• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
However what is important is Kumble, despite his poor series in his first tour in Australia (which he says was because of lack of totals by batsmen and so he couldnt put the pressure he needed on batsmen - a very legitimate reason) Kumble came out triumphs the last time around - 24 wickets in 3 tests.

Murali is an attacking bowler. Kumble is an attacking leggie too but who is very persistent too. The two would have formed a potent combination.
but even though Kumble took 24 in 3 test Vettori has bowled equally has well in his 2 series over here & even though i agree that Kumble & Murali would have formed a potent combination, Vettori has been excellent vs Australia in test in his own way so we can say it debatable to an extent who could have been chosen, honestly i wouldn't have cared who was chosen. So in all i dont think it a clear cut situation where Kumble should have been picked over Vettori or otherwise.

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
man watson never took 12 wickets in the superseris he took 8 3 in the first game 1 in the second and 4 in the 3rd that is 8 wickets and if you want to throw in his two brialliant runouts he effected 10 wickets. also he scored 74 runs and was dismissed only once all said and done he has been a bitter dissapointment for a while now in odi cricket. i think hes come of age after that double ton for hampshire. when he first played for tasmania watson said he wanted to be like jaques kallis as an allrounder, because at that stage jaques was the man. I think he could average 40 plus with the bat at test level and below 35 with the ball maybe even better if mcgrath sits him down and give him a few tips on the finer arts of seam movement and position.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Are you sure woody he only took the 8 wickets?if so then the runouts are worth double

:drunk:
I didnt read that he took 12 i just heard he took 12 on radio but maybe they said he had a hand in 12 ie maybe took a cpl catches.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
honestbharani
International Debutant

Can someone tell me why a season in which Lara has scored 4 test hundreds from five matches is called "decent"? I wonder what a "good" season would then be.Excellent ponit there bharani.

:happy:

I guess The Don had a few Decent knocks as well.
In all seriousness though i think it is a way of complimenting these days by saying he is a decent player,sort of understating,to say they are great or fantastic.
Like when Hayden broke the world record ,richie Benaud said ,A PRETTY DECENT KNOCK THAT BY HAYDEN, LOL,i will miss him when he goes , i wonder who will be taking his place? They are saying the English Guy,i cant remember his name but he is a pretty smooth talking guy. But i dont think they will have an Englishman in front line for aussie cricket ,although i must say i dont mind him at all,he is a fair comments man and it is good to not always have someone who is pro oz all the time like Billy Lawrie,but i also love bill but very very much of the oz cant do nothing wrong mould isnt he hahaha,he must annoy the hell out of the ppl from other countries like botham and nassar hussien does for us Aussies hahaha :punk:

Last edited:

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
jlo33692 said:
Are you sure woody he only took the 8 wickets?if so then the runouts are worth double

:drunk:
I didnt read that he took 12 i just heard he took 12 on radio but maybe they said he had a hand in 12 ie maybe took a cpl catches.

hey buddy i am positive i live in sydney and i caught a 12 hour coach to melbourne to watch all 3 games. here are his figures for you
game 1:8(15) and 3/43(10) he also ranout Shaun Pollock with a direct hit from the boundary
game 2:Did Not Bat and 1/56(10) he took one catch
game 3:66 not out and 4/39(7.5) and he ranout virinder shewag in his follow through

so as you can see that equates to 8 wickets 17.25 and an economy rate of 5 rpo
74 runs dismissed once at an average of 74 strike rate of 96
2 great runouts and a catch
that equated to a pretty good seris

whoever in this thread says he took 12 is smoking crack or live in chittagong

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
jlo33692 said:
Excellent ponit there bharani.
I guess The Don had a few Decent knocks as well.
In all seriousness though i think it is a way of complimenting these days by saying he is a decent player,sort of understating,to say they are great or fantastic.
Like when Hayden broke the world record ,richie Benaud said ,A PRETTY DECENT KNOCK THAT BY HAYDEN, LOL,i will miss him when he goes , i wonder who will be taking his place? They are saying the English Guy,i cant remember his name but he is a pretty smooth talking guy. But i dont think they will have an Englishman in front line for aussie cricket ,although i must say i dont mind him at all,he is a fair comments man and it is good to not always have someone who is pro oz all the time like Billy Lawrie,but i also love bill but very very much of the oz cant do nothing wrong mould isnt he hahaha,he must annoy the hell out of the ppl from other countries like botham and nassar hussien does for us Aussies hahaha :punk:
His name is Mark Nicholas and he has forced me to listen to radio commentary instead of the television. Which is much better. There's only one tool on the radio in Roebuck, compared to Nicholas/Greig/Lawry/Taylor and most of all Chappelli. And of course ABC have the greatest of them all (no disrespect to Richie) O'Keefe.

Mister Wright

Woody_cloudofsm said:
hey buddy i am positive i live in sydney and i caught a 12 hour coach to melbourne to watch all 3 games. here are his figures for you
game 1:8(15) and 3/43(10) he also ranout Shaun Pollock with a direct hit from the boundary
game 2:Did Not Bat and 1/56(10) he took one catch
game 3:66 not out and 4/39(7.5) and he ranout virinder shewag in his follow through

so as you can see that equates to 8 wickets 17.25 and an economy rate of 5 rpo
74 runs dismissed once at an average of 74 strike rate of 96
2 great runouts and a catch
that equated to a pretty good seris

whoever in this thread says he took 12 is smoking crack or live in chittagong
Considering he got 2 man of the match awards, I was surprised that Gilchrist got player of the series over him.

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
ill put any money on simon odonnel taking over from richie as the host of channel 9's cricket they have been grooming him for a while he already hosts the cricket show in the lunch break of test matches. Pray it dun rain tommorow i got tickets to day 1.

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mister Wright said:
Considering he got 2 man of the match awards, I was surprised that Gilchrist got player of the series over him.
yeah i knwo he was a bit hard done buy but gilchrist got australia of to a hectic start in every game and set the tone for each match. ie. we lost teh ashes i was woefully out of form but this is oneday cricket im a maniac im number one in teh world im gonna throw everything at u. and damn was he good. so touch for shane watson but good on gilchrist. Also cameron white when the team is announced he shouldntt have a ball or a bat next to his name just a hand. as in feilding is the only thing he can be successful at in international cricket. Just play macgill in onedayers whats wrong with aussie selectors he is the most succesful bowler in the history of list a domestic cricket in australia.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Agree with OKEEFE mister . I watch the foxtel coverage ,when on, so really only hear nicholas at award ceremony and things like that. Have you heard they are grooming him for Richies Job?
as i said i find him pretty clear and easy to listen to or easy to understand but i dont think he will take the top job. By the way m8 have you saw the foxtel coverage with mark waugh and Brendan Jullian?

I think BJ is going to go to higher places than the foxtel as he is one of my favorites if not my favorite. Love ABC radio,esp jim maxwell and the little indian guy that often is on for the indian series,Habay or something? Also used to hate deano but now find him really good,says what he feels and to hell with who he offends hahahaa

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
TEC, you've officially got no idea if you think that Irani is, was or ever will be a better bowler that Watson.

He was, without doubt, one of the worst players ever to have represented a major cricketing nation.
and there is so much evidence that watson is a much better bowler than ronnie irani isnt it? especially considering that ronnie irani has a better bowling record than watson in almost all forms of the games 8-)
as i said earlier, irani had far more variety than watson even if he lacked the pace. and if irani was one of the worst players ever to have represented a major cricketing nation(and please hauritz beats everyone by a long shot), it would be the same with watson were he picked solely for his bowling abilities.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Also, I don't think he was that quick back then was he?

Yet now he is...
yes hes marginally quicker right now, which bears testiment to the fitness hes maintained over the years. but the major improvements came in the summer of 2004 where his seam and wrist position had improved considerably, and then again in the summer of 2005 where he managed to get the ball to reverse.

tooextracool

International Coach
tassietiger said:
It's just too tempting to resist, I have to say it.

To all of the people (English supporters in particular) that reckon Australia have won the one dayers so far because World XI have been playing badly, I'd like to point you to the Ashes threads, where there was the recurring quote:

"Australia are only playing badly because England have made them."
and im sure the likes of shane watson have made the World XI play like a bunch of jokers.

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
ronnie irani probably picked up a few wickets on hectic green tops in uk which enables ian bell to hold down a first class average of 30 with the ball. Irani is a f---t hes got nuttin and tooextracool u dunno wasusp

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:
That's just rubbish TEC. Irani a better bowler than Watson? I don't know if you said that for 'shock value' or because you actually believe that, but either way its a stupid comment.
why?
it seems like too many people on here rate watson's bowling ability without having any apparent reason. believe it or not there is no evidence that watson is anything other than rubbish right now with the ball, and a few wickets off ordinary balls against an out of sorts and unconcerned world XI side does not change anything.

tooextracool

International Coach
Woody_cloudofsm said:
ronnie irani probably picked up a few wickets on hectic green tops in uk which enables ian bell to hold down a first class average of 30 with the ball. Irani is a f---t hes got nuttin and tooextracool u dunno wasusp
yes the same green tops on which watson averages 44 on......

tooextracool

International Coach
jlo33692 said:
I have looked TEC and i cant find where you have given Watson any credit for his effort but im sure you have it somewhere.
You may have credited Bevan,Love,hogg, but they dont play no more or didnt play in the series.It is all the others that you dont seem to credit that is why i thought you dont like the aussies much,so just for the record could you give me your view on the others in the ODI and test team,as from what i have read you said they are mostly over rated but must be doing something right to remain the best in ODI. You do make some valid points TEC and i thank you for your honesty cant say i agree with your views but you stay consistent in your views and obviously have a great passion for the game M8.
i rate plenty of players in the aussie side. i do not however overrate them. i think of langer and ponting as very fine batsmen. i do not however put them down as all time greats. there are only really 5 players-ponting,hayden,langer,tait and watson. who i dont rate or dont rate as highly as most people do, and i have my reasons for that

Mister Wright

jlo33692 said:
Agree with OKEEFE mister . I watch the foxtel coverage ,when on, so really only hear nicholas at award ceremony and things like that. Have you heard they are grooming him for Richies Job?
as i said i find him pretty clear and easy to listen to or easy to understand but i dont think he will take the top job. By the way m8 have you saw the foxtel coverage with mark waugh and Brendan Jullian?

I think BJ is going to go to higher places than the foxtel as he is one of my favorites if not my favorite. Love ABC radio,esp jim maxwell and the little indian guy that often is on for the indian series,Habay or something? Also used to hate deano but now find him really good,says what he feels and to hell with who he offends hahahaa
Yeah I find BJ a very good commentator. He has a very good understanding of the game and communicates well with AB and Junior whenever they are on the Foxtel pannel. I think he has commentated for nine during Austrlia 'A' matches and I must say that line up (Healy/Julian/Brayshaw) is more interesting and sometimes more knowledgable than the main guys. I'm surprised he is aloud to work for Foxtel considering he would have a contract with channel 9 with the Getaway program. Perhaps if one of the main group retires he might get a gig with 9.