• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
vic_orthdox said:
We Melbournians are simple people. We like our beer cold, our horse racing in October/November, our cricket in Dec - Feb, and our AFL in any other spare space.

I think the prices were a bit exorbitant (from memory) and put a few people off. I thought the ground got shown up as a cricket venue too, the outfield was rather ordinary - both aesthetically, and safety wise. I was wincing every time someone stuck their knee into the ground to dive.
Yeah, the ground was terrible. I don't think Telstra Dome really works as a cricket venue...it has no character, and just doesn't feel 'right'.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Dasa said:
Yeah, the ground was terrible. I don't think Telstra Dome really works as a cricket venue...it has no character, and just doesn't feel 'right'.
I had a mate message me saying it was a fantastic place viewing wise, and I went last year when it was a slightly bigger crowd to watch the NZ game. I think if it were packed, it'd be fantastic, atmosphere-wise, but (as with the AFL football) when there aren't many there, it lacks the atmosphere of the MCG, even when it's empty.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
vic_orthdox said:
I had a mate message me saying it was a fantastic place viewing wise, and I went last year when it was a slightly bigger crowd to watch the NZ game. I think if it were packed, it'd be fantastic, atmosphere-wise, but (as with the AFL football) when there aren't many there, it lacks the atmosphere of the MCG, even when it's empty.
Actually, that is true... I was there for the NZ ODI last year, and it was a lot better atmosphere-wise. It is a great viewing ground as well. I'm hoping for a better crowd on Friday though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I was at the match tonight and the atmosphere was very disappointing. The scheduling for this series has been absolutely garbage. Why have the 3rd match, which could possibly be a dead rubber for all we know, go on a Sunday whereas the first game which should have the most hype on a Wednesday? There was just over 18 000 people there.

On top of that, prices were ridiculously high which turned many off, and the Telstra Dome surface right now just ain't good for cricket. I didn't mind the pitch, but the outfield was way too slow for ODI cricket. So many good shots were almost stopping dead near the boundary.

It was great to see these stars play again (Was at Junction Oval for the match against Victoria on Sunday) but boy was the batting absolutely shocking. When Lara came out to bat I said "Surely he won't go out to Bracken (with all due respect to Bracken, ITS LARA :-p) and next ball he hits straight to a fielder.

How Sehwag, Kallis, Lara, Dravid, Pietersen, Afridi and Pollock can all fail in one match is beyond me. It really is.

Never the less, absolutely terrific effort from Australia. They really are a champion team without a doubt.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
burkey_1988 said:
Me too, at least for the night session. I'm looking forward to the Supertest here in Sydney. Unfortunately, I can't go on the Friday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday because of school and the Saturday because of cricket :(
I've got tickets for Saturday, even though I've got school cricket that day. Supertest > school cricket

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
honestbharani said:
I will honestly be disappointed if they don't drop Sehwag for Gayle. I don't think Sehwag will guarantee more runs than Gayle and at least Gayle will guarantee a better bowling option. although I do feel that Sehwag is underrated and underutilized as a bowler.
Yes I agree. I tried explaining this to my mate who is also an Indian fan, but he wouldn't accept it and said Gayle would be better as a super-sub. I think he should be opening in place of Sehwag, who at the moment is merely a dangerous ODI player without being a really good one. He showed potential throughout 2002 and 2003 but he's fading, whilst his test career continues to flourish.

andyc

I stick by what others have said in saying Afridi should open, he's just wasted coming in at number 8 where, like in today's match, he can't really afford to just hit out.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
andyc said:
I've got tickets for Saturday, even though I've got school cricket that day. Supertest > school cricket
No loyalty at all. My school cricket team means the world to me and we all agreed to play and not go to the Supertest. Also, the fact that the MIC cricket at school threatened to not allow us to play the season if we skipped the match :p.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
How anyone could argue Giles is the equal of Vettori I'll never know.
Too frickin' right. I remember that thread when people were arguing Giles was actually better, some of the biggest garbage I've ever heard.

Vetorri was outstanding today, and was clearly robbed of MOTM.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How Sehwag, Kallis, Lara, Dravid, Pietersen, Afridi and Pollock can all fail in one match is beyond me. It really is.
Add in Clarke and Martyn to that, and it really starts to look like a fabrication...

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
Too frickin' right. I remember that thread when people were arguing Giles was actually better, some of the biggest garbage I've ever heard.

Vetorri was outstanding today, and was clearly robbed of MOTM.
I don't believe he was robbed of man of the match.

Watson did a great job with the ball. Had a dropped catch, took the important wickets of Sangakkara, Pietersen and Flintoff and run out a player. Was on the winning side and only went for ten more against a vastly superior batting lineup than Vettori did.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
SupaFreak2005 said:
World XI sucked big time!
I was shocked at the poor crowd turn out.
Hope they show more fight in the other games.
It has been documented why there was a bad crowd.

It should have started Sunday last week, one dayers in Melbourne holidays, followed by the Super Test in the Sydney Holidays.

They were a week to strong.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jono said:

Never the less, absolutely terrific effort from Australia. They really are a champion team without a doubt.
I guess today's game goes some way to proving the old adage that a champion team will usually beat a team of champions. The World XI (or should that be XII?) played like what they really are: a scratch team. As much as I love him, Freddie was v average with the ball & seemed largely disinterested. TBF if the Aussies had caught half-fairly it could've been even more of a massacre than it was.

The Australians certainly looked the more motivated team. Fair play to them for that, part of what goes to make a great team is how they respond in adversity.

The World XI(I) need to raise their game by a fair bit on Friday.

Shounak

Banned
SupaFreak2005 said:
World XI sucked big time!
I was shocked at the poor crowd turn out.
Hope they show more fight in the other games.
It was the middle of the week.. That explains the poor crowd turnout.. I doubt the next two matches will be as sparsely populated..

Scaly piscine

BoyBrumby said:
The Australians certainly looked the more motivated team. Fair play to them for that, part of what goes to make a great team is how they respond in adversity.
Except they're a month or two late responding.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
I suspected the world 11 would fail. In 1996 australia played the world and they collapsed miserably, like today only to be resurrected by a great Dean Jones century. They still lost though i think.

Watching the world 11 bat today was like pulling teeth. Disgraceful effort.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
I will honestly be disappointed if they don't drop Sehwag for Gayle. I don't think Sehwag will guarantee more runs than Gayle and at least Gayle will guarantee a better bowling option. although I do feel that Sehwag is underrated and underutilized as a bowler.
good point but i reckon the selectors will give the World XI bats who failed a chance to redeem themselves...