• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
I have not commented on his last 2 year performance in any manner.
Okay what has he achieved in ODI cricket over his career to deserve so much hype ? :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Sehwag is not as over hyped as he is put down by his detractors and given much less credit than is his due.
So being selected for a ROW XI isn't being given credit then?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
So ?? doesn't make him a better ODI batsman though. For all we know Afridi can be more destructive than Gilchrist, but does it make Affers a better batsman ? NO
Afridi has an average of just 24. It is 33 percent less than that of Sehwag. Sehwag's average is 20 percent less than that of Gayle. So the comparison is not exactly the best in the world.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
So being selected for a ROW XI isn't being given credit then?
Credit from certain quarters like yourself. Again, really that difficult to understand as you make it out to be?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Okay what has he achieved in ODI cricket over his career to deserve so much hype ? :p
Well he's averaged over 30 against Bangladesh, NZ, Zimbabwe and England of the Test playing nations... :)

Under 30 for the others though :(

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Because Zoysa does not exactly have a note worthy average. I thought you knew that much about cricket.
Oh I do, but you seem to be placing so much relevance on S/R and ignoring runs scored that it was a logical extension.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
They are definately much closer compared to a 31 & 39. :)
So? Gilchrist and Sehwag have similar strike rates. Gilchrist and Gayle do not. Neither do Sehwag and Gayle.

Is it clear now? :D

And its higher than 31 ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Credit from certain quarters like yourself. Again, really that difficult to understand as you make it out to be?
Where have I not given him credit - all I've done is rate someone else a better player.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Afridi has an average of just 24. It is 33 percent less than that of Sehwag. Sehwag's average is 20 percent less than that of Gayle. So the comparison is not exactly the best in the world.
Shwag's avg. 31, Affers - 24 -> diff is 7 ( 22.5 % of 31)

Gayle's Avg. 39, Sehwag - 31 -> diff is 8 (20.6 % of 39)

Dont know how you came to the 33 % and 20 % figure.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Oh I do, but you seem to be placing so much relevance on S/R and ignoring runs scored that it was a logical extension.
An average of 32 and an average of 10 or whatever have large difference. An average of 32 with a strike rate of 95 is more potent than 39 and 80. Its not placing so relevence.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
Shwag's avg. 31, Affers - 24 -> diff is 7 ( 22.5 % of 31)

Gayle's Avg. 39, Sehwag - 31 -> diff is 8 (20.6 % of 39)

Dont know how you came to the 33 % and 20 % figure.
31.8 and not 31.

7.8/24 is 32.5%

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
So? Gilchrist and Sehwag have similar strike rates. Gilchrist and Gayle do not. Neither do Sehwag and Gayle.

Is it clear now? :D

And its higher than 31 ;)
Does this post make sense to anyone else or Is it just me who didn't get a single bit of it ?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Where have I not given him credit - all I've done is rate someone else a better player.
Then compared to me, you are either giving Gayle more credit or Sehwag less credit or both. Else it cannot happen that you feel Gayle>Sehwag and I feel that Sehwag>Gayle.

So I might feel you are not giving Sehwag credit which is his due.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
You first claimed he does not desrve so much hype. So try to prove that first.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
Point remains though that the Run difference between those Affers-VS & VS-Gayle is almost same.
Run difference almost the same but percentage run difference not almost the same. So the comparison is not good enough as I already said.

Some one with an average of 16 with a strike rate of 14 would be a far worse batsman compared to Afridi than Afridi would be compared to Sehwag.