• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

greg

International Debutant
Arrow said:
I suspected the world 11 would fail. In 1996 australia played the world and they collapsed miserably, like today only to be resurrected by a great Dean Jones century. They still lost though i think.

Watching the world 11 bat today was like pulling teeth. Disgraceful effort.
It's hardly surprising they couldn't raise themselves. They were promised a fantastic atmosphere in a packed stadium. They got a library atmosphere, with an outfield that looked better suited for rugby.

Blaze

Banned
greg said:
It's hardly surprising they couldn't raise themselves. They were promised a fantastic atmosphere in a packed stadium. They got a library atmosphere, with an outfield that looked better suited for rugby.

Yeah. I think you saw in the World XII batsman that they aren't really motivated for this. They must look at the guys to come and think

'Oh well someone else will do it if I get out'

They aren't representing their country or anything so lack the passion to actually perform to their best.

Maybe on Friday we will see them pull finger in an attempt to save face.

Oh and as much as Vettori is my hero, I knew he would never get MOTM with AUS winning. (even though he was the standout player from either side) It just doesn't seem to work like that, which is fair enough.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
SirBloody Idiot said:
It has been documented why there was a bad crowd.

It should have started Sunday last week, one dayers in Melbourne holidays, followed by the Super Test in the Sydney Holidays.

They were a week to strong.
I was going to go to the Sydney Test for 3 days but they are having it when school is on, or i have sport and i have to "study" for some exams. Shame :(

Blaze

Banned
GoT_SpIn said:
I was going to go to the Sydney Test for 3 days but they are having it when school is on, or i have sport and i have to "study" for some exams. Shame :(

tbh if the super test was in Wellington I wouldn't let school get in the way of seeing some of the greatest cricketers of all time play against each other.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
For me the display of this and many earlier World XI's should serve as an eye opener for the Indian Cricket Board and our besotted millions that "stars" dont make a successful "team".

They will still come with an exceptional performance all round and beat all comers, as do India once every 13th blue moon or so :sleep:

PS. Please dont attack exaggeration. It is only there to make a point :)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
tbh if the super test was in Wellington I wouldn't let school get in the way of seeing some of the greatest cricketers of all time play against each other.
I would prefer not to have detention all saturday and possibly worse consequences :P

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
Bracken hopefully played well enough to earn a spot in the team for the next little while, with an average of under 20 going into this match after 17 games, I don't see why he isn't a regular.
good point but the reason why he wasn't a regular despite of that is because blokes like Lee, pigeon, Dizzy & Kapser were bowling well enough to keep him out of the side, but now he's got his chance i reckon he'll be a very good ODI bowler for sure.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The Chappell/Hadlee trophy might a decent series this year with Vettori & Bond in the NZ team.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
The Chappell/Hadlee trophy might a decent series this year with Vettori & Bond in the NZ team.
oh yea thats for sure, with Bond bound to cause problems at the start & Vettori causing problems in the middle overs has he done so much in ODI vs AUS it will be interesting so see how Australia bats, but i would back Aus to hold them off.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ really need to find another quick bowler to go with Bond. It could be Ian Butler, but he's still injured and Richard Sherlock is only just coming back from injury as well.

NZ's batting will need to improve from the Zimbabwe tri-series too..it was a little shaky at times.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Why was Watson man of the man of the match? 3 for 40 odd and 8 runs

Vettori 4 for 30ish and 15 runs?

Shounak

Banned
Retox said:
Why was Watson man of the man of the match? 3 for 40 odd and 8 runs

Vettori 4 for 30ish and 15 runs?
Agreed. He only got it because he was a newby. He didn't look convincing enough to take the man of the match..

Flintoff should definitely have got it. He was a bit expensive with the ball, but more then compensated with the bat. Played better then Watson imo..

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
shounak said:
Agreed. He only got it because he was a newby. He didn't look convincing enough to take the man of the match..

Flintoff should definitely have got it. He was a bit expensive with the ball, but more then compensated with the bat. Played better then Watson imo..
Flintoff had a below average game. He was solid with the bat and got a start but didn't go on with it, and was poor with the ball. No reason to give him man of the match.

I wrote the report for CW and Vettori was my motm, if it hadn't been him it would have been McGrath, with Watson third.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Flintoff had a below average game. He was solid with the bat and got a start but didn't go on with it, and was poor with the ball. No reason to give him man of the match.

I wrote the report for CW and Vettori was my motm, if it hadn't been him it would have been McGrath, with Watson third.
I ended up making it to the game Faaip, We are going to the friday and sunday game but when we got into melbourne and i found the ground was so close to the crown,i managed to get over.
Fully agree with you from what i saw , Aussies were running away with the game,untill Murili and then Vittori were brought on,i dont think Murili,s bowling should be understated,his fielding is a worry in any side but this super sub should play right into his hands,
Faaip do you reckon that Pollock left it a bit late to bring on the spinners? I just thought he let the Aussies escape a bit to long. I was really impressed with Brackens,and Watsons imputs they and Symonds had what has been missing in the feild,kind of spark that sets the others going. Symonds,gee that bloke is Fantastic,i was thinking last night he has to be the best ODI in the world in last year since his W/Cup game against Pakistan he has not looked back. He is 6 foot four and built like the proverbialS....House but his batting is so intimidating to the bowlers,he is set to explode in one of these games.
The one thing i didnt like and those around me ,was the 3rd umpire rulling a couple of times that the players knew wasnt out and were actually in there feilding positions,before the result come back that they were not out. That needs to be sorted,cause if the players know its not out maybe they shouldnt be appealing,i know they will apppeal but something must be sorted there as i think the ROW teams bowling went way over time. Cant wait now to see if we can follow it up,Pretty impressed with the telstra ground ,i know its a fotty ground but if they had more time to make the surface a bit greener it is fantastic for viewing ,so close to the play i felt,And the roof was sensational,what an impressive place it is. Do they only normaly play footy there?or does the Vics have the odd game there?
Anyways thats my night haha,glad i made it.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its a real shame for the world XI that Bond's international come back was made after the squad was named .....otherwise he would have been a dead cert IMO. He's not a hot head like Aktar. He my not be quite as quick but IMO a much more intelligent and better bowler than Aktar...Not to mention he has the best oneday bowling average and strike rate in the history of oneday cricket.