• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
So how does that make them better ODI bowlers than Lee then?
They're better bowler full-stop - ODIs, test matches, first class all irrelevant.

McGrath, Warne and MacGill are 3 of the less than 10 world-class match-winners world-wide at present.

All 3 can play with the substitute role.

social

GoT_SpIn said:
How can Macgill be our best bowler when he cant even make the team.

Anti Macgill personally...
Selection nonsense.

He is one of the top traditional 5 leg-spinners ever and his record backs it up (dont count O'Reilly or Kumble because they are are basically medium pace top-spin bowlers).

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kallis. Rubbish.

Can't bring myself to word much more right now, but getting up at 5am was proving a good decision until JK made a complete harris of everything... not only did he try to run Sanga out 3 times before succeeding, he then succeeded before proceeeding to hit the ball straight at fielders for 7 overs and cost the game.

Urrgh.

Neil Pickup

BoyBrumby said:
Really showing my age now, but there used to be a v poor dance act over here called D*Ream (pronounced dee-ream); I adopted the habit of saying "the D*ream's over" instead of "the dream's over" & it's stuck.

That concludes today's history lesson, children. :p
I understood.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Kallis was poor. Gayle and Sangakkara played awesomely. The middle order had to steady the ship and make sure they didn't get out but keep the score ticking over. You would expect the likes of Kallis, Lara, and Dravid to do this, but alas they failed their team. That said, very happy that the Aussies got up :D

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Selection nonsense.

He is one of the top traditional 5 leg-spinners ever and his record backs it up (dont count O'Reilly or Kumble because they are are basically medium pace top-spin bowlers).
Possibly because when he plays his one off test a year , he plays on spinning favoured wickets. And yet he still managers to bowl atleast 2 full toses or half trackers per over

social

Neil Pickup said:
Kallis. Rubbish.

Can't bring myself to word much more right now, but getting up at 5am was proving a good decision until JK made a complete harris of everything... not only did he try to run Sanga out 3 times before succeeding, he then succeeded before proceeeding to hit the ball straight at fielders for 7 overs and cost the game.

Urrgh.
Fine individual player but horrible team player.

One of the few players in world cricket that doesnt increase his scoring rate during the course of an innings.

social

GoT_SpIn said:
Possibly because when he plays his one off test a year , he plays on spinning favoured wickets. And yet he still managers to bowl atleast 2 full toses or half trackers per over
MacGill does not restrict runs, he takes wickets.

BTW, who would you rather see play? MacGill, who will eventually bowl a side out, or the dross Aus fielded in England that neither restricted runs or took wickets?

Neil Pickup

Makes me wonder how SA will use him in their Twenty20 against the Kiwis in a couple of weeks.

It's also criminal that the guy holds the Test record for Fastest 50. All Graeme Cremer's fault...

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
social said:

BTW, who would you rather see play? MacGill, who will eventually bowl a side out, or the dross Aus fielded in England that neither restricted runs or took wickets?
How can you possibly maintain pressure on an opposing team by continually bowling bad balls, the batsmen will then get their eye in and off they go.

I would rather see good ole dross play :D

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
social said:

I'm with you social

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
gee australia played well, that was great tonight. a quite entertaining game from both teams; that six from symonds was unbelievable and the way gayle so easily smashed all those runs in the first 15 overs or so was breathtaking.

social

GoT_SpIn said:
How can you possibly maintain pressure on an opposing team by continually bowling bad balls, the batsmen will then get their eye in and off they go.

I would rather see good ole dross play :D
Take wickets and the opposition doesnt get their eye in.

Fact remains that MacGill has the best strike rate of any spinner since 1900 and, when backed by Warne and McGrath, Aus will never chase many (especially against a team as diabolically bad against spin as Eng)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Take wickets and the opposition doesnt get their eye in.

Fact remains that MacGill has the best strike rate of any spinner since 1900 and, when backed by Warne and McGrath, Aus will never chase many (especially against a team as diabolically bad against spin as Eng)
Like i said, he only plays on spinning wickets.

social

GoT_SpIn said:
Like i said, he only plays on spinning wickets.
So play him CONSISTENTLY on other wickets and see how he fares. Is that too much to ask for someone with his record?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
So play him CONSISTENTLY on other wickets and see how he fares. Is that too much to ask for someone with his record?
We dont need him on other wickets, we have warne

social

BTW, who's the wk for the World X1 in the test match?

Apparently it's not Sanga. His non-selection is a disgrace.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
social said:
BTW, who's the wk for the World X1 in the test match?

Apparently it's not Sanga. His non-selection is a disgrace.
It's Boucher, I think. It should have been Sangakkara IMO as well. Interesting to see how Boucher goes against two spinners on a (presumably) turning SCG pitch...