• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
howardj said:
Yeah, I think that's what could be termed as the selectors over-analysing things. Sangakarra, even way before these last two ODI games, was the standout candidate for the SuperTest. They should have just exercised their common sense and not become too bogged down with analysis.
How he's not in the test side I'll never know, its a disgrace. I love watching him bat, he's performed all 3 times I've seen him live this year (against Victoria and 1st and 2nd ODIs against Aus).

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Sehwag vs Gayle

Player Batting Avg Strike

Sehwag 31.9 95.7
Gayle 38.9 78.8

So a 15 points higher strike rate is not crucial in a one day match?

Gilchrist has a one day batting average of just around 36 and a strike rate around 95. In one day cricket strike rate is very crucial.

Sehwag is easily better than Gayle for me.
No Strike rate means nothing if you can't score runs consistently.

* Gayle has played 5 matches less than Sehwag, has 11 centuries (4 more than VS), 23 50s (4 more than VS).

* Compared to VS, Gayle Avg.s better against Aus, Eng, SA, SL, PAK, Zim.

* Gayle Away avg. is 59 compared to VS' 29. Gayle's avg. while chasing - 42, VS - 32

* Both started their season in 1999-2000, Gayle has outperforme VS in almost every season.

* As an opener Gayle avg. 42, VS avg. 34

* Gayle's avg. is better in India, SA, Eng, SL, WI, Zim

There is just no competition. As a batsman, Gayle beats VS in almost every statistical way. VS is overyly hyped as an ODI batsman.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I agree Sanz, and I finally managed to convince my mate of that too. He's merely dangerous, and isn't as good as many think he is. I'm not sure why he isn't as good, but he just isn't. Its possibly got to do with the fact there are more fielders in front of him, so he tends to hit the ball straight to them often.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Adamc said:
Look, you're quite right that strike rates are significant in ODIs, but to suggest that a strike rate 15 points superior surmounts an average 7 points inferior is simply speculation. Sehwag and Gayle play different roles in different teams despite both being openers.
I agree Sehwag and Gayle are different kinds of batsmen and one may be more suitable in a specific team compared to another.

A weak batting line up of the Windies team for example may prefer a player with an average of 39 but a strike rate of 78.5. However a strong batting line up (which ironically did not perform very well) would want a player with a much higher strike rate even though the average may be lower.

The logic is simple. A fairly stronger batting line up will have lesser issues of lasting 50 overs and the scoring more runs in the given 50 overs will be of a higher priority.

Thus I do not see the logic of Gayle>Sehwag for teams with lesser weak points and ROW side in particular.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jono, It's true that Sehwag can be devastating on his day but let's not forget that Gayle can be eually(if not more) destructive on his day.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
Gilchrist has an average of 36 and a strike rate of 95 like Sehwag. So would you say Gayle>Sehwag also?

Sehwag is not as over hyped as he is put down by his detractors and given much less credit than is his due.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
No Strike rate means nothing if you can't score runs consistently.

* Gayle has played 5 matches less than Sehwag, has 11 centuries (4 more than VS), 23 50s (4 more than VS).

* Compared to VS, Gayle Avg.s better against Aus, Eng, SA, SL, PAK, Zim.

* Gayle Away avg. is 59 compared to VS' 29. Gayle's avg. while chasing - 42, VS - 32

* Both started their season in 1999-2000, Gayle has outperforme VS in almost every season.

* Gayle's avg. is better in India, SA, Eng, SL, WI, Zim

There is just no competition. As a batsman, Gayle beats VS in almost every statistical way. VS is overyly hyped as an ODI batsman.
In all your examples you are bringing out the example of averages. And we all know Gayle has a better average than Sehwag. That is not the be all and end all. And for consistency you have to bring in the concept of standard deviation and not averages. Scoring at a lower strike rate, Gayle may well have a lower standard deviation and hence higher consistency (if some one takes the pain to analyse that) but in one day cricket a blazing start , a quick fire 50 can be far more crucial than you may imagine.

We cant really discount a higher strike rate so vehementally.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
Jono, It's true that Sehwag can be devastating on his day but let's not forget that Gayle can be eually(if not more) destructive on his day.
Yet the strike rates show Sehwag is more destructive over his career.

PY

International Coach
howardj said:
Let's call it a draw, shall we.
Before we've completely ground it into the ground and repeated ourselves 18 times? :D

That's just not cricket. :p

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
In all your examples you are bringing out the example of averages. And we all know Gayle has a better average than Sehwag. That is not the be all and end all. And for consistency you have to bring in the concept of standard deviation and not averages. Scoring at a lower strike rate, Gayle may well have a lower standard deviation and hence higher consistency (if some one takes the pain to analyse that) but in one day cricket a blazing start , a quick fire 50 can be far more crucial than you may imagine.

We cant really discount a higher strike rate so vehementally.
a quick-fire 50 isn't that significant anymore in one day cricket, every team has players in the top order who can give you a quick-fire 50 but with the 50 over totals breaking the 300 mark quite regularly these days, a fast 50 while it is a decent contribution to the total, just doesn't go as far as it used to....

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The thing about strike rates is..you could score 11 off 10, 8 off 3, 15 off 20 then 3 off 2 but have a high strike rate, which don't take into account getting out, unlike averages.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Anil said:
a quick-fire 50 isn't that significant anymore in one day cricket, every team has players in the top order who can give you a quick-fire 50 but with the 50 over totals breaking the 300 mark quite regularly these days, a fast 50 while it is a decent contribution to the total, just doesn't go as far as it used to....
If the batting line up is strong, the good start can go a long way in posting a big total.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
NZTailender said:
The thing about strike rates is..you could score 11 off 10, 8 off 3, 15 off 20 then 3 off 2 but have a high strike rate, which don't take into account getting out, unlike averages.
Sehwag does not have that low an average actually.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sanz said:
Don't worry Sanz, I'm fully aware of that as I just witnessed Gayle go absolutely nuts live today. It was one of the best ODI cricket knocks I've seen live in terms of pure enjoyment. I was loving every minute of it and didn't want it to end.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Gilchrist has an average of 36 and a strike rate of 95 like Sehwag. So would you say Gayle>Sehwag also?.
Gilchrist's avg. is almost same as Gayle's and Strike rate is considerably better and If ODI batting capabilities come I would rate Gilchrist above Gayle but not by a huge margin. Gilchrist plays for Australia and that's why his efforts get more attention as opposed to Gayle's (Something true for Sehwag also because Indian media does a good job of hyping him up)

As for giving VS credit, Please tell us what he has done in last couple of years to be reagraded as an elite ODI batsman ?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sanz said:
Gilchrist's avg. is almost same as Gayle's
36.45 and 39 ar almost the same? Not really.

As for giving VS credit, Please tell us what he has done in last couple of years to be reagraded as an elite ODI batsman ?
I have not commented on his last 2 year performance in any manner.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Yet the strike rates show Sehwag is more destructive over his career.
So ?? doesn't make him a better ODI batsman though. For all we know Afridi can be more destructive than Gilchrist, but does it make Affers a better batsman ? NO

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
over the performance of a single game.
Erm no, a fair few people said it before the series actually.

Then others asked why he was in during the first and now second game...