• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official ** Sri Lanka in New Zealand tour

psxpro

Banned
You are overestimating srilanka. while guys like jayasuria are very dangerous he is hardly a gilchrist. Nothing like it. Nowhere as consistant. I'm picking us to win if it doesnt rain

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
psxpro said:
You are overestimating srilanka. while guys like jayasuria are very dangerous he is hardly a gilchrist. Nothing like it. Nowhere as consistant. I'm picking us to win if it doesnt rain
We can continue this rhetoric without getting nowhere !! :p Lets wait for the Tests to begin. Good Luck to the Black Caps ! Though I will be wishing otherwise once the Tests start ! :D

Natman20

International Debutant
When I see our domestic guys in the Major Association XI compete with them that tells me that it could be NZs series

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Natman20 said:
When I see our domestic guys in the Major Association XI compete with them that tells me that it could be NZs series
You mean the one innings played followed by 2 rainy days, where macmillan was dropped a few times and got a century and a couple of others made starts (and got 20s and 30s) in a practice run for the SL Team on their first outing ? :D :D :D

Natman20

International Debutant
JASON said:
You mean the one innings played followed by 2 rainy days, where macmillan was dropped a few times and got a century and a couple of others made starts (and got 20s and 30s) in a practice run for the SL Team on their first outing ? :D :D :D
Players that don't have much or any international experience yeah I think a score of over 300 to them is pretty good

dinu23

International Debutant
Natman20 said:
Players that don't have much or any international experience yeah I think a score of over 300 to them is pretty good
that 300+ was mostly due to mcmillan. if he wasn't dropped they would've folded much earlier.

anzac

International Debutant
psxpro said:
You gotta be kidding if you want to drop mccullum. Hopkins isn't as good.
Mccullum will do well against Srilanka imo. He just had an off series vs Aus. I beleive he is class, I know it won't happen but I'd love to see Mccullum open, he showed even in the 20/20 match he could handle guys like lee with the new ball.
He also showed in england when harminson was in form that he could play the new ball at no 3 and he hit a brilliant 96.
as the warm up game has been washed out I think there is little chance of McCullum surrendering his spot in the team now...............

like you I think he is a tremendous prospect for NZL, but IMO he is going to hard at the bowling too soon - I think I said he was doing a Macca.............the last thing I want is for him to do a Parore..................

anzac

International Debutant
Kippax said:
I hate to say it, but I suppose there should be some consideration of McMillan as a 'horses for courses' selection against SL next week. If there's one thing he's probably done better than any other BC in his career, it's been toying with Asian medium-pacers and spinners who aren't world-class.

His record against SL in particular isn't very impressive though. Just the one big test score (142) that helped us win in Colombo, and a 20.7 ODI average.
GOD NO!!!!!!!!

give this batting lineup a chance in the 1st Test at least.................Vincent showed that he can put the foot down & did a far better job in this series than Macca has shown since the IND Tour - were Vincent also scored a ton................while still struggling as an opener........

anzac

International Debutant
Kippax said:
A pity that Fulton ran himself out on Monday from what I heard (interesting that he was played as an opener "at the request of the national selectors").

That dismissal may end up costing him a chance of an African tour spot with the BCs in Sep/Oct, if they take a squad of 15 (which is what they took back in 2000).

With about 10 days of relevant cricket left (the tour of ZIM and Styris' form for Middlesex will have a pretty limited influence IMO), this would be my guess at the current pecking order for the test squad to tour SA:

Batsmen/batting all-rounders
1. H Marshall
2. Fleming
3. Oram
4. Astle
5. Cumming
6. Styris
7. J Marshall
8. Vincent
9. Sinclair
10. McMillan
11. Fulton
12. Ryder

Bowlers
1. Vettori
2. Bond (providing he declares himself ready for tests)
3. Franklin
4. Wiseman
5. C Martin
6. Butler
7. O'Brien
8. Mills
9. Tuffey

Keepers
1. McCullum
2. Hopkins
3. Papps
I'd expect to see some of the newer batsmen strengthen their claim over the SRL series, particularly as IMO they will stick to a 6-4 split..............

those players that have been out with injury & poor form will have to hope that few of the bowlers put their hand up anytime soon - Tuffey esp is very doubtful on form alone for mind - much as Papps doesn't even enter into my considerations due to his technique v pace.............

it will be interesting to see in the SRL series how the Marshal twins handle the SRL spin attack.............

anzac

International Debutant
I read that Vettori has a sore back & may have to miss the 1st Test next week at least..........apparently it was been sore since the 1st Test v AUS - didn't he bowl a lot in the 1st innings - and wasn't he having the same problems after the ODIs????

anzac

International Debutant
as much as he's been our most effective bowler (& batsman) I'd rather he not play if he's not 100%.........

if he doesn't make it then Wiseman will be the obvious 1st choice spin option.............but I'm not sure if they'll look at a possible 2nd spin option or a slow / medium bowling alternative...........

likewise if Vettori doesn't make it then they have another opportunity to bring back Macca..................and no doubt they'll use his 'form' in the warm up game as the reason for doing so in a head to head comparisson to any of the other contenders like Fulton..........

anzac

International Debutant
I still don't understand why the selectors would want Fulton to open - they did so in his ODI appearance v BAN, and supposedly now in the warm up game.............particularly if they feel that he has back foot issues!!!!!!!!

I don't think he's opened in either 'A' or Nth v Sth games..............yet another example of the selectors stuffing a player around by playing them out of position in the Top of the order........yet not being prepared to touch senior players who are not performing in the middle order...............

by contrast AUS blood their 'newbies' at #5 / #6 no matter what their domestic credentials or State positions.............aren't Katich, Clarke & Hussey all top order players for their State teams in ODs at least????? and we know Boof used to Open at State level...............

anzac

International Debutant
even tho' I like this current NZL batting lineup I'm still not sure the order is quite right as yet.........IMO the #6 needs to be more of a grafter to hold the lower order together & build partnerships with the likes of Oram, McCullum & Vettori - I just think the likes of Astle & Styris are too much 'at the bowling' and not a high enough proportion of SS & singles especially.........

and should Vettori miss the series then IMO they will need such a player in that role.........as this is basically what he did, but at #8 it's too late with not enough batting around to get the greatest impact...............

of the current lineup I'd look at Vincent or Hamish, or even possibly James if they had another opening option.......

Cumming, James, Hamish, Flem, Astle, Vincent, McCullum, Franklin, Wiseman, O'Brien, Martin................although I'd feel more confident with Hamish at #6 atm..........

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
anzac said:
I'd expect to see some of the newer batsmen strengthen their claim over the SRL series, particularly as IMO they will stick to a 6-4 split........
I'll be interested to see what happens if someone like Vincent scores heavily against SL. He'll either push Styris out of the African tour squad, or they'd have to take 8 batsmen (counting Oram) and one less bowler.

In addition to it usually being our bowlers who need the injury cover, it's also quite hard finding the right bowler to cut from my list -

a) I can already hear Butler's tantrum if he's left out- "once again Bracewell has denied me a chance on harder, faster decks".
b) C. Martin will presumably try to dine out on his SA record in a 'horses for courses' fashion.
c) Wiseman needs to travel as the second spin option.
d) Franklin's starting to develop a bit more pace, and will dine out on his 6-fer against the Aussies that no other BC managed this season.

anzac said:
those players that have been out with injury & poor form will have to hope that few of the bowlers put their hand up anytime soon - Tuffey esp is very doubtful on form alone for mind - much as Papps doesn't even enter into my considerations due to his technique v pace..........
Tuffey's got the whole winter/spring off now, surely. Any African tour spot given to him would be a dangerous punt on him suddenly getting his act together.

I agree with your thoughts regarding Papps (SA would love to see him on their turf, and aren't afraid to tell anyone that), but if McCullum or Hopkins were unavailable I have no idea who NZ's next keeper would be. If not Papps, maybe McGlashan.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
zinzan12 said:
Mills has just been announced as replacement for unfit Vettori
How bad is Vettori injury, what the chances of him missing the 1st Test, also what is the news on Oram injury, any chance for the 1st Test or even the 2nd. With out those two then i think Sri Lanka might be slightly favorites. There will be allot of pressure on the bowlers who are left if their out.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
anzac said:
I still don't understand why the selectors would want Fulton to open - they did so in his ODI appearance v BAN, and supposedly now in the warm up game.............particularly if they feel that he has back foot issues!!!!!!!!
I believe they can't find room for another player in NZ's EFFECTIVE middle order, and want him in there somehow. Due to the limited success of Cumming and J Marshall they obviously believe he should open!

IMO the best option is to bring in Fulton at #3, move Hamish down to #6 (as you have also stated) and find another opener; probably How.

As much as I disagree with the opening option for Fulton, he basically performs this for Canterbury, as the result of the Papps' poor form in recent times.

The ABs tried this tactic in the 99, thinking they should have all the best players in the team at once, rather than playing the best options for each position. And we all know how it blew up in their faces in the World Cup!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Kippax said:
I agree with your thoughts regarding Papps (SA would love to see him on their turf, and aren't afraid to tell anyone that), but if McCullum or Hopkins were unavailable I have no idea who NZ's next keeper would be. If not Papps, maybe McGlashan.
Isn't Vincent a half decent keeper, he kept for u guys in ODIs