• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
tooextracool said:
i rate plenty of players in the aussie side. i do not however overrate them. i think of langer and ponting as very fine batsmen. i do not however put them down as all time greats. there are only really 5 players-ponting,hayden,langer,tait and watson. who i dont rate or dont rate as highly as most people do, and i have my reasons for that
Who in their right mind believes Langer is an all-time great?

You start 'overrating' players when they receive a bit of praise, because you think that praise results in people believing they are the next Viv or something. He's a fine batsman and a gutsy opener, one of the best in the world in that position at the moment. Not many people are claiming he's more than that.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
i rate plenty of players in the aussie side. i do not however overrate them. i think of langer and ponting as very fine batsmen. i do not however put them down as all time greats. there are only really 5 players-ponting,hayden,langer,tait and watson. who i dont rate or dont rate as highly as most people do, and i have my reasons for that
Lol! Langer and Ponting all time greats. They are nowhere near the class of Hayden...

Dydl

International Debutant
Hopefully the weather'll be like it is today in Sydney (nice, bright, blue and sunny) during the SuperTest. I've got tickets for Sunday... :)

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:

You start 'overrating' players when they receive a bit of praise, because you think that praise results in people believing they are the next Viv or something. He's a fine batsman and a gutsy opener, one of the best in the world in that position at the moment. Not many people are claiming he's more than that.
i dont believe that hes the best opener in the world at the moment. i think sehwag is a much better player than he is. point though is that langer is more inconsistent than people then to believe and its something that he often gets away with because he scores a big 100 in one of the tests in the series.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
Lol! Langer and Ponting all time greats. They are nowhere near the class of Hayden...
im not sure whether you're being sarcastic, or you actually believe that ponting and langer are great players.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Jono said:

Me ,me ,me Jono, i rate him as an all time great.
I rate him the greatest the world has ever seen. and then some,

BUT and big but apart from my biased towards that Langer guy!!! My all time gretaest and i love still watching this bloke on dvd and video is the man you mentioned!!! the master balster himself.That guy jono was a one man recking machine,i have never seen someone so constantly tear attacks and intimidate the batsman as Sir Vivian Richards,The one and only in my view.What a champ that guy was,Brilliant...:cheers:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
jlo33692 said:
Me ,me ,me Jono, i rate him as an all time great.
I rate him the greatest the world has ever seen. and then some,

BUT and big but apart from my biased towards that Langer guy!!! My all time gretaest and i love still watching this bloke on dvd and video is the man you mentioned!!! the master balster himself.That guy jono was a one man recking machine,i have never seen someone so constantly tear attacks and intimidate the batsman as Sir Vivian Richards,The one and only in my view.What a champ that guy was,Brilliant...:cheers:
I g2 say he was the best of the cricketers that I have interacted with on the boundary. :p He was really funny out there, right up there with Warney.

andyc

honestbharani said:
I g2 say he was the best of the cricketers that I have interacted with on the boundary. :p He was really funny out there, right up there with Warney.
Viv Richards? From the speech he made at the Shanghai Sixes last year he struck as a bit of a b******.

Anyway, exciting to see Watson and MacGill in for this test, should be a great one. Good to see Shoaib is out too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
andyc said:
Viv Richards? From the speech he made at the Shanghai Sixes last year he struck as a bit of a b******.

Anyway, exciting to see Watson and MacGill in for this test, should be a great one. Good to see Shoaib is out too.
rotf, I meant Langer.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
honestbharani said:
rotf, I meant Langer.
Phew i thought you meant Langer as well,then i thought i must av read it wrong but you confirmed it ,well done Honestbhirani, good choice m8 haha,
Andy ,what did you mean buy a speech Viv made?Did he say something offensive or something?
I dont really know him as a speaker although he did do some tours with botham and a few others here doing the pub curciut,i meant as a cricketer to watch ,i just thought him fantastic and raw power on such consistency,he is like Gilchrist in fast motion and he would stand and stare out any batsman willing to bowl a bouncer (pre helmet days as well) and a lot of occasions he would threaten the batsman and offer them after the game,and to make sure he wasnt joking he would go to the dressing room to see if the bowler or the one that mouthed of wanted to settle the score outside,i dont think anyone took the challenge but that is a fact he done it to the aussies on a few occasions,Craig McDermott was one guy that was offered out from the dressing room,that dont make him tough but a character with passion like that and the batting to back it up is priceless,hail sir VIVIAN

lol

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
yes hes marginally quicker right now, which bears testiment to the fitness hes maintained over the years. but the major improvements came in the summer of 2004 where his seam and wrist position had improved considerably, and then again in the summer of 2005 where he managed to get the ball to reverse.

My comment was more aimed at the person saying that Watson's bowling at 140-145 and that's something a bowler can't develop.

andyc

jlo33692 said:
Andy ,what did you mean buy a speech Viv made?Did he say something offensive or something?
Well at one stage he was talking about Geoffrey Boycott, about how he was charged with beating his wife ('that woman was black and blue,' according to Viv [right then I knew this was going to be bad]). Then he said that if he were defending Boycott, he would simply show the court a video of Boycott batting which would prove he wasn't aggressive at all.

All the same, I was stoked when he asked to borrow my pads when going in for a bat!

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
The selectors must be wishing they never selected boucher as the wicket keeper now since Sanga has performed well...Boucher must be under alot of pressure now....

shaka

International Regular
I liked MAcGill's comment at the press conference with all da 4 spinners, " I am fresh, but its not my fault". Classic dig at Aussie cricket.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
shaka said:
I liked MAcGill's comment at the press conference with all da 4 spinners, " I am fresh, but its not my fault". Classic dig at Aussie cricket.
Heh. The poor bugger still has a sense of humour. :D