has a winning head-to-head record against every other Test playing nation throughout cricket history.

Of course that doesn't mean all our players are better than any of their equivalents from other countries, not by a long shot. But why can't we think that maybe, just maybe, Australia's unequalled history of success means that our cricketers have been at or near the top of their respective piles?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He basicly said all Australians are racist, what post were you reading, I have had ago at no other country, and have no intention of doing so.

May it all so be said that I thought Blee threw when he went wide of the crease, and opened up his action.

May I also say that I condemed Warne for abusing a SA player and giving him a send off

And how dare I think Sobers the greatest AR in cricket history, ah yes he married an Aussie girl, that must be the reason why:laugh:
Wow, again, you are making accusations that quite clearly aren't warranted. He wasn't having a go at all aussies or trying to say that you were racist...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I accept that. I also accept that if Alexander and his team-mates had toured the US, they wouldn't have been able to get on the same bus in some states at that time. The white Australia policy was disbanded in the late 60s-early 70s.
If that's the basis of saying Australia has a racist past, then so do all the other countries, including SA, India, UK and US. Not to excuse it, but it's a fact. So why would it be a basis for seeking to invalidate critics of Murali from this country instead of any other?
Re. the riots here at Cronulla - was an anti-Middle Eastern thing iirc. Still diabolical though and a moment of great shame, frankly for most right-thinking (as opposed to Right-thinking) Australians.
I think the point that Warne is such a hero to so many here is probably a more vaild one - there tends to be a zealous/ over-zealous defending of his record over anyone else's.
Re the Lee issue - I suppose it's not discussed in this particular thread given the subject of it. I have heard it discussed a few times on CW, but certainly not to the extent of the Murali issue. Why that's so I don't know, given that CW has members from all over. I suspect it may have to do with Murali's record rather than a race thing, because we don't really discuss many others re. their actions, be they from anywhere.
There was a recent thing on here not long ago, including a discussion involving SS re Shoaib's delivery, but for the most part it's not discussed as much. Personally, I haven't really looked into the evidence of whether Shoaib chucks or not, and based on the times I've seen him bowl, I don't think so. As for Lee, I think he's had some problems in the past when he's gone wider on the crease, and I think he was reported about it and did some remedial work. I haven't heard it mentioned too much lately though.
I do know that there have been some other Aussie bowlers who have had their actions queried - Aaron Bird is one - and they've had to go and be analysed before having remedial work done on their actions. Perhaps, and it's only a maybe, those guys might get picked up within the under age elite squads or at 1st class level befor they get international exposure. If you look at the individuals who've done most of the bowling for Australia in recent times, there probably hasn't been an issue (Lee aside) - Gillespie, McGrath, S Clark, Kaspa, Warne, McGill - they weren't individuals whose actions have been under suspicion. But that doesn't mean that the next young quick form here who comes through won't be scrutinised if his action is suspect.
I suppose, with Lee as with anyone, it needs to be monitored because you might have someone who normally has an action that passes muster, but on a certain day, fatigue or injury may cause that person to infringe. Which is why, imo, it was madness to take the decision on throwing out of the umpire's hands on the field.
Except when someone said some derogatory remark at a player in the US, it made front page ESPN news. In Australia, it seems to be, if not tolerated, accepted that it will happen and people just say the victims should 'get tougher.' There have been couple first-hand reports from members on this forum who have seen/experienced first hand that type of thing, yet I've been going to US sports games for 10 years, and have never heard or seen something like that there. Something is different, no? That doesn't mean that majority are that way, or even a big minority. But the minority, small as it may be, feels comfortable being vocal without all that much fear.

India, I know it happens a lot to those of lower caste. England, it happens but from all the account I've read, to a much lesser degree these days (except for more isolated incidents). Frankly, I don't care if you think he throws or not, especially as I think he might. What matters is that some of those who do think he throws are comfortable using racist taunts and bigoted comments in Australian sporting venues.

