• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
shaka said:
Does anyone think the World XI are missing a quality fielder, e.g. Gibbs? I know Pieterson is a good fielder but he was picked more on his batting imo
He must have been because he certainly wasnt picked for his catching,Ihahaha

cameeel

International Captain
shaka said:
Does anyone think the World XI are missing a quality fielder, e.g. Gibbs? I know Pieterson is a good fielder but he was picked more on his batting imo
They are, though i'm at a loss to suggest a fielder that can fill that role AND either bat or bowl at a sufficient level, and i wouldnt call Pieterson the best fielder in the team, maybe at ground level, but other then that.

nehrafan

Banned
shaka said:
That great English sub fielder comes to mind, forgot his name though.He should have been in the 14 member squad just to annoy Ponting.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jlo33692 said:
Marc what about over the last,well since the world cup games,do you know the averages then for symonds?
Those are the figures I gave you.

An all-rounder needs to be able to bowl as well as bat.

cameeel

International Captain
nehrafan said:
That great English sub fielder comes to mind, forgot his name though.He should have been in the 14 member squad just to annoy Ponting.
:D

Though he wouldnt get a go under the super-sub rule

cameeel

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Those are the figures I gave you.

An all-rounder needs to be able to bowl as well as bat.
Fair point, but given his form over the past 18 months he'd probably be picked even as a specalist batsman

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
cameeel said:
They are, though i'm at a loss to suggest a fielder that can fill that role AND either bat or bowl at a sufficient level, and i wouldnt call Pieterson the best fielder in the team, maybe at ground level, but other then that.
Cameel i thought that was the Ozzies had a great advantage ,in the field,they were and are clearly a step ahead of everyone in ODI fielding,they can and will improve there catching but watching at close hand they are absolutly brilliant in the field,they build so much pressure and1 other point we have had a lot of bagging for Ponting but he was great captain last night and no doubt put a few knockers back in there place.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
shaka said:
Shaka,that is amazing that kind of money,Gee i hope he can revive the west Indian cricket as when they are good it adds so much to cricket ,they play such an entertaining style sadly lacking for 10 years now,Lets hope huh?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
jlo33692 said:
Shaka,that is amazing that kind of money,Gee i hope he can revive the west Indian cricket as when they are good it adds so much to cricket ,they play such an entertaining style sadly lacking for 10 years now,Lets hope huh?
What a good man, thats a bundle of cash and hopefuly will help boost WI cricket. wow...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tim said:
Interesingly enough, Vettori's best ODI score is 83 off 85 balls against Australia a year or two back in Christchurch.
He seems to be one of the few players who must actually enjoy playing them!
That's because Australia are the only team he does really well against.

cameeel

International Captain
jlo33692 said:
Cameel i thought that was the Ozzies had a great advantage ,in the field,they were and are clearly a step ahead of everyone in ODI fielding,they can and will improve there catching but watching at close hand they are absolutly brilliant in the field,they build so much pressure and1 other point we have had a lot of bagging for Ponting but he was great captain last night and no doubt put a few knockers back in there place.
There was nothing wrong with Australia's fielding at ground level last night, as you'd expect with Ponting, Symonds, Clarke and Watson in the side, but the catching has continued to deteriorate under Ponting's reign, even under Steve Waugh it wasn't quite as good as it was when Tubby Taylor was the skipper. Australia need to improve their catching to mask the effects of an aging bowling attack, good as it still is, McGrath and co. arent going to get any younger, so we need to take as many chances as possible off their bowling.

cameeel

International Captain
jlo33692 said:
....... pressure and1 other point we have had a lot of bagging for Ponting but he was great captain last night and no doubt put a few knockers back in there place.
True, he did do a good job, and he deserves to be captain of the One Day team, however, i still think that Gilchrist should be the Test captain, Ponting is a wonderful OD captain but seems to lack enough creativity in the Test arena, though having said that i'd be ecstatic if proved wrong, he's a wonderful player

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
What about a tip 4 tommorow? anyone want to have a few stabs ,just for the record,
Ill have a go at an aussie win,around 270 ,high score A Symonds 111,Bowling best G McGrath 4/24 Expensive i know but there you go hahaha, Other mob,best Flintoff 88,best bowling Murilli 5/45
crowd 38,000, man of match, A Symonds. just for the record,good to look back on and see how far out i am hahaha,,,oh and best captain R PONTING AUS

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
cameeel said:
True, he did do a good job, and he deserves to be captain of the One Day team, however, i still think that Gilchrist should be the Test captain, Ponting is a wonderful OD captain but seems to lack enough creativity in the Test arena, though having said that i'd be ecstatic if proved wrong, he's a wonderful player
He was always going to be on a hidding to nothing though after Tubby and then waugh,high standards indeed?
what did you think of third umpire? i thought a bit silly at one point,the ROW appealed for something,but knowing it was not out after going into huddle they got back in positions only to be delayed by some umpire rechecking and then giving not out. IMO if it stays like that we will end up with no umpires and it will be controlled by a few umpires upstairs giving out or not out on appeals.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Another point on the Telstra Dome, after reading Sambit Bal's column at cricinfo - aside from what are completely legitimate criticisms about the surface, I think there's been some overdoing of it in terms of general criticism of the ground. Had there been an 18,000 attendance at the MCG, I feel that the empty seats would have appeared even more starkly, and I don't believe it would have been much improved.

While it's desirable that the roof be open (and I think this is best when the weather is clear), on a day like yesterday, having the roof is a match-saver, because without it, I doubt we'd have had much play, if any at all. It was certainly raining most of the afternoon and much of the night where I live, and I'm only 10 minutes from the city.

Apart from this though, one of the real problems of the night was that the game was a fizzer. It was a slaughter. I can't help wondering whether people would be making such comments about the venue (or at least so vociferiously) if it had come down to ten runs needed off the last over, and the World XI had just gotten home.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
McGrath 'rested' for the second match. Lee, Bracken, Clark, Watson, Symonds - one would hope that the world's best batsmen could at least muster 250 against that attack.