• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in England

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
a massive zebra said:
And they may well have been taken off Lewis as his slower pace gives the fielders more time to react.
That's gotta be one of the worst posts ever.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Jono said:
That's gotta be one of the worst posts ever.
It may appear so at first glance but when you actually stop and think about it, my post is not that stupid. When you have an opportunity to take a catch, would you be more confident in catching the ball if it was coming at 45 mph or 100 mph? I know what I would chose and obviously the ball is more likely to come off the bat quickly when it has been delivered by a fast man. If Richard compiles first chance averages for bowlers then I would put money on the fact that spinners are less affected by dropped catches than the faster men.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Shocking decision.

And Hawkeye's view on that delivery is rubbish too.

That was clearly out. In normal motion, in slow motion, in everything.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Real time I thought it was missing off, and in fairness to Hawkeye it did hit him on the thighpad and he's a tall bloke. More than enough doubt to justify the not-out.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
a massive zebra said:
It may appear so at first glance but when you actually stop and think about it, it is not that stupid. When you have an opportunity to take a catch, would you be more confident in catching the ball if it was coming at 45 mph or 100 mph? I know what I would chose and obviously the ball is more likely to come off the bat quickly when it has been delivered by a fast man. If Richard compiles first chance averages for bowlers then I would put money on the fact that spinners are less affected by this than the faster men.
All I know is that Hayden doesn't stand at slip to seamers but does to Warne. Assumably he finds it easier catching the slower ball.

And speaking of Richard, I haven't seen him in ages, is it just me, or what, where is he?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
All I know is that Hayden doesn't stand at slip to seamers but does to Warne. Assumably he finds it easier catching the slower ball.
OTOH a slip fielder will have less reaction time to the spinners due to standing so much closer. Hayden must be something of an anomaly, no? I can't think of any others.

PY

International Coach
GeraintIsMyHero said:

And speaking of Richard, I haven't seen him in ages, is it just me, or what, where is he?
He goes on sabbatical for periods of time. He'll be back, don't you worry.

PY

International Coach
KP obviously likes Sri Lanka!

Back to back centuries, today's effort @ SR of 85+. Mental :D

PY

International Coach
When was the last time England played five batsmen with averages over forty?

Can't have been for quite some time. :)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:
When was the last time England played five batsmen with averages over forty?

Can't have been for quite some time. :)
Lord's a couple of weeks ago?

Apart from that, maybe Edgbaston last year. I reckon Tres, Strauss, Vaughan, Bell & KP all averaged over 40 at that point. Probably at Old Trafford too.

EDIT
Maybe the 3rd test against NZ in 2004. Geraint Jones may have averaged over 40 at that stage, plus Tres, Strauss, Vaughan & Thorpe.

And maybe the 2nd test in India a few months back. Strauss, Cook & KP definitely averaged over 40. Bell & Collingwood probably did at that point.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Why does Collingwood bat above Flintoff? He's clearly not in the same class as a batsman and I think Flintoff can get enough of a rest before the 3rd wicket falls.

PY

International Coach
OK, in terms of eras then smarty-pants. :p

Pre-2003?

TMS are talking about how Murali is struggling to bowl to Pietersen, it surely can only be the fact that KP plays everything to legside so he's always playing with the spin whereas Warney obviously spins the other way and KP struggled sometimes when he went aerial last year.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PY said:

Pre-2003?

TMS are talking about how Murali is struggling to bowl to Pietersen, it surely can only be the fact that KP plays everything to legside so he's always playing with the spin whereas Warney obviously spins the other way and KP struggled sometimes when he went aerial last year.

How many times have England played with three batsman averaging 50+? India has Tendulkar, Sehwag, Dravid. This is a serious question, I'm trying to find that out for all sides.

a massive zebra

International Captain
PY said:

Pre-2003?

Well Pietersen also dominated Warne didn't he? He averaged over 50 in that series and Warne didn't get him out too much.

a massive zebra

International Captain
silentstriker said:
How many times have England played with three batsman averaging 50+? India has Tendulkar, Sehwag, Dravid. This is a serious question, I'm trying to find that out for all sides.
Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Hammond?

Barrington, Boycott, Dexter?

Hutton, May, Compton?

Hutton, Hammond, Compton?

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
I guess not, he was out to Warne three times and all of those were trying to hit through the legside.

KP goes aerial......to cow corner. :D

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:

Pre-2003?
That's tougher. Maybe at Lord's in 1972. Boycott, Greig & D'Oliviera all averaged over 40 at that point, I reckon. Edrich and/or Luckhurst may well have done at that stage too.

Maybe at the start of the 1974/5 Ashes, come to think of it. I can't remember the exact lineup, but Amiss, Lloyd, Edrich, Greig and even Denness may well have averaged over 40 at that point. Possibly Fletcher too. Of course, that had all changed by the end of the series.

I can't imagine there was any point in the 80's or 90's given the state of our batting then.