Racial history? How is that relevant? America had black slaves not so long ago, India had a thriving caste system not so long ago and England was an imperialistic power led by several racist leaders not so long ago. "Racist elements" is a bit more accurate but even then, it is clearly a very small minority in Australia.
Of course it is relevant to the overall culture. It is not relevant when talking about specific individuals, like archie. If you don't think caste system still plays a huge part in how people are perceived or treated, for example, even in well off places and outside the subcontinent...you are kidding yourself.

There's definitely a nationalistic pride amongst a lot of Aussies, including me. I like to think I'm less one-eyed than some and am prepared to give great cricketers their due, from whatever country they hail.

But can you blame us for having a high opinion of Australian cricket and Australian cricketers? As I see it, there must be a reason that Australia has won more Test matches and has a winning head-to-head record against every other Test playing nation throughout cricket history.

Of course that doesn't mean all our players are better than any of their equivalents from other countries, not by a long shot. But why can't we think that maybe, just maybe, Australia's unequalled history of success means that our cricketers have been at or near the top of their respective piles?
Australia have won a lot of games because their overall talent far exceeds any other country..Not because they have, man for man, the best players in the world. And there is nothing wrong with national pride or thinking x is better than y. Even I do it, and I hate most of the indian players. :p

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia have won a lot of games because their overall talent far exceeds any other country..Not because they have, man for man, the best players in the world.
The first sentence of my third paragraph agrees says much the same thing. I disagree though that our success is purely down to the biggest overall talent pool - I think historically we've had plenty of individual players who can claim to be the best, or close to the best, players of their type in the world.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The first sentence of my third paragraph agrees says much the same thing. I disagree though that our success is purely down to the biggest overall talent pool - I think historically we've had plenty of individual players who can claim to be the best, or close to the best, players of their type in the world.
Yup, and you have that even now. McGrath was quite clearly the best fast bowler in the world. Ponting is the best batsman in the world. But that doesn't mean you have the best player in the world at every position from #1 to #11. But Australia wins, IMO, because there are very few weaknesses. People at every position are at least good, if not great...which makes it tough as hell to beat them because you can't exploit all that many people and they have to contend with very few liabilities.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yup, and you have that even now. McGrath was quite clearly the best fast bowler in the world. Ponting is the best batsman in the world. But that doesn't mean you have the best player in the world at every position from #1 to #11. But Australia wins, IMO, because there are very few weaknesses. People at every position are at least good, if not great...which makes it tough as hell to beat them because you can't exploit all that many people and they have to contend with very few liabilities.
Agree with all that. I know it's pretty much what you said in your last post, but I think you said it much better this time. :) :p

roseboy64

Fair enough about that. Didn't know he was reported and I'd be inclined to accept your points.

I never said all Australians are racist. I did say that that is the basis for a few to put Warne over Muralitharan though. That is why a few won't even accept a well made point favouring the latter as their prejudices won't allow them to.
Yeah racist elements is probably more right but it still is relevant as some base their opinions on that. Same as other people the world over including those who are black who come up with twisted theories based on their bias against those of lighter skin.

pasag

RTDAS
I never said all Australians are racist. I did say that that is the basis for a few to put Warne over Muralitharan though. That is why a few won't even accept a well made point favouring the latter as their prejudices won't allow them to.
Who are these few you're referring to just to clarify? It's one thing to say that some Australians may abuse Murali because of racism (although it's just as likely to be overprotection of Warne) but it's another thing completely to insinuate that a person would say Warne>Murali because of the colour of Murali's skin, which I hope you're not doing here and would be quite silly on your part.

roseboy64

Not silly IMO. Prejudice makes people do irrational thngs so not out of the realm of possibility. No one in particular BTW.

pasag

RTDAS
Not silly IMO. Prejudice makes people do irrational thngs so not out of the realm of possibility. No one in particular BTW.
It's kinda idiotic tbh and an insult to what the problem of real racism is all about. Not to mention that a) there are plenty of valid arguments to say Warne > Murali and b) an Australian preferring an Australian over a non Australian despite evidence to the contrary is more likely bias, more than anything. Keep the racism card out of it, thanks.