• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

Dydl

International Debutant
Prince EWS said:
Form changes though.

If they didnt expect him to score runs in this match, they wouldnt have picked him.
Yeah, what's the point in selecting someone who you think is going to get out for virtually/realistically no runs??

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Dydl said:
Yeah, what's the point in selecting someone who you think is going to get out for virtually/realistically no runs??
Giving you an excuse to drop him later on, if you don't really have an excuse to now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
vic_orthdox said:
Giving you an excuse to drop him later on, if you don't really have an excuse to now.
You shouldnt need an excuse. If you dont think a player will perform, dont pick them.

Slow Love™

International Captain
greg said:
It's hardly surprising they couldn't raise themselves. They were promised a fantastic atmosphere in a packed stadium. They got a library atmosphere, with an outfield that looked better suited for rugby.
That outfield really was horrific. Poor show.

Hopefully we'll get a much better attendance for the remaining games, 'cause Telstra Dome has a great atmosphere with a decent crowd in. Maybe people were of the opinion it'd be a walkover after our Ashes effort, although you'd have thought that people would have wanted to see the star-studded World XI. Off season it's been kinda hard to get great attendances for these games in past years though.

I'm a little surprised we in Melbourne were able to watch the whole game though - I'd assumed before the match that it was because it was a sellout. But perhaps the fact that it was live on TV locally had something to do with the poor attendance? There's been suggestions that the admission price was too steep also.

Hodgo7

School Boy/Girl Captain
shounak said:
Agreed. He only got it because he was a newby. He didn't look convincing enough to take the man of the match..

Flintoff should definitely have got it. He was a bit expensive with the ball, but more then compensated with the bat. Played better then Watson imo..
Thats pretty silly mate. Flintoff did bugger all to AFFECT the outcome of the match. Thats what the Man of the Match is all about. Its not always about who has the best figures or who got the most runs...

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
That outfield really was horrific. Poor show.

Hopefully we'll get a much better attendance for the remaining games, 'cause Telstra Dome has a great atmosphere with a decent crowd in. Maybe people were of the opinion it'd be a walkover after our Ashes effort, although you'd have thought that people would have wanted to see the star-studded World XI. Off season it's been kinda hard to get great attendances for these games in past years though.

I'm a little surprised we in Melbourne were able to watch the whole game though - I'd assumed before the match that it was because it was a sellout. But perhaps the fact that it was live on TV locally had something to do with the poor attendance? There's been suggestions that the admission price was too steep also.
Doesnt help that the ICC schedule it for a working day

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
how Watson got MOTM over Vettori i will never know, Vetori got more wickets for less runs, scored more with the bat and dod not drop one of the easiest catches of all time.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesingly enough, Vettori's best ODI score is 83 off 85 balls against Australia a year or two back in Christchurch.
He seems to be one of the few players who must actually enjoy playing them!

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Prince EWS said:
Indeed, that was my point.
Yep Prince ,that i think goes without saying,they would have and still will expect Martin to score runs,Had the lost then he would have been in a bit of strife but with a win,it makes it a bit easier to pick him ,they will be thinking anything other than a duck is more helpful than his first outing,

I went last night and the atmosphere was definatly missing,i think it was because the ROW team are not a country team as such,and it is hard to boo and go against blokes that most cricket lovers have admired for so long, and in all reallity it was a no contest at any stage,they<ROW,never looked like threatening.
Did anyone know the cheapest tickets on the top were $49.90, 50 dollars for the cheapest seat whew, the seat i had was in the 2nd teir level and was magnificent and so it should have been at $125.00 dollars, a bloke who was near me from England with his 2 sons and wife had paid $400 dollars to watch the game, 125 per ad and 75 for each nipper and his son was 16 and he told them 14 so he got that for 75 cheaper,now in all honesty which average family can afford that kind of dosh,in pounds what would 400 dollars be about 250 pounds,would that be right ,our english freinds,
How is that for turning ppl away hahaha, on top of working day and school just going back,poor timing i feel,but the ground will be near chokers on friday and chokers on sunday ,they said there was 18 thousand last night but felt about 10 thousand, but the feild was yukkie looking but the pitch was helpful to everyone who put in and thats all you can ask for drop in pitch,BUT what a great stadium that is,sensational and would love tpo see it full,as atmosphere would be electric.

Jdz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well I do hope Martyn scores run the next game as he's one of my favorite batsmen but he really needs to score a good knock.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pratyush said:
For all the Tendulkar is past his best, look how the World XI performed without him ;)
I don't honestly think he would have fared any better. Lara has not played for almost the same time as Sachin and it showed up with his shot. Same would have happened with Sachin too. I will be pleasantly surprised and shocked if he scores more than 20 in his comeback innings, whenever it happens (in the challenger series or wherever)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
vic_orthdox said:
They had more of an excuse to drop him from the ODI side than the test side, and look at what they ended up doing. I don't think "finding an excuse" had anything to do with this. IT was just their stupidity.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:
For all the Tendulkar is past his best, look how the World XI performed without him ;)
I don't see how the World XI's performance says anything about how Tendulkar would have performed. You might have a point if it was India who batted poorly in Tendulkar's absence, but the World XI never had Tendulkar in the first place (in a playing sense, anyway) so there can be no question of them underperforming without him. It was just a case of several very good batsmen playing particularly poorly, there's not a lot more to be read into it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I see this series going the same way as the Afro Asian Cup. The African XI (which was basically RSA + 2 guys from Kenya and 1 guy from Zim) played better as a team in the first one and was a bit of a rude wake up call for Asia, who then recouped to thump Africa the next time and looked to be on the course of winning the third. I won't be surprised if similar stuff happens in this series.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
age_master said:
how Watson got MOTM over Vettori i will never know, Vetori got more wickets for less runs, scored more with the bat and dod not drop one of the easiest catches of all time.
Vettori did bowl well but got a couple of cheap wickets at the end when the slog was on.

The MOM was a hard choice for this game. No one really stood out. Sangakkara did look classy though.