• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
watson has the potential of becoming something with the bat, with the ball his performances to date do not show anything about him being capable of bowling.

umm have you seen ronnie irani bowl? bowling is not all about pace, and ronnie irani was far more accurate and could even swing the ball occasionally, something that watson is as yet incapable off. ronnie irani may have been a crap bowler, but then again so is watson.

he might develop, but were he playing as a bowler or bowling all rounder he would struggle to play domestic cricket let alone international cricket until he shows improvements.
Firstly, Watson is only 24 and has suffered a multitude of serious injuries. No-one is saying that he's a world-beater YET but he has masses of potential with the ball. Tall, 140 ks plus, good action, etc. He also appears to be improving rapidly, apparently has a tremedous work ethic and deserved his success vs the World X1

Secondly, Ronnie Irani is a decent club cricketer at best. To compare him to Watson at any stage of their respective careers is nonsensical. Watson is close to playing for Aus as a batsman alone, is a top fieldsman and CAN bowl. Irani is a round-arm, medium pacer (and that's being generous), has a horrible batting technique and is slow in the field. His selection in the England X1 was simply a reflection of the dearth of talent available at that time.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
KaZoH0lic said:
Freddie was a very good player before the Ashes but after it I think more people tend to overexaggerate when comparing him to other players. Freddie is good, but to say Watson can't and won't be better than him is just as they say "player hating". Watson has it all and in my own opinion will be a better player. TEC obviously has some sort of envy towards him, but eh... :D
As I said repeatedly before the Ashes, Freddie is one of the best half dozen pacers in the world and he proved it in the Ashes series.

However, some people's assessment of his abilities since that time are over the top.

He's the world's best all-rounder at present but he's not the second coming for !@#@$'s sake.

Batting - spectacular but inconsistent (and with a dodgy technique).

Fielding - good without being great

Bowling - generally excellent

People's elevating him to a god-like status is mightily premature.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
reading the arguments on Watson bowling here what TEC is saying is true it has really changed from what when he bowled over here the R.O.W batsmen played poor shots and made his figures look nice, but the performances now would give him confidence and i he will definately develop,

His bowling now is how Flintoff used to bowl before 2004, back of lenght & generally accurate. In the test side he could become a could stock bowler & allow MaCgill to play while he continues to develop his batting in the longer form of the game.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
social said:
Coaches are the most overrated contributors to a team's success.

To quote an Aussie rugby league coach, "you cant have a decent stud without first having decent cattle."
Jason,to quote an aussie footy coach.
Bad players are like eggs,you can fry em,you can boil em,you can scrammble em,but at the end of the day they are still Eggs,hehehehe
Also if you aint got the socks,well you cant pull them up hehehe :cheers:

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
aussie said:
reading the arguments on Watson bowling here what TEC is saying is true it has really changed from what when he bowled over here the R.O.W batsmen played poor shots and made his figures look nice, but the performances now would give him confidence and i he will definately develop,

His bowling now is how Flintoff used to bowl before 2004, back of lenght & generally accurate. In the test side he could become a could stock bowler & allow MaCgill to play while he continues to develop his batting in the longer form of the game.
Yeah that may be true to an extent Aussie but if you ask geln McGrath or warney hjow many test wickets they have they will not say ,i got 340 good wickets and 150 that were from batsmans bad shots,so the fact is that Wato took the wickets were others didnt,lucky or made his own luck,as you know m8 this is what make players into top liners the ability to make things happen and Watson definatly has that X factor IMO,,i remember Botham and for years i thought how does this bloke keep getting wickets he seems to get all the luck with poor shot selection,but now i know he used to bowl to a plan and was very clever and worked batsman out forcing poor shots,,,Hope Wato can do it though as we need an allrounder to be the worlds best,oops sorry we are already there ,well an allrounder will help keep us there then hahahaha

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Secondly, Ronnie Irani is a decent club cricketer at best.
That's true. the only reason ronnie irani got anywhere near English team was because he was pals with Hussain.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
aussie ,are you an expat m8 living over there or just a supporter?

Not trying to be nosey just curious,if you dont want to tell me then tell me to get the ,,,, hahaha

tooextracool

International Coach
jlo33692 said:
TEC what is it you are actually trying to say.?.
im trying to say that as a bowler right now watson is rubbish.
but as ive said before, even the most rubbish bowlers have miraculously turned into something special. his batting in the last game however suggests that he deserves a place in the ODI side.

tooextracool

International Coach
KaZoH0lic said:
Freddie is good, but to say Watson can't and won't be better than him is just as they say "player hating". Watson has it all and in my own opinion will be a better player. TEC obviously has some sort of envy towards him, but eh... :D
because ive of course said that watson 'cant and wont be better than flintoff'?
however to say that watson can and will be as good as flintoff is more player worship, which plenty of people seem in these forums seem to be doing.

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
Firstly, Watson is only 24 and has suffered a multitude of serious injuries. No-one is saying that he's a world-beater YET but he has masses of potential with the ball. Tall, 140 ks plus, good action, etc. He also appears to be improving rapidly, apparently has a tremedous work ethic and deserved his success vs the World X1
i havent see too much evidence of this potential. hes largely been innaccurate, hes rarely had any answers to players taking it to him, and on the whole he has 0 variety in his bowling.

social said:
Secondly, Ronnie Irani is a decent club cricketer at best. To compare him to Watson at any stage of their respective careers is nonsensical. Watson is close to playing for Aus as a batsman alone, is a top fieldsman and CAN bowl. Irani is a round-arm, medium pacer (and that's being generous), has a horrible batting technique and is slow in the field. His selection in the England X1 was simply a reflection of the dearth of talent available at that time.
what point of watson is a 'rubbish bowler' do you not understand?
i never compared their batting abilities, but if irani was a very very poor bowler, then can you imagine how bad watson is given that hes actually worse?

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
TEC did Watson hit you with a ball or something ? hahaha
What did you think of Freddie Flintoff say 4 years ago?
would you have said he was no good?

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
TEC will you at least agree that bowlers dont often start at the best they are going to bowl generally?
That bowlers sometime take some time to learn the trade as did Flintoff.
That not all Watsons wickets in the ODI were not luck?
That he is still young enough to learn new skills?
That he has somethin a lot of average bowlers like Ronnie Irani dont have ,140/145 km per hour balls?
That he can bat and is a good fielder?
And finally that deep down under all the hatred,you really love Shane Watson and want to be like him and want a couple of him in your team >?? hahaha by the way who do you follow in cricket TEC?

tooextracool

International Coach
jlo33692 said:
TEC did Watson hit you with a ball or something ? hahaha
What did you think of Freddie Flintoff say 4 years ago?
would you have said he was no good?
almost anybody who watched freddie bowl 4 years ago would have told you that he was no good.

tooextracool

International Coach
jlo33692 said:
TEC will you at least agree that bowlers dont often start at the best they are going to bowl generally?
yes but bowlers that get persevered with generally show potential,watson has not shown any ofi it just yet. and until he does, i refuse to acknowledge him as anything other than rubbish.

jlo33692 said:
That bowlers sometime take some time to learn the trade as did Flintoff.
because every bowler who gets picked will turn into flintoff? you cannot pick players like mark ealham in the test side and expect them to turn into flintoff,because bowlers going from rubbish to very good is very very rare.

jlo33692 said:
That not all Watsons wickets in the ODI were not luck?.
so which one of his wickets was due to good bowling then?

jlo33692 said:
That he is still young enough to learn new skills?.
so why not pick every 20 year old bowler in australia who bowls at 140mph then?

jlo33692 said:
That he has somethin a lot of average bowlers like Ronnie Irani dont have ,140/145 km per hour balls?.
and ronnie irani had something that he doesnt have, the ability to swing the ball and yet maintain and accurate line and length. pace without anything else is almost always useless

jlo33692 said:
That he can bat and is a good fielder?
and where have i denied that?

jlo33692 said:
And finally that deep down under all the hatred,you really love Shane Watson and want to be like him and want a couple of him in your team
i do not 'hate' shane watson. nor do i hate any player in world cricket who does not make an a** of himself when he is given the mic. and given that my team is england, i doubt we could use watsons talent at the moment, and i doubt too many county sides would pick him for his bowling alone.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
OK then TEC it is not half obvious that you do not rate Watson at all, i can name at least 8 of his wickets that i do not think were lucky as common sense would tell you that all wickets in 12 cant be luck,this was not against a run of the mill side this was a world 11, But if i named the balls i felt were good and got the batsman out rather than getting them selves out you will surley refute them and say you thought they were luck,so the excersise is pointless.What i will say in Watsons defence is that you yourself said that anyone who say flintoff 4 years ago would have seen that he was no good.
You will at least ackwoledge that people do get it wrong sometimes and think a bowler is crap then the bowler gets a couple of MOM and unlucky not to get a MOS,as well as claiming more wickets than anyone else in the series,and people then have to take note that this is a very quick bowler ,with a willingness to work his butt of and learn,as reverse swing and things are balls that can be learned,then the chances are that you may also have the call on watson wrong,as you did with Flintoff. However TEC i think you are never going to be convinced about Watson even if he plays in the super test and gets a bag of wickets,you will just say they are lucky wickets,i dont know what more the bloke can do to at least get you to admit that he has the potential to be a good bowler and allrounder? TEC do you like any one in the aussie side? ,if so ca 8-) n you tell me which ones as i have read your other posts and you have said langer,overated,ponting overrated,watson just hopeless,tait the same,hayden overrated,im thinking you dont like the aussies for some reason hahaha come on now be truthful...

Last edited: