• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
250 :D , n gosh Freddie hasn't bowled this poorly in a ODI in a long time.

Well after the start Australia got they would have hoped for 300 but 255 is a fair total for them to win Lee & McGrath have to reduce R.O.W to 4 downn in the 1st 15 overs & everyone else has to bowl well. I'm off to school hopefully when i check the net this mid-day i'll have case for a smile.

Last edited:

Entrael

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'll never forget channel 9 cutting to the news just when MCGRATH was about to make his 50..

I like most people watchde his whole innings, he hit his first 6 in that innings and was in the 40's and then c9 switched to the news..

I couldn't believe it, i mean it was his first international 50!

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Demolition Man said:
Exactly, it increases the importance of luck which is not what people want to see.
I love to watch pigeon bat and some say well if you want to see that watch test cricket, well I tell anyone that thinks there should be a super-sub should get a tape of the 1996 bevan miracle at the SCG where mcgrath held his nerve with the maestro finisher bevan to win the unwinnable match.

If I wanted to watch baseball i would watch baseball. Next they will be having pinch-runners etc Ajuna fatatunga would love that, LOL
Arjuna would have loved it 'then'...now Inzy would have lol

cameeel

International Captain
Blaze said:
He is underrated by some. Especially those who put him on equal standing with Giles
Oh no! I wasnt putting him on equal standing with Giles, Mark Taylors spinners would have rivalled Giles' best efforts :p

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Martyn's duck is hardly going to improve his re-selection chances.
Also, if you ask me, Australia were a bit stupid in putting White as their sub, because he's been batting pretty well.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Vettori pretty much justified his selection. His selection took alot of bagging but he has the best economy rate out of all the world XI bowlers against Australia and he's got a pretty good average too.

I believed that with good bowlers around him, he would perform and he has.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looks like I was wrong about Katich not being too good at opening, he played a really good innings (what I saw of it, that was).

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Vettori is brilliant when hes playing as an attacking spinner, but he never gets to do that with NZ because he's always having to bowl defensively.

Knopfler

School Boy/Girl Captain
andyc said:
Martyn's duck is hardly going to improve his re-selection chances.
Also, if you ask me, Australia were a bit stupid in putting White as their sub, because he's been batting pretty well.
Only because Australia batted first. Who do you propose would be a better sub? Bracken? That would be fine but its taking a gamble because although it is great if Australia bat first, if Australia bowl first they need to use him straight away.

Pick a bowler as the sub: gambling on the hope you bat first
Pick a batsman: gambling on the hope you field first
Pick an all-rounder: each way bet.

Like DM and I have been saying, the super-sub just brings more luck into the game.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
That score could have been better, could have been worse too!

A couple of quick wickets and Australia are in with a chance!

shaka

International Regular
All hail Vettori. Tough for a spinner to bowl in last 10 overs, not usually done, the move paid dividend for the World XI as he ended up with 4/33 in his 10 overs. Awesome effort, shows his continuing growth as a major force in international cricket.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
shaka said:
All hail Vettori. Tough for a spinner to bowl in last 10 overs, not usually done, the move paid dividend for the World XI as he ended up with 4/33 in his 10 overs. Awesome effort, shows his continuing growth as a major force in international cricket.
Whats more he bowled at the death.....I personally felt at the time that Pollock could have brought him on earlier...but hey ya can't argue with the results.

I hope those Vettori Critics out there that write him off simply because of his average realised he is really developing into a very good bowler, IMO he should play ahead of Kumble in the test.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Great stuff from Vettori (& Murali too, but that's kinda expected), but Fred was bitterly disappointing. Looked to be bowling well within himself.

Have a suspicion Oz will be a spinner or two light. What's White like? I've never seen him bowl.

I think McGrath will be v economical 'cos (aside from him being a class act) the World XI are gonna be going after Lee & Bracken big style.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Great bowling by Dan Vettori !!

Was a bit perplexed by Pollocks decision in continuing Flintoff especially when he was getting tonked !! Also his failure to use Sehwag a good economical spinner in ODI's or his failure to bowl Kallis more !!

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Meh, should've opened with Afridi, no point leaving him at no. 8 or something. Generally the problem with opening with Afridi is that he gets out quickly and could lead to a collapse; the problem with batting him at 8 is that he will only bat if there is a collapse, and he won't be much use in that situation anyway. It's not as though the World XI middle order is particularly fragile...