• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
KaZoH0lic said:
Maybe I'm not getting this accross right...here it goes. What I am saying is that IF MURALI didn't play Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and in those number matches played more competitive teams he wouldn't have as many wickets. It isn't about Warne V Murali. But in this board if you say something against Warne or Murali, it suddenly because a bout.

This is what I detest in these arguments: Where people who can clearly see the guy isn't bowling right and is grabbing his shoulder not to play the second day can ignore that for the sake of competition. Mate, I could care less if you consider Murali better or worse than Warne. I watched the match, to say it didn't affect his bowling is ridiculous. What's more ridiculous is when the aforesaid "But Murali plays injured too sometimes" is inserted. Why is he automatically inserted? You say Bangladesh is good at playing spin and hype them up and in the same breath say: "Even an injured Warne should do well against Bangladesh". Really, come on mate. This never was a Warne V Murali thread, but I see that one of the reasons the Aussies are disliked is for this rivalry. As said before...I got my answer to this thread...
And you know what I detest about these arguments? The fact that you can't accept that Warne didn't bowl as well as he could have (even considering the shoulder strain) and that Bangladesh actually played him well. I have seen Warne himself bowl better even while carrying a shoulder strain like he did in the 2001 series against India. I brought in Murali in exactly this context. To show that people (and even he himself) have bowled better even while carrying a shoulder strain. Why do you think Warne has to be so immune of being criticized for what was a below par performance, injury or no injury?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
And you know what I detest about these arguments? The fact that you can't accept that Warne didn't bowl as well as he could have (even considering the shoulder strain) and that Bangladesh actually played him well. I have seen Warne himself bowl better even while carrying a shoulder strain like he did in the 2001 series against India. I brought in Murali in exactly this context. To show that people (and even he himself) have bowled better even while carrying a shoulder strain. Why do you think Warne has to be so immune of being criticized for what was a below par performance, injury or no injury?
I don't know? You tell me? I don't immune him from anything. I can just tell when a guy can place a ball off will alone, who is bowling pretty off, isn't in the same shape as when he took 40 wickets. Stuart Macgill was bowling visibly better and you can see how he came off it. So, I'm not saying 'poor little Warnie didn't get a chance', I'm saying this is obviously not his best, and in a 5 innings overview, it isn't much to predict how he'd do.

As for him getting more wickets against England than Bangladesh...8-) Tell him to bowl fewer and give him the Aussie support bowlers. We'll see how he does :).

***ADD: This is going to go in circles, I can tell. LOL

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
KaZoH0lic said:
I don't know? You tell me? I don't immune him from anything. I can just tell when a guy can place a ball off will alone, who is bowling pretty off, isn't in the same shape as when he took 40 wickets. Stuart Macgill was bowling visibly better and you can see how he came off it. So, I'm not saying 'poor little Warnie didn't get a chance', I'm saying this is obviously not his best, and in a 5 innings overview, it isn't much to predict how he'd do.

***ADD: This is going to go in circles, I can tell. LOL

As for him getting more wickets against England than Bangladesh...8-) Tell him to bowl fewer and give him the Aussie support bowlers. We'll see how he does :).
he still has the better strike rate, for all that you just said.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
he still has the better strike rate, for all that you just said.
Murali is the marathon-type bowler. Warne isn't. For myself, this is one of the main reasons why I consider Warne better. Hadlee had a better strike rate than Marshall as well. Exemplifying that, it isn't rare to find in some instances. However Warne's career stats show he has a better strike rate than Murali. Pretty gifted if you ask me.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
Son Of Coco said:
Perhaps what you wrote wasn't that clear!? It happens to all of us.

I certainly don't assume that we write it better that's for sure. You do need to be fairly certain the mistake wasn't in your depiction before you go around slagging off people re: the way they interpret their own language though.

I've done it thrice already with Kazo and twice with Marc. If they still cant get it, maybe ESL courses would be a good idea.

C_C

International Captain
Son Of Coco said:
You're possibly right...

I think the massive chip he seems to have on his shoulder re: all things Oz may rankle at times though. Apparently we're supposed to understand the cultural differences we have with other nations yet it doesn't run the other way. A narcissistic approach never really gathers too many fans.

I tend not to be friendly towards cultures that promote hostility and 'anything goes' mentality amongst its populace in the name of winning.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
C_C said:
I tend not to be friendly towards cultures that promote hostility and 'anything goes' mentality amongst its populace in the name of winning.
So it's ok for me to be hostile towards cultures that I've seen burn down stands etc on televison and that go around to player's houses burning effigies when that's the sum total of my knowledge re: that country is it? I think the 'anything goes' mentality thing is up for debate - is it also ok to cheat yet not swear at anyone?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
C_C said:
I've done it thrice already with Kazo and twice with Marc. If they still cant get it, maybe ESL courses would be a good idea.
I'll be doing a TESOL course later in the year so...I'll let you know if it helps! :happy:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
That is an outrageously racist comment. Who are you to judge Australian culture with a blanket statement claiming that it promotes hostility? It is an utterly absurd and terribly inaccurate statement, and if anyone was to make a similar suggestion about a different nation that they had never visited I imagine you would be one of the first to criticise them for it.

C_C

International Captain
That is an outrageously racist comment. Who are you to judge Australian culture with a blanket statement claiming that it promotes hostility?
Perhaps i should've been more specific. I am not talking about the entire aussie culture- just the cricketing culture, commonly brought forth by Ian Chappell with 'sledge to win, any rule in the rule book can be bended' philosophy, which is the commonly acknowledged ( and it has even been substantiated partly through the media) cricketing culture of Australian teams.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
C_C said:
Perhaps i should've been more specific. I am not talking about the entire aussie culture- just the cricketing culture, commonly brought forth by Ian Chappell with 'sledge to win, any rule in the rule book can be bended' philosophy, which is the commonly acknowledged ( and it has even been substantiated partly through the media) cricketing culture of Australian teams.
You knew perfectly well what you were saying, and it had nothing to do with 'the cricketing culture' otherwise you wouldn't have used the collective term 'populance'.

You can attempt to back track all you like, but that was a racist comment, simple as that.

C_C

International Captain
You knew perfectly well what you were saying, and it had nothing to do with 'the cricketing culture' otherwise you wouldn't have used the collective term 'populance'.

You can attempt to back track all you like, but that was a racist comment, simple as that.
So ? whats wrong with using the term 'populace' with 'cricketing culture' ??? You think cricket and its ideals dont have an effect on the populace ? What about pop culture ? does it have an effect on the populace ?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
benchmark00 said:

No, the misunderstanding must be on your side, because C_C has already lectured Australia on the extent his mastery of the English language.

benchmark00

C_C said:
So ? whats wrong with using the term 'populace' with 'cricketing culture' ??? You think cricket and its ideals dont have an effect on the populace ? What about pop culture ? does it have an effect on the populace ?
So once again, if you're saying it has an affect on the populance, you're talking about the population as a whole, not just the cricketing fraternity.

howardj

International Coach
Posts that you won't see in this thread.

Warne supporter: "Oh I take your point. Ive changed my mind, Murali is the better bowler".

Murali supporter: "OK, you've got me. Warne is superior, and a smashing lad."

Everyone has fairly entrenched views on these two chaps, and how they match up against each other. No point debating it, really.

C_C

International Captain
benchmark00 said:
So once again, if you're saying it has an affect on the populance, you're talking about the population as a whole, not just the cricketing fraternity.

?????

So if i say ' i hate pop culture and the effect it has on the populace', i am dissing the populace ?!? Besides, i would appreciate it if you got your accusations right. Even if i had a dislike of Australian people, it hardly constitutes as racist, as race isnt equated with nationality and neither is Australia an accurate synonym for any racial reference ( however oblique - one could make an oblique reference to India or China in a racial sense as they also represent significant majority of a particular race). I am not talking or even hinting at white people/brown people/black people etc. etc. if i make a comment about Australia. If you wish to label me, get your labels right please.

:wacko:

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:

Warne supporter: "Oh I take your point. Ive changed my mind, Murali is the better bowler".

Everyone has fairly entrenched views on these two chaps, and how they match up against each other. No point debating it, really.

Posts you wont see in this forum :)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:

Dream on.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:

You'll be lucky to get that from one of Warney's "nurses", let alone a Murali fan...

benchmark00

C_C said:
?????

So if i say ' i hate pop culture and the effect it has on the populace', i am dissing the populace ?!? Besides, i would appreciate it if you got your accusations right. Even if i had a dislike of Australian people, it hardly constitutes as racist, as race isnt equated with nationality and neither is Australia an accurate synonym for any racial reference ( however oblique - one could make an oblique reference to India or China in a racial sense as they also represent significant majority of a particular race). I am not talking or even hinting at white people/brown people/black people etc. etc. if i make a comment about Australia. If you wish to label me, get your labels right please.

:wacko:

For someone who has such a self proclaimed excellent grasp of the english language, you really aren't familiar with the definition of race are you?

A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics

Australians are grouped by a geographic parameter... i.e. where theyre from... let me dumb it down for you a bit: from Australia